Small scab on foot???

chewy106

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 pm

https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/
This is a picture of Chewy's foot that I took today. Today when I was holding him, I felt that he had something on his foot. He doesn't seem to be in pain at all and he eats like he always does, but I am so worried. Is this little scab normal or is it something serious I should get checked out?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:05 pm

I think you can keep track of the foot. Make sure the cage is cleaned often and he is not standing in wet bedding. You could give the whole foot a gentle rinse with warm water and dry it.

Let me know if you'd like your picture added permanently to your topic for future readers.

chewy106

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Could you do that please? So I wouldn't' need to take him to the vet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Yes, I think you can hold off seeing a vet. That scab is very small and looks healthy. The only flag on the foot is the redness and that sometimes happens if there is irritation of the foot from type of bedding and/or pee.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Here's your picture:

chewy106

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:27 pm

Thank you very much, is there anything I could do to help him with the redness?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 pm

I'd treat it like the beginnings of bumblefoot and treat accordingly. Epsom salts soaks, followed by a thorough rinse and an application of cold pressed virgin coconut oil should ward off any serious problems.

Here's the pododermatitis link: https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 am

Read and heed the warning regarding the Epsom salt soaks on the page.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:21 pm

What kind of bedding is he on? I'm not saying I think this is necessarily bumblefoot, but if it is, you want to nip it in the bud. We had a pig with bad bumblefoot and one thing the vet told us to do was switch from wood chips to fleece (with waterproof bottom) and a couple of layers of towels underneath to increase the softness. She also got daily foot soaks in warm water with something the vet prescribed - can't remember what it was.

chewy106

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Well Chewy is on puppy pads. Also an update. This is a picture of his foot again. https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/
I started giving him the Epsom salt soaks on his foot, and I have no idea if it is getting better or if this is bumblefoot. Does this mean he is getting better or should I go to the vet?? Also I'm not sure how to explain this, but it looks like there is some skin peeling or something?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Are you rubbing it with any oil to soften the skin?

I'd give it a while longer with the Epsom salts and oil treatment. Foot problems can take a long time to resolve, and it's only been a few days since you started with this.

chewy106

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 pm

What oil should I rub his foot with? Also do you think I should take him to the vet, or is it okay to just keep on doing the soaks and oil?