Medical and Care Reference
Home Register Profile Faq Records GLX-Files Search

DMSO with Fluocin with Baytril topical for Bumblefoot?
Goto page 1,   2   Next 
Guinea Lynx Forums -> Emergency & Medical Print
Older Thread :: Newer Thread  
9/1/2002, 10:43 pm
Teresa   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Teresa
Picky Pig Pusher

Prescribed by a vet for bumblefoot. Thoughts?
9/1/2002, 11:52 pm
Josephine   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Josephine
Beauty and a Brain

Little Jo Wheek

Hmmm... I don´t personally care for DMSO. It may help to get the swelling down, but has an awful rancid garlic smell. It is also absorbed through human skin and you will taste it just by having touched it! Yucky. I got edema and cellulitis down by treating solely for the bacteria.

I haven´t tried the Baytril topically for this condition. It might be a good idea. I had great success on my pododermatitis pigs with chlorhex soaks and BNP topically. Is this for the Hollister pigs? Are they still having problems? After this amount of time there should be some progress. There may be some damaging osteomyelitis hanging up the healing.

Oh, and that Fluocin is a topical steroid. Not sure if I´d go for the steroids, but it might help reduce swelling. I personally don´t use steroids unless it´s an emergency and the pig is dying (or in pain). Topical steroids are less harsh, but they do have side-effects on the body.
Sharlene actually used systemic steroids on two of her worst pododermatitis cases. It was suspected, however, that the cause of their problems had something to do with an autoimmune disease.

Edited by Josephine on 9/2/2002, 12:07 am
9/2/2002, 1:57 am
Teresa
Picky Pig Pusher

Yes, several Hollister pigs still have significant bumblefoot. Soaks and meds have been done.
9/2/2002, 6:16 am
Lynx   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Josephine, do you bandage and wrap your pigs´ feet also? Are your chlorhex soaks with BNP applied topically done once or twice a day? Is the chlorhex diluted or used full strength?

Sorry for all the questions, but it may help someone else (and I could add another method of treatment to the foot page).
9/2/2002, 9:54 am
Josephine
Beauty and a Brain

Little Jo Wheek

I think I´ve covered this many times before :)

Yes, I wrap the feet when they are ulcerated. Once they are healed to the point of no scabs/open sores, I leave well enough alone. I also use systemic antibiotics. Baytril is the best for penetrating bone. The BNP is applied BID and the soaks are done BID with diluted chlorhexidine. I think I stopped doing the soaks once the ulcerations were gone, but I continued the ointment to help moisturize and get some topical ab on it.

If these pigs have not been on Baytril, I would put them on it for at least a month. 10mgs/kg/day of course. Taking an xray can tell you a bit about bone involvement and prognosis. I know you can´t amputate multiple feet, but after a couple of months of treatment, that may provide the best prognosis if one is worse than the others. I try not to, of course. These cases can take months, but you should be seing improvement.

I also suggest bedding on towels and unabrasive bedding. Not sure if Carefresh is soft enough. Possibly. I also made sure I changed the bedding daily when the pigs were out of their bandages.

I suppose the ointment prescribed could be your last ditch effort if none of the above seems to help. You might be dealing with some osteomyelitis. That would prolong things.
9/2/2002, 9:58 am
Josephine
Beauty and a Brain

Little Jo Wheek

I think I´ve covered this many times before :)

Yes, I wrap the feet when they are ulcerated. Once they are healed to the point of no scabs/open sores, I leave well enough alone. I also use systemic antibiotics. Baytril is the best for penetrating bone. The BNP is applied BID and the soaks are done BID with diluted chlorhexidine. I think I stopped doing the soaks once the ulcerations were gone, but I continued the ointment to help moisturize and get some topical ab on it.

If these pigs have not been on Baytril, I would put them on it for at least a month. 10mgs/kg/day of course. Taking an xray can tell you a bit about bone involvement and prognosis. I know you can´t amputate multiple feet, but after a couple of months of treatment, that may provide the best prognosis if one is worse than the others. I try not to, of course. These cases can take months, but you should be seing improvement.

I also suggest bedding on towels and unabrasive bedding. Not sure if Carefresh is soft enough. Possibly. I also made sure I changed the bedding daily when the pigs were out of their bandages.

