GUINEA LYNX

A Medical and Care Guide

Home     Log in

Article on Malocclusion, by Dr. Legendre (with pics)
Goto page 1,   2   Next
Guinea Lynx   =>   Cavy Chat

Print     NEW TOPIC     REPLY       
Older Thread   ::   Newer Thread  

newwave_polly

Romaine Transmogrifiers
Apologies if this link has been posted before, but I'm posting it now because I just ran into this article on the web, and I'm finding it and all the pictures at the bottom really interesting.

Article on Malocclusion

salana

Doom doom DOOM!!! GL is Just Peachy
Awesome! I have a xerox of this article but the pictures are SO much better in color.

Edit-I actually have a more complete article from another journal, but I believe most of the pictures are the same.

pinta

Evil and Dreaded
Cool - figure 14 is Willie and figure 15 is Peony being a good sport and model.

The Chin-Sling pictured is the original prototype.

pinta

Evil and Dreaded
Whoops - I misremembered. Peony was not only a good sport but had diagonal incisors and wore her Chin-Sling as needed to build up the weak side(minor weakness) of her jaw. Once the incisors were straight, she'd have a break.

newwave_polly

Romaine Transmogrifiers
I sort of thought you might know these patients pinta. :)

RavenShade

Meddler Thanks for the Memories
They're famous. Peony looks not too happy to be sporting the headgear.

Thanks for the link, Polly.

Lynx

Heartless Dictator RESIST
Yes, newwave_polly, thanks so much for posting it!

Becky

Sadistic Teacher
Wow, that is very cool! I'm going to point my vet to this article. I'm sure he'll be interested.

PauloF

The Mango Man
That is great. I have already sent the link to my vet dentist and to my vet, and I also saved a copy of the PDF file.

Thanks, Polly

Lynx

Heartless Dictator RESIST
I'm glad you mentioned the pdf file. Makes it even easier to read.

newwave_polly

Romaine Transmogrifiers
Hey, glad to help. It looks like a good resource.
I believe my pig has this same problem, and will be taking him to the vet again in the next few days, along with some information I have printed from this site. What I'd like to know is where in the UK can I get a Chin-Sling? I presume it is available in the UK, as there is a UK patent. If not, does anyone know a supplier who will deliver to the UK?

He is male and almost 3 years old. Breed unknown - white, but with black skin.

etplante

Not-Etienne
You'll need to talk to pinta. I alerted her to this thread but you can also try contacting her through the mailer.
Impressive. I am so glad there are people who care about this stuff.

Fweeprluvr

My wheekness? Pigs!!!
JMStranraer----You may want to start a thread in the medical forum about your pig. There is a wealth of information that can be given by people that have had experiences with this problem and may be able to help you to get proper care for your pig and information you need about the chin sling.

pinta

Evil and Dreaded
You need to order a Chin-Sling from me. Use the mailer and I'll email you the info.

Sunny

Dungeon Master
I printed this out and plan to send it to my vet. However, I'm confused by the introduction. Legendre says, "Of the 1700 rodent species, only 5 (springhaas, Patagonian cavy, capybara, chinchilla, guinea pig) have open-rooted systems that result in continuous growth of all teeth."

Then later in the intro, "Rabbits, which are lagomorphs, possess a 2nd set of maxillary incisors, and all their teeth continue to grow throughout their lives."

Isn't a lagomorph a type of rodent? And if so, would that make it 6 rodent species?
No, langomorph is a seperate animal family consisting exclusively of rabbits due to the presence of their peg-teeth incisor structure.
Hi Guys - my 3 year old guinea Chester recently had all of his teeth trimmed under anesthesia but the results were poor. His teeth have grown out of control again but we can't afford to take him in every 2 weeks for the $800 USD job.

I've constructed a modified Chin Sling from available material - one question - if he already has the slobbers will this work and two how snug should this fit?

Thanks
You'll need to email Pinta through the mailer for information on chinslings and also make a medical thread.
Page 1 of 2

Celsius (C):
Fahrenheit (F):

Guinea Pigs are for Life

Please Support Guinea Lynx in 2017!

TRACIS' LINKS INDEX
"Successful Introductions"

Are you a Guinea Lynx Fan? Tell the world on Facebook!
Contact Us     Home