Snowflake -- probable trichofolliculoma removal

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:52 pm

A few weeks ago I noticed a 1/2" or so lump on Snowflake's rump. It had a dried scab, I checked it out and it did not seem to be an infection or cyst. Was firm, bled but appeared to have no matter inside.

I think it must have bothered her because it would often have a fresh scab on it, as though she was biting at it. I gave up figuring it would ever heal and had it removed today. I'll stick a few pics up and put links to others in case you're interested. As the title notes, it's likely a trichofolliculoma (lump -- tumor just under the skin). I asked for it back and sliced it open. Definitely not a cebaceous cyst nor an abscess.

The newest Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents -- Clinical Medicine and Surgery, says that the most common tumor in gps is the "trichofolliculoma, a benign basal cell epithelioma."

"Trichofolliculomas appear as solid or cystic masses, most commonly over the lumbosacral area. They are easily removed surgically."

Anyway, I chose not to have it biopsied as they are usually benign and I would be unlikely to do chemotherapy. Snowflake is about 6 years old now.

First noticed:
Lump two days ago, still the same size but I think she was biting at it more:
www.guinealynx.info/photos/lump-2.jpg
Side view of stitches:
www.guinealynx.info/photos/lump-3.jpg
Closeup of stitches:
www.guinealynx.info/photos/lump-4.jpg
Top of removed lump:
Bottom of removed lump:
https://www.guinealynx.info/photos/lump-6.jpg
Lump sliced in half and kind of doubled over (both sides of cut visible):
Second view of sliced lump:

I don't know if anyone is interested in these pics but thought I'd post them here.

Snowflake is eating well and seems like herself.
I dabbed some Chew Guard around the incision area in hopes that she will not bite at it. This is Snowflake's second surgery (she was spayed). She was a trooper through it all.
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:02 pm

Glad to hear Snowflake is doing ok. This is most likely what Radar had in several spots (belly, behind the ear). His lumps didn't bother him and didn't grow much so I never had them removed or biopsied. The vet said they're fairly common.

I asked for it back and sliced it open. Definitely not a cebaceous cyst nor an abscess.
Damn, you're a dedicated piggy mom! Or just extremely curious. I'm surprised the vet let you have the lump. I would have thought they'd have to dispose of it specially as "medical waste".

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:13 pm

When you've cut up as many chickens as I have over a lifetime, this was nothing. And it did satisfy my curiousity (I wanted to know what was inside). The lump-7 pic is quite clear. I'm sure there are many less sanitary things that pass through a vet clinic than a small tumor.

Snowflake acts as though nothing happened. I would guess this is a Good Thing.

Were Radar's lumps pretty firm? About a 1/2" in size or so or did they vary?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:23 pm

Where's the picture of the Chew Guard?

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:33 pm

Yes, they were firm. Clean edges (meaning you could feel the whole thing easily). The one behind his ear was probably about 1/2 inch. The one on his belly (the first I noticed) may have been smaller. And I think it may have shrunk a little before he died. Or I may have been imagining that.

I didn't get a copy of the necropsy report on him to know if they made a definite diagnosis of trichofolliculoma post mortem. (For anyone reading my comments without the history, Radar's lumps didn't seem to have anything to do with his death. He had kidney disease.)

mab0615

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:52 am

That looks like a large incision. Glad she's bounced right back.

Were you looking for something specific in the mass? I haven't gotten the results from Rodney's histo yet but I'm wondering if it could be the same thing just that his was bigger. They said a quick exam showed skin cells and hair cells?

Is there a link about these here?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:54 am

Glad it was nothing serious and she's doing well!

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:06 am

Glad everything went well for her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:26 am

Yes, it does look like a long incision. Maybe the ends are not actually cut but just tied to help hold it together while it granulates.

Another recent lump removal:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22129
Mab's pig had a large lump removed. Will be sent out to determine what it is. Vet guesses a benign neoplasm.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:25 pm

Glad to hear she's doing well, Lynx. Our best to her.

We need the Chew Guard picture, definitely.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:03 pm

Where is it? Where is it? Where's that picture?

I am glad that Snowflake is continuing with a life "business as usual." That picture 7 is fascinating. Looks like a bristly little plum or something - the backlit hair is quite odd.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:31 pm

Of course. How remiss of me:

Last edited by Lynx on Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.