Dara Hairlosss or Rash?

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:24 am

Having a baby has turned out to be horrible for my pigs. Last I held Dara was about a week ago. I can't believe how fast this must have happened. What is it? When my son first saw it he thought bacterial. Mites? I don't think fungus because there's no flakes. I have the mite medicine here (can't think of the name because my baby is in the other room screaming while I try to post this). I also have Baytril. Can I put cortisone on it to sooth her or is that bad because she will then eat it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:36 am

Get some desitin on it. You probably have some around. May be incontinence.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:38 am

It looks very sore. If it is incontinence, that may be caused by a uti or stones. Mites and fungs are your other guesses.

Okay with you if I add the pics to the post?

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:42 am

Aren't they in my post? I'm confused! They showed up for me. If they aren't showing up then yes, add them.

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:47 am

I have Balmex, no Desitin. The Balmex says "if swallowed contact a poison hotline right away." I guess I won't use that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:52 am

Oh, I meant copy them to the forum so if you move the pics, they'll still display. People have found Desitin works great on urine scald. Becky posted about it.

[note, I copied them to the forum -- let me know if that's okay -- Lynx]
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:37 am

Ouch! Sure looks like urine scald. I've used Toys R Us brand diaper creme and it works well (I didn't read the label but I would imagine that it would have a warning on it as well as the Balmex). I put on only a tiny amount. If little Gracie is taking time away from your pigs, I'll bet swannie would step into the breach for you and "foster" her while Dara heals up. j/k of course!

Becky

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:38 pm

Desinex says the same thing about swallowing. It's zinc oxide. Check your diaper creme. I'ts probably the same thing.

I have to say, though, it doesn't look at all like Cookie's urine scald. Hers never turned red like that and the skin actually sloughed off. It looks more like a fungus (yeast?) to me.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:55 pm

Could scald also lead to a yeast infection? Curious if they might go together. If diaper creme doesn't help, anti-fungal might.

leebee

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:43 pm

It looks like urine scald to me. I always use miconazole cream. It works great on the scald, very soothing and moisturizing.

Becky

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:44 pm

I would think the miconazole cream would cover both possibilities, then.

(added...)

The diaper rash cream would help to dry it out more. If it doesn't appear to be too wet, I'd try the miconzole first.

Becky

Post   » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:48 pm

Here's a link to Cookie's urine scald. Too graphic to post, IMO.

http://imageevent.com/beckyandbill/pigh ... =4&s=0&z=2