More stomach problems?

Gimlipig

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:09 am

I suspect something might be wrong with Muffin. A few days ago her backside was wet and looked a little messy, I just assumed she had been sitting in a dirty cozy for a little bit too long. Tonight I picked her up and several poos were kind of clumped together outside of her anus. I wiped them off and have been keeping an eye on here. I just picked her up and another poo was clumped there in the same place. It looked a bit moist and a bit smaller than normal, but felt solid. I've never noticed a smell coming from their pellets before, but this definately smelled like feces. Not the smell Big had during her enteritis.

Am I just being paranoid?

Gimlipig

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:32 am

OK, I just checked her this morning and she had a very moist one stuck in her half way. When I pressed her bottom it popped right out and I couldn't see any more stuck in her. I have no idea what is going on. Going to call vet later today.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:28 am

She could have a urinary tract infection. If she is eating rich food, she may have extra special pellets which are softer and stinkier. I would look into the UTI first.

Gimlipig

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:02 pm

I have a vet appointment tomorrow at 2:30. It is the earliest I can get her in. I was wondering if I should give her a dose of some of the flagyl or bactrim I have laying around, or would that make it harder on the vet tomorrow?

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:40 pm

We just got back from the vet. Muffin did not have an elevated temperature, she did say she was bloated. There were two lumps on both sides of her lower abdomen. I felt them just this morning, boyfriend said he felt them last night. She said she had no idea what they were, even looked online and in her books. She said if they don't disappear in a few days to bring her back and get her x-rayed.

She gave her a laxitive for cats and dogs. I will post the name later, I'm at school now and don't have it with me. She said if she doesn't improve in a couple of days to bring her back in.

Does anyone have any experiance with two lumps on the identical side of the abdomen? She said they were too low to be near the kidneys.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:43 pm

Laxative sounds bad. Motility drugs can be given if there is no blockage, but I think laxatives would be ill-advised.

Are the lumps near where her legs meet her body? Maybe lymph nodes?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Ick. No, laxatives are usually not a good idea since they,re designed for carnivore digestive systems.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:48 pm

I saw her go once this morning and she went once in the vet's office about half an hour ago. I haven't been home all morning so I don't know if she has gone any more.

Could she still be going even if she is blocked up? Laxatives didn't sound right to me either but I have no idea what else this could be. She said they were gentle, more to lubricate stuff than to stimulate her.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:53 pm

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Ack. That looks bad.

Reglan is one motility drug used in pigs. As is Propulsid, I believe (these are brand names; they are two different drugs).

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:59 pm

Are any of them OTC or are they all only available through a vetrinarian?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:02 pm

They are prescription. OTC, you could give infant simethicone drops, if she is gassy.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:05 pm

Jesus, some vets! Yes, let's shove some fish oil down an herbivore's throat.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:35 pm

Just so you know, Reglan is metoclopromide and Propulsid is cisapride.

Could the lumps be ovarian cysts?

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:27 pm

Just for the sake of curiosity, and because she gave Muffin some while we were at the vet, what can fish oil do to a herbivore's system?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:34 pm

Herbivores are not designed to eat animal proteins, so it will probably upset her digestive system. Think of how she would feel if he fed her a hamburger.

Laxatives are designed for carnivores/omnivores who have 1-2 bowel movements a day. It is not at all suited for herbivores who are supposed to pass poop all day long.

That vet needs to be smacked upside the head. Assuming he has one.

pinta

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:30 pm

Are the lumps on the outside of the body or within the body?

You need a new vet. Pigs don't have the luxury of a few days to see if things resolve. They go downhill fast.

If the lumps were within the body and could be palpated, she should have gotten an xray or better yet, an ultrasound. An xray could have indicated location and whther organs are involved. An ultrasound is even more informative.

If the lumps are on the outside of her body, they are probably lymph glands. Swollen lymph glands(nodes?) can signify anything from infection to cancer. A blood panel is recommended to get an idea how the organs are functioning.

It's generally a good idea to go for a course of broad spectrum ABs(baytril) in case the swollen lymph glands are due to an infection (in order to cover your bases).

If the vet suspects Bloat, Reglan is the med to give.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the poop for signs of parasites and the pee for signs of infection(before putting her on ABs). Incontinence often accompanies UTIs.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:01 pm

Are the lumps on the outside of the body or within the body?

She said she couldn't tell if they were in the abdomen or not. You can feel them without even pressing in, however. You just have to run your fingertips over her sides. They are very pronounced. This isn't something she had two days ago either. It just came up.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 pm

If the fish oil was high in vitamin E or some fat soluble vitamin, it could cause problems.

Gimlipig

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:24 pm

OK, we did a more through feel of her to try to describe these bumps. They are rather odd, they are kind of tubular and run from about where the leg meets the underside of her belly under her leg, upwards.

This really does want to make me say it is lymph nodes, plus the fact they came on so fast, two days ago they weren't there. I've included a picture of Muffin showing where these are. They are on both sides.

100 posts