Bad case of mites

13guineapigs

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:00 pm

I was just wondering what you all thought about this pig’s problem. I have given him a dose of ivermectin. I did not know if I should use advantage on him or not because of the sores. He is getting Meloxicam for the pain. The stuff you see on his scabs is called Trypzyme-v, my vet gave it to me. It is for external wounds. Have any of you used it before? What else can I do for him?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:33 pm

He looks awful. Weigh him daily. If the pain is unbearable, he may not eat. Steriods would also help aleviate some of the pain (I don't know if they can be given concurrently -- but if you're giving Meloxicam, that should help a lot). If you gave the ivermectin orally and you see the pig has lice, you can also use the Advantage.

Let me know if you get any clearer pics (I think the focal point is the floor rather than the pig's back) and would be okay with my uploading them to the site.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:03 pm

No, you can't use steroids at the same time as Meloxicam. At this point, though, I would certainly go with steroids. That poor pig.

13guineapigs

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:18 pm

He is eating normal at this point. I will see how he does with the Meloxicam since I already have it, if there is a problem I will switch to steroids.
He is scratching like crazy so I was wondering if I could wrap his middle section to he won't tear himself apart. Is there something I can put on it to sooth him?

I feel horrible for him. I had gone to the shelter to pick up some pigs and I found him in the back. They were not treating him, I not sure but I don't think they had intensions of treating him either. They seemed shocked that I wanted to take him.
Lynx- I will try tomorrow to get some good pictures. I am too sleepy right now.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:23 pm

Looks like a pig I've got here that is now on the mend. It will probably get worse before it gets better, at least that is what Bo has done here. Definatly make sure he's eating and control his pain as needed. Bo got his third treatment today, I'm crossing my fingers he'll show remarkable improvement in the next week.

Good luck with him, it really sucks to see a pig in such poor condition.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:26 pm

Oh, and I bathed Bo in Nolvasan. It really softened his skin up, took care of the dandruff from the mites, and loosened up the scabs. It really appeared to make him feel better.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:32 pm

I would wrap his midsection and/or his feet to prevent scratching.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:37 pm

13-
You don't understand. Managing his pain is not enough. he needs something to reduce the itching. I would need to look it up, but I'm pretty sure Chary's and Teresa's really bad mites pigs were on a regiment of narcotics for the pain (Torb? Valium?) as well as steroids (Prednisone, I assume). In my opinion, Meloxicam is NOT enough of a nig gun for this type of pain.

Wrapping his midsection or his feet would probably help a lot, too.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 pm

Itchy and Scratchy were on Torb, I think, and dexamethasone for the steroid.

pinta

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:30 am

You need a 24 hour break between switching from an NSAID to a steroid I think. If you don't I believe they can get stomach ulcers.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:39 am

I agree with using a steroid in this case. Itchy and Scratchy were on Torb (narcotic painkiller), Dexamethasone (steroid), antibiotics and oral Ivermectin.

13guineapigs

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:56 am

Oh I misunderstood I thought the steroid was just for pain. I will call the vet to get steroids. What is the best steroid for this? That way I can ask for it by name.
I want to wrap him, should I just use gauze wrap or is there something better?