Ear polyps

ottosmom

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:44 pm

My 3.5 year old male piggy was diagnosed with ear polyps today. I've been treating him for a month for an ear infection, but it wasn't clearing up. The vet masked him today and got a closer look inside his ear canal and saw the polyps which are blocking his ear canal and causing the infection. He is scheduled for surgery to remove them. Anyone else have experience with ear polyps in their guinea pig? I'm still treating with Tresaderm to help reduce the inflammation.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:57 pm

Did you look at this current thread?
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15830
Does it look similar?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:00 pm

It's actually inside the ear canal, Lynx. This is a problem in some cats, but I've never heard it diagnosed in cavies. Very interesting. The normal treatment is indeed surgical removal of the polyps and any otic treatment for preexisting ear infections.

ottosmom

Post   » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:54 pm

It doesn't look quite like that. The mass that I can see in the canal is smaller. The vet said there were a lot of smaller ones down inside his ear that he was able to see with Otto under gas. He said he has seen similar ear polyps in dogs and cats.

ottosmom

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:43 pm

Otto had surgery today for the mass removal in his ear. The vet said he got as much of it out as he could, but because it went way down into the canal, he couldn't get it all out today. He will not know if it is benign or malignant until the lab results come back. Either way, he's not out of the woods. Even if it is not cancer, because he couldn't get it all of the ear canal, it is going to come back and he will have a chronic ear infection. If it is cancer, it will eventually spread into other areas. Otto is on oral Baytril and pain meds and I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens with the lab results. He is eating and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort right now.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:47 pm

Thanks for the update. I hope there is a good outcome.

ottosmom

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:54 pm

Diagnostics came back for the mass removed form Otto's ear and it was benign. The vet said they were polyps. His incision is healing nicely. We start Baytril Otic drops and in a couple weeks he wants to use steroid drops. Since he couldn't remove all of the polyps, Otto may be dealing with a chronic ear infection. For now it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:55 pm

Good to hear. That's the best outcome you can have given the situation.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:42 pm

Benign is good. I hope ear infections don't end up being much of a problem (infrequent; easily controlled).

ottosmom

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:53 am

Update on Otto:

While the ear he had surgery on is looking good, the formation of polyps and infection has spread to the other ear. I am treating with drops to try and control the inflammation. Because the polyps are so deep in the canal, removal is not possible and they will continue to come back even if he removes the superficial ones. At this point all we can do is treat the infection and make sure he's comfortable. So far he doesn't appear to be in pain, but I'm watching him like a hawk.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking there will come a time when the infection gets too out of hand and Otto will be in too much discomfort and then I will have to make the decision to let him go.

I haven't lost a piggy yet. Otto is only about 4 now, still a spring chicken. I hope we can keep this problem in check. :+(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:02 am

Is there a fungal cause? Would treating with Program (Lufenuron) help?

ottosmom

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:14 am

I will certainly discuss this with his vet ASAP. Thanks Lynx.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:53 am

Would it be possible, if it gets really bad, to take them out even if it might destroy his hearing? Or is there a physical limitation like his skull being in the way?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:43 pm

With the inner ear there might, of course, be balance issues.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:27 pm

But the canal stops at the eardrum, correct?

ottosmom

Post   » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:28 pm

I had Otto put to sleep today. The fleshy mass in his ear had grown very large and the infection could not be controlled. He was startinig to spend more time hunched up in his hidey spot and was not eating like he used to. He's been having runny poops too. I've been giving him Metacam so hopefully he hasn't been in much pain. I just couldn't bear to watch him go downhill, and eventually lose his balance and his faculties.

I will miss my big sweet Otto. He is the reason I am a cavy-slave now. Otto belonged to one of my son's preschool friends. The family asked if I could pig sit him while they went camping for a week in August of 2001. They brought him over in a wire-bottomed rabbit cage with no hay and only pellets. I admit I was scared to handle him. I didn't know if he would bite or not so I borrowed my husband's leather gloves to take him out of the cage to clean it.

I wanted to find out more about caring for guinea pigs, and that is when I found GL. A month after I pig-sat Otto, I found out they were keeping him outside in the 100 degree weather. I asked what they planned to do in the winter and they suggested he would probably end up in the garage. The kids had lost interest in him and the mom was taking care of him, sort of. I flat out asked her if I could I have him. She was very pleased to turn him over to me and I am so glad I was able to spend the last 3 years with him.

RIP Otto.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:32 pm

I'm sorry OM.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:33 pm

I'm very sorry. You were good to him and I'm sure he appreciated it.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:42 pm

I'm sorry, rest in peace Otto.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:00 am

I'm so sorry.

23 posts