Distended Belly.. just need some advice/support?

cdillman

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Hello! I am new to the forums, but I have been using Guinea Lynx religiously for years when it comes to taking care of my piggies!

My oldest piggie, Booda is about 5.5-6 years old. He stopped eating recently and I took him into the vet, they put him on 0.5 CC baytril and .75 of Reglan twice daily, plus I've been hand feeding him. Two days later (today) he was worse. Lost 10 grams, pretty lethargic, wouldn't eat anymore critical care, and so on. I took him back in, and they took X-rays. He had a pretty big gas bubble for a belly. They gave him sub-q fluids and injectable baytril and reglan and sent me home.

He's moving around a bit more, but still not eating or drinking.

I've been hand feeding him every 4 hours or so, should I be doing it more frequently? The vet basically told me that if he makes it through the night, which is unlikely, that I might just have to euthanize him in the morning. But there's always a chance. Is there anything more I can do for him?

Caitlin

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Are you syringing fluids to him? He needs to keep hydrated. You can use plain water or unflavored pedialyte if you can get some.

Is he pooping at all? You need to keep his system moving or he will go into statis. I am not an expert, maybe someone will be along soon with more advice for you.

I think every 4 hours is ok, but not positive. I would not go longer than that. I hope he feels better soon.

Did they check his teeth at all?

You are right, there is always a chance.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Sending good thoughts for Booda, and I hope that he feels better.

Did the vet give a reason for prescribing the Baytril?

Booda should not be getting worse on an antibiotic. If there is a suspected infection, he may need a different antibiotic.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

Since he is losing weight, you will need to handfeed enough to help him maintain his weight.

cdillman

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:46 pm

I am syringing him water every 30-45 minutes. He is not pooping, which makes me wonder if I should be feeding him more to try to get him to poop. They didn't do specific x-rays on his teeth, but they did inspect them and put a scope thing in his mouth to check his back teeth and look down his throat (they suspected throat ulcers at first)

cdillman

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

He put him on Baytril because he had discharge from his eyes and nose and was really rattly in his breathing. Since being on the baytril that has improved greatly the discharge is almost gone and the rattling is gone as well. He was doing really well yesterday, acting more energetic and eating the critical care and such, then this morning he just started going downhill.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Simethicone may help break up the gas. Gently massage his belly too.

Is he eating?

If there is no blockage, you can handfeed. He can't poop if he isn't eating.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Keep feeding him every few hours around the clock. How long has it been since he pooped? How much are you feeding him?

cdillman

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:12 pm

He isn't eating. I'm trying to feed him 10 cc at every feeding. He's cooperative sometimes but others not so much ha. It has been quite a while since he pooped, a day almost, but I'm pretty sure I just found a poop. Just a single poop but that's something! I'm also rotating fresh veggies every couple of hours to try to encourage him to eat. He nibbles on them sometimes but doesn't show tons of interest. It's gonna be a looong night!

cdillman

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Also, I hate to post twice but is it a good idea to encourage him to move around? He's just sitting still in his little pigloo. Or should I just let him be?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:29 pm

You might want to also read www.guinealynx.info/.html#bloat and www.guinealynx.info/_advice.html

Pain medication might help too. He should be evaluated by a vet if he is bloated. This is an emergency.

cdillman

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Called the emergency vet about getting some pain meds. The vet on call does not know exotics and they are not willing to give me any medication until the exotic vet comes in tomorrow at 8 am. That's really frustrating.

somechick

Post   » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:47 pm

The two times I've been to the ER, it was not worth the $350. They don't have exotics on call and it's just annoying. I recently took my girl there for being really bloated and they were useless. What my current treatment now is handfeeding aggressively, sub-qs, reglan, and metacam.

I think the pain meds help when she's feeling so poorly. With this regimen she's usually feeling better within a day or two.

But yes, if she hasn't eaten in some time, there will be a lack of poop. Get the food in her system again and she'll poop it out. Even after my girl started eating and drinking on her own again, it was still a few days after that for her poops to be totally back to normal.

For me the most frustrating thing about gas is that even though we want to find the cause, there's nothing to even cure the gas itself. I wish there were a quick fix to make them feel better right then. Gas pain as a human is no fun and we can usually deal with it some how. I can't imagine how a poor pig feels. Good luck with your little guy.