Broken teeth

Oreoandnugget

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:00 pm

I am posting for a neighbor. She has two bonded boars. One plays very violently with his water bottle. He is generally a rambunctious pig. This afternoon, she texted me freaking out because ... both his top front teeth are broken off at the gum line! We’re both a little shocked. I did a lot of research. I don’t think it’s scurvy because he has no other symptoms, and the teeth are not loose - just jagged. I gave her information about syringe feeding, etc, but he is able to eat kale and things if he can get the food back to his molars. She’s also rinsing his mouth with saline. But I’m concerned about an infection, and the eating issue, until they grow back in. What other problems could result from this? I’ll try to upload a pic.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Have her read over:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

If she is providing a good diet with a quality pellet, it is unlikely to be a vitamin C deficiency and more likely a simple break. Note on that page how quickly the tooth will grow back, note that sometimes the first "grow-back" may break again before growing properly, and note the tips that include weighing and how to feed a guinea pig who is having problems eating.

p.s. kale has lots of vitamin C in it.

Oreoandnugget

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you. He’s doing alright, actually eating his hay, but she’s syringe feeding him pellet mash, water and baby food. He seems alert and content. I can’t believe a guinea pig can do that on a water bottle!😳

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm

But they can, or on the cage bars. You might want to line the inside of the cage with plexiglass, and/or raise the water bottle so he can just reach it to drink, but not chew on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 pm

www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Pumpkin babyfood mixed with pellets is, I think, the only baby food that is recommended.