Starting a Rescue

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:17 am

Hey everyone. I am just discovering this site and the forums and all tonight. I'd like to post and keep updated but since this is my first ever online discussion there's going to be a learning curve. Please bear with me..

I'm a new cavy owner, in love with my little guys, and I just rescued a very injured little one who is on his way to recovery.

I'd like info on starting a rescue in my area (atlanta, ga) if you could point me in the right direction.. And I know I'll have questions that might sound pretty dorky, as a new mom. I'm trying real hard, though.

I want to send out my heartfelt thanks to all you wonderful people who keep a place like this up and running. I spend all day working at home in my office and my little chattering cavies keep me sane. If anyone has a moment to contact me and just offer some advice about rescuing I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
P

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:25 am

There is a lot of great information on starting your own rescue on one of Teresa's sites: http://www.cavyrescue.com/rescuerresources.htm

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:41 am

Thanks, I just checked it out.
I'd like to start a rescue at my house mainly because of the little guy I just rescued from a petco in horrible condition. The financial part doesn't bother me nor does the time involved to care for them properly. I think the hardest part would be letting them go to good homes. I've already contacted the vets in my area (one in particular knows I'm providing a good home due to what's recently happened and has promised to refer me) but I don't know what else to do. I just can't stand the thought of any little critters not getting the care they need.

pinta

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:45 am

Please make sure Petco gets the bills for his care.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:54 am

Believe me.. They did. I saw what the vet charged them. She was outraged at what they did. This particular store actually has a CONTRACT with her to care for their animals and never bothered notifying her that they had a critically injured animal.

pinta

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:00 am

You have documentation?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:12 am

I have the invoices that the vet gave me listing his treatment and care, and the charges of everything. They have "petco" listed next to all charges (except the neuter, I voluntarily agreed to pay for that) and they told me they would send the bill to the corporate office. They gave me a discount on the neuter, I think they billed extra on the other things. The vet actually called and yelled at Petco while I was standing there.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:39 am

There is a cool new feature on this board -- splitting topics.
Since this was so different from the topic where it was, I figured I would test the splitter.

Anyway, if anyone has an alternate title to suggest (Paravati ?) for this thread, I can change it.

And welcome, Paravati! Hope you find lots of info here. I hope your little guy makes it. That vet sounds like a gem.

Teresa

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:14 am

Very, very cool feature. I like it.

We definitely need more rescues.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:41 pm

Sorry about the topic difference and placement of this string to its original location.. I'm still learning how to navigate :)

pinta

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:00 pm

Sorry, too late for apologies, you will now have to be killed.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:21 pm

Will it be the chipper?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:27 am

Welcome aboard! I'm convinced you will find all the help and advice you could ever want on this site.

And you wonder why people get scared off. All this talk about killing and chippers. Really, you ought to give the newbies a chance to cut their teeth before you start hacking away!

Don't worry Paravati, Pinta rarely leaves her dungeon in Canada so you are safe.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:34 am

I'm not worried. I like Pinta. Someone with spirit who ain't afraid to stand up to all of y'all. Us artistic people gotta stick together. :)

Psst. Go look at my pics!!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:32 am

OK... you got me. What in the hell is a thread splitter? T thinks it is very, very cool, Lynx couldn't wait to use it and I have no idea what it is . There is no hope for me!

Welcome, Paravati! I would consider the chipper a compliment. At least you didn't get Pinta's official "wave!"

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:21 am

It's a feature I can use to cut a thread in half -- or thirds or quarters. You click on the little button and a page shows up so you can select which threads you want to move and you give the new thread a name and put it somewhere.

Very neat. If you set up your own board, you will see it.

Now I need a thread joiner (it would be a hack -- don't know if anyone has written one).

16 posts • Page 1 of 1