Chance

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:49 pm

Goddamn effin' assholes. (Didn't figure Lynx would go for that as the title, but they are.)

I was in the local nursery today under protest. Usually I avoid the place, because not only do they sell pocket pets, but they rampantly breed their own rats and mice. This is where Spot et al came from.

But I bowed before the whining demands of my husband and child, as they didn't want to go all the way into Omaha to look at potted plants for the gardens.

Even knowing the circumstances, I had to look. I just glanced, and then went out and bought my plants. When I came back into the main part of the nursery, Jade was looking at the guinea pigs. Three, very young, in an aquarium, in a pile. I just wanted to sex them. Two were OK, and ran off when I reached in. The last one (Chance, since he now has one) layed there and flopped like a landed fish. His butt was all covered in blood and mucous.

I pull him out, and take him up front, where I tell them he needs a vet, and now. They tell me that they don't take them to the vet, too expensive, that they give them back to their 'supplier' and she euthenizes them with CO2.

Dear god.

Like I said, effin' assholes.

I say I am taking him, they send me off with best wishes that he gets well. And I am never, ever setting foot in there again.

So, I took Chance to the vet. He is small, an abyssinian teddy I think, and weighs 271 grams. Very young.

Unlike my first impression, his intestines are not squeezing out his butt, so I figure he has a chance. Although I couldn't sex him right away, there was too much shit glued to his butt. We got him cleaned up enough at the vets to finally do that.

He has lice. He has an URI. The vet suspects he has giardia. He has scurvy so bad he can't move his legs right and they hurt him like hell. Despite the blood and mucous coming out his butt, he has firm poops. In fact, they look too dry, and he has dehydration.

I now have, at my disposal, the following:

Lactated Ringers
Panacur Suspension 10 mg/mL, dose is 0.14 cc 1x a day (for the giardia)
Meloxicam 1.5 mg/mL This is left over from Spot, whom he weighs about the same as. Her dose was 0.12 mg 2x a day. (This, if I give it, would be to help with the scurvy pain)
Chewable Vit C
Enrofloxacin 10 mg/mL 0.14 cc 2x a day. (for the URI)
Children's Advil (grabbed it just in case, same purpose as the Meloxicam)

I have some fresh grass for him, some pellets soaking, and he has hay. I ran to work right away (quite late, actually) so I just grabbed everything, and I have to work, so I am hoping someone will sort through this with me. I don't have time to think it through and double check at the moment, so the only thing he has received, at this time, is 10 cc of the LRS given SQ. I had no idea how much to give him, just knew he needed it very badly. I gave him 5cc up on his neck, and 5 cc down by his hips.

If I have forgotten something let me know. I am pissed, shaking, late, and not thinking straight.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:56 pm

Holy crap... No real advice but I wish you the best of luck. He's lucky that you stumbled across him.

ChadWPB

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:57 pm

You have my best wishes.

Some people just don't get it.

Excuse me while I go hug my pigs.

My wife thought the name was perfect.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:59 pm

Is the vet doing a gram stain and fecal culture?

Do you have Advantage for his lice?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:00 pm

Let me just say, wow. It really sounds like you've sorted it already and thank God you decided to go in. This is one awful place. I know adults are given 30-60cc's of fluid but he's a baby so 10 cc's might be just right. I hope he makes it.

elaineko
Supportive

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:03 pm

I'm glad you got him, and I hope he does ok!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:18 pm

Damn. That place should go out of business and never sell animals again. I hope your new pig recovers quickly.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:24 pm

Hey Nurgle, that little pig is so lucky.

Flagyl is my drug of choice for Giardia. Try that if the Panacur doesn't stop the diarrhea.