I suppose the ointment prescribed could be your last ditch effort if none of the above seems to help. You might be dealing with some osteomyelitis. That would prolong things.
9/2/2002, 11:39 am
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Forgot you may have given details already (should have used the search feature). With the double post I´ll be sure to remember.
9/2/2002, 12:47 pm
Teresa
Picky Pig Pusher

BNP and BID again?
9/2/2002, 1:14 pm
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

I think bacitracin/neosporin/polysomething and twice a day.
9/2/2002, 1:21 pm
Josephine
Beauty and a Brain

Little Jo Wheek

Close. Bacitracin-Neomycin-Polymyxin B. The ingredients IN Neosporin. This is to say I think the generics are just as good. BID is every 12 hours, remember, Lynx?
9/2/2002, 1:53 pm
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Yes, Teach. So I was only close with the polysomething? Would make a good drug to patent, no? I´d like to see some parasomething and novosomething too.

Edited by Lynx on 9/2/2002, 1:55 pm
9/2/2002, 2:03 pm
Evangeline   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Evangeline
Queen of the Damned

J-
Watch out! People will get on their high horses again! You´re such a trouble maker.
9/2/2002, 5:07 pm
Josephine
Beauty and a Brain

Little Jo Wheek

Tell me about it! I get myself into more trouble...
9/2/2002, 5:37 pm
Evangeline   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Evangeline
Queen of the Damned

Oh yeah? Tell us about it!
10/10/2002, 11:17 am
LynnK   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
LynnK
Sly Cavy

Well it looks like maybe my Peanut has Bumble Foot it´s swollen a bit but not red at all and he has a scab behind one toe nail and then one pad is a little swollen. I can´t get into the vet until
next wednesday so I guess I will just have to try and keep the swelling down until then.
10/10/2002, 1:41 pm
Zoe   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Zoe

My major bumblefoot girl is doing slightly better. Her´s probably involves the bone. The swelling is slightly less, but still bad. She´s on TMS and chlorhexidine soaks daily. The best thing I discoved was bandaging the open wound with NEW SKIN Wound & Blister Dressing. You can cut it to the size you need and if you get it on right, it stays on really well and lets the wound drain while still being covered. She´s going to have to be bandaged for a long time and it isn´t hurting the skin on her feet like regular bandages do. Her wound looks really good now... like its healing.

Hope you can keep it from getting worse. You are lucky you can jump on it right now. Maggie was stuck in a stinky over crowded Hollister dog carrier for a long time with this foot... while pregnant.
10/10/2002, 3:03 pm
LynnK   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
LynnK
Sly Cavy

gee whiz poor maggie I´m sure she have enough to deal with the preganancy and to have a sore foot to good luck with her Zoe
8/22/2006, 10:55 pm
Frootloop   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Frootloop

My skinny pig just over this,
It was traumatic. My vet prescribed some suringed medicine mixed with pineapple juice (to which he loved) and what helped is soaking it in epsom salt and warm water, he didnt figit too much.

I paniced the first time it happened but this stuff really helped!
8/23/2006, 9:18 am
Josephine
Beauty and a Brain

Little Jo Wheek

Gosh, I wondered why such an old thread was brought up again.... Good thing I looked at the dates.
8/23/2006, 4:18 pm
Frootloop   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Frootloop

Definately its exciting to see other Pig lovers adn i'm not just alone in this!!!!!
[img]http://www.guinealynx.info/pics/.jpg[/img]           ::    
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1,   2   Next

Reply to topic  

-22F = -30C
-4F = -20C
14F = -10C

32F = 0C
41F = 5C
50F = 10C
59F = 15C
68F = 20C
77F = 25C
86F = 30C
95F = 35C

98.6F = 37C
100.4F = 38C
102.2F = 39C
104.0F = 40C
105.8F = 41C
107.6F = 42C
109.4F = 43C
111.2F = 44C
113.0F = 45C
114.8F = 46C
116.6F = 47C
118.4F = 48C
120.2F = 49C
122.0F = 50C

Guinea Pigs are for Life

Please Support Guinea Lynx in 2014

Order your Cavy Health Record Book today!

TRACIS' LINKS INDEX
"Successful Introductions"

Are you a Guinea Lynx Fan? Tell the world on Facebook!

Contact Us --- Home