Little Richard´s "Eye" is gunky

ladyveg

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:43 pm

Little Richard had his eye removed about a month and a half ago and sutures removed a month ago. He´s been able to keep his eye area reasonably clean, even though his balance problem makes it difficult for him to clean himself without falling over. He was having some brownish discharge from the socket area, but that seemed to clear up.

However, now he has some kind of greenish stuff caked on there and I can´t get it off with a wet paper towel unless perhaps I scrubbed the area. He shakes his head so violently when I try to clean it that I wonder if it´s painful. The crusty stuff almost looks like wet, broken-down pellets dried on his eye, it´s kind of dark-greenish and grainy. Think it´s something to worry about? I´m going to hold him and hold a warm wet washcloth to his eye area to see if I can soften up the gunk, but he´s not going to appreciate it.

I can tell he´s going to need baths more often than my other pigs. Poor dude is a very furry Peruvian, and he´s always falling over and getting poops mashed into his hair and feet. I almost wondered if he had a squished poop on his foot and used that foot to clean that eye socket and ended up smearing poop all over it and that´s what´s dried on.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:45 pm

Darn! That pig needs a break. I hope it´s nothing serious, Veg.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:53 pm

Ditto. Softening it up sounds like a good idea. I think the only thing it is a waste of time on is dried pig semen. If it is food or a discharge of some sort, it ought to soften up.

I hope it isn´t anything important.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:08 pm

It would be worth having the vet check it just in case.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1