Here's what I would have in my little med basket (very much like yours)

Advantage & Ivermectin
Some kind of diarrhea medication (pet pectin, kaopectate w/o bismuth, Loperamide)
Flagyl
LRS (25 ml q 12h if severe dehydration)
Meloxicam
Vit C (50 mg in the a.m. 50 mg in the p.m.)
Critical Care with a little 'bulk' added (I like oats)
Heating pad/microwave heat packs/Thermalcare

He's dehydrated from the diarrhea so you need to stop it.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:32 pm

I am so glad you have the opportunity to save this little guy. He is very lucky. Nice job Nurgle. I hope those bastards roast in hell with their intestines slowly getting pulled out with a red hot pitch fork.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:50 pm

No diareaha (sp?) yet. His poops that he made in the last hour or two after the LRS look much better--moist. I think that he is dehydrated because his legs hurt so bad from the (hopefully) scurvy. He couldn't walk to the water bottle.

I have a break in rounds for a little bit, so I now have time to sit down with him and give him stuff.

Plans for the next hour:
Give him the antibiotic. Give him the Panacur. Give him 125 mg of Vit. C. Handfeed as much pellet mush as he will take, although he was eating the hay and grass I shoved in the carrier on my way to work.

I would really like to give him the Meloxicam, but he is very young. I'm going to search out Pinta's dosing instructions, or the meds page, and see if it is contraindicated in youth.

I was going to do the topical Ivermectin tomorrow morning for the lice and the fact that I'm betting he has mites. If you think the Advantage would be a better choice, tell me. I have the Ivermectin (lots of it) on hand, would have to go buy the Advantage. Not sure it is OTC here in NE either.

Again, keep things coming. As the night goes on, my critical thinking skills will go into the toilet, although anger and adrenalin are doing wonders for my energy levels at the moment. Although my hands are shaking pretty bad.

And if anyone has an idea for jury-rigging some sort of heat pad, I'd love to hear it, because I can't actually leave work to get anything for another three or four hours. I'm stuck with what I have here.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:56 pm

Oh God. I'm glad you found the little guy.

For a heat source, filling a pop plastic bottle with hot water and wrapping it in a towel might do. He could lie next to it.

I'd go with the topical Ivermectin, too, since it will help with both lice and mites.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:59 pm

Hey, E, that is a very good idea for the bottle. Have a lot of those kicking around the lab.

Can anyone confirm that Meloxicam has a dosing of 0.2 mg/kg? If this is true, then Spot's dose was around 10x what it should have been.

ThatKat

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:01 pm

Heat pad - use the bag of Lactated Ringers (microwave it) and wrap it in a towel. That's what we do at work. We usually microwave one bag for about 2 minutes, but of course it will vary depending on the microwave you have. It will stay hot longer than the pop bottle and will be softer for the baby to lay on.

We want to see pictures!!!!!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:02 pm

Isn't he too small for Ivermectin, or is topical okay for baby pigs?

My pigs on Meloxicam have been dosed at between .1 (Einstein, just now) and .3 (Suzi post-spay) mg/kg.
Last edited by salana on Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThatKat

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:03 pm

I have heard the dose varying from .2 up to .5 mg/kg, depending on whether it's given once or twice a day, and how severe the pain is. I'm thinking it's usually .3 or .4, but I could be wrong.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:04 pm

salana, I don't know. He is below the weight Lynx recommends, but the vet said to treat him with the ivermectin.

It may be that they are just more sensitive, or who knows, but the vet said to treat. I won't treat if someone says absolutely not, but at this point, I am.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:05 pm

Spot was prescribed 0.12 cc of 1.5 mg/mL meloxicam. She weight 285 g. I did the math once, and the dose should have been way lower than that, I think. But I am not thinking well.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:06 pm

Would you happen to have rice? Put in a tube sock and warm in microwave.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:07 pm

How big is he?
-----------------
Oups. You posted his weight at the same time.

ThatKat

Post   » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:08 pm

I just checked Big George's old bottle of Metacam. He weighed about 600 grams, and his dose was .12 cc's twice daily. He was on Metacam for arthritis. That's .225 mg/kg. I remember it being dosed at .4 mg/kg once to twice daily for Jake, though - the piggy with the severely broken leg.

297 posts