neosporin for mouth sores?

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:24 pm

I'm sorry to be such a pest this week, but hopefully I can make this quick.

The skittish 3 month-old boar I just got in foster has a purplish sore on the side of his mouth (not on his lip but just below it in the corner). I read all the posts on mouth sores already and will take him to the vet if there is no improvement in 2 days. I just have 3 questions for now:

Is it o.k. to put a little neosporin it?
Should I separate him from his littermate in case it is a virus?
Should I stop giving him oranges (I don't give apples)?

He has already been started on an Ivermectin regimen, 4 days ago.

I appreciate any replies. He is a real tiny guy ( a runt ) and just starting to warm up to me. It may be just a sore from cage-chewing.

Thanks!

Nicole

pinta

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:34 pm

No neosporin. If he ingests it it will throw his gut flora out of whack.

Don't give him any acidic foods that could irritate it.

If the cause isn't fungal or parasitic, it should clear up by itself if irritating food is withheld.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:34 pm

I don't remember people's suggestions (man, I feel old) but I think Josephine and other people mentioned treatment of mouth sores. I would recommend a search to see what you turn up.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:05 pm

Hmmm... I've used BNP (Neosporin) on nasty staph infections (chronic chelitis). In fact, I have a sow on it now. I monitor her well, and it is the only thing that has worked well. Baytril may be used topically as well. I use the injectable, but I'm not sure if the otic would work as well... Silver sulfadiazine ointment is said to be safe. Reptile and other exotics people use it on mouth bacterial/fungal infections. I've not had the chance to use it, though. Safe if injested.

I'm not sure I would leave it untreated. Mouth infections are nasty to deal with. I have a sow that has been battling one for almost a year and a half now. I wish that I had not been hesitant in using the BNP at first.

pinta

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:44 pm

There was a pig that got very ill after ingesting Neosporin way back on CG. (Padme?) Killed off the good bacteria. Details are foggy but I think their vet said never to use it where it could be ingested.

(I was figuring Nicole would be seeing a vet if it got worse since she said she would).

Do you know anything about Gentian Violet? Supposedly works for mouth sores but I remember seeing a page from the net that had it a little less benign then I was led to believe.

E used something that worked very well on mouth sores. Hopefully she'll check in.

I had a pig with mouth sores that kept going on for what seemed like forever(a long time ago). Theyu'd heal only to come back days later. After countless vet visits and trying different things we eventually gave up on ever getting rid of them and just let them be. As time passed, they disappeared without treatment and never came back.

bats

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:00 am

There are a lot of google matches for Gentian Violet and Toxic, Pinta. Kills good flora, causes cancer in rats, may trigger asthma, ... I'm having a tough time trying to figure out from these links whether the issue is confined to concentrated exposures. It certainly has a good side as an anti-baterial and anti-fungal. I'm way out of my depth here in medical advice. Sorry.

pinta

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:10 am

Gurney advocates it and to be fair, I have heard of success stories of it working on mouth sores....but maybe it's healthier for the pig to have the mouth sore rather than the treatment.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:26 am

Thank you for all of your replies. I will not use neosporin, and withold the oranges. I'm assuming that bell pepper is still o.k., but if not someone please notify me, as I like to give it because it's high in C.

It was on a previous thread that I read about the gentian violet, the neosporin, and tea tree oil. I think I'll stay away from all three and go to the vet if medication is needed.

Pinta, you're right--I will certainly not leave it untreated. But in case it's due to fighting or cage biting, I'm going to wait 48 hours to drag the poor thing down to the vet. He is very terrified and just today gave a little sigh on my lap.

I will watch him closely and thank you all for the advice.

Nicole

lisam

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:46 am

You never forget a pig, Pinta. Yes, it was Padme. We were using neosporin on the wounds she gave herself when she had a bad case of mites. She kept licking it off, then stopped eating and I had to hand feed her.

I had a sow with mouth sores, Ruby. She had them twice (although not that bad, just one little scab). I did not treat her and she recovered and hasn't had any since. I did read that bad cases sometimes do better on a bout of antibiotics.

Joesphine, is that colloidal silver you are talking about?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:25 pm

Nope. Silvadene cream. I believe they are two separate things. I don't know if collidal silver is O.K. or not for cavies to injest on a regular basis.

Baytril is safe. Certainly wouldn't hurt to use it topically.

Never heard anything good about Genetian violet by reputable sources.

As far as the BNP, I don't know about amounts to cause adverse reactions. I certainly DON'T recommend it for general use in cavies (except eye ointments). I tried Baytril on my sow, Smz-Tmp, etc. The BNP is what worked. I wish just leaving it alone would make it go away. Her mouth gets so sore and ulcerated she won't eat well and there is almost no normal tissue. On the BNP, her lips heal to the point where it is hardly noticable and she eats fine. I've never fed copious quantities (or any much at all) of "acidic" foods. Rosenthal and Brown's book on exotics claim prognosis is poor. I have at least given her some quality of life with the BNP.

Perhaps we are talking about two different infections. All I know is that left alone to proliferate, lip infections (chelitis) are difficult to nearly impossible to cure in many species. Whatever sore allows the Staph. or other causative agent in should be protected as much as possible to prevent it.

lisam

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:28 pm

I wonder if it is possible that there are two different kinds of mouth sores? I was looking at a thread about them on CG, there were pictures that someone posted of nose sores that did not look at all like the ones Ruby had. Ruby's was just one little scab, just under her nose, kind of in that little slit (whatever it's called). The pictures on CG looked like actual wounds.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:52 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... t=chelitis

There's a pic I posted on this thread from a book, if you can get it to load. It's chronic chelitis, only my sow's mouth got much worse than that left alone or on systemic (oral) antibiotics alone. It seemed that the oral antibiotics didn't get to the affected area.