Rescue finally taking off..

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:30 pm

Thanks to everyone here who has given me rescue advice.

I managed to get in contact with a very kind lady who rescues for the House Rabbit Society in Atlanta. She's given me lots of tips and put me in contact with a local humane society who has two pigs, and another in AL with two more. I'm picking up the ones nearby on Saturday morning and the ones in AL will be convoyed up here along with some rabbits for HRS. She's letting us use her rescue license so we don't pay adoption fees, and giving us some extra cages for quarantining.

I'm continually amazed at the great people I've run into since I joined this forum and had thoughts of beginning a rescue. We will foster these pigs out if we can (unless we fall in love with them first) and they'll be posted on our website along with the others.

It seems I'll be needing a few more supplies with the addition of four pigs all at once. Are there wholesale vendors for things like shavings, cubes, hay, etc?

We're going to convert a second room over to the quarantine area. What are the rules when you put two pigs in quarantine, and then get more a week or so later? Do you need separate quarantine areas, or can you put them all in one area and then add them into your regular population when they all are checked out and you know they're not a danger?

I have so many questions.. But I really want to do this.

Thanks,
Leslie

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:09 pm

Uh oh - The rescue in AL says that one of the pigs (already an adult) seems to be pregnant. Can anyone tell me the risks of transporting a pregnant adult (1-3 years) sow for about three hours in a car? I know there's pregnancy issues with adult sows and I'm afraid to have her transported if this is the case. The shelter knows almost nothing about cavies and they have no idea how old she is, or how far along she is. Can anyone help??

piggielover

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:24 pm

Hi Paravati,
I don't know the correct answer to your question but this summer we traveled to Duluth Minnesota with Camee when she was preg. She was due when went there. We couldn't leave her alone and we didn't have anyone that would watch her and Tedee for a week. She delivered the babies at my parents in Duluth the day before we had to come home. Oh by the way, it is an 8 hour drive from here to Duluth and they did great. They were in our large cat carrier with lots of soft towels and lots of fresh, wet veggies and fresh cold water and pellets. Our van is airconditioned as it was 100 degrees the day we drove there and all went well, they were comfortable and seemed to be relaxed and on the way home she nursed the babies and kept them warm and they all did great. I don't know if there are certain risks to the piggie while she's preg.and traveling, but I would think she would be fine if she is in a suitable climate and has water and soft towels and food. Hope this helps a little. Good luck! What you are doing is great! I hope to one day have a rescue too as there are none in the state I live in.
Piggielover
Last edited by piggielover on Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:24 pm

I have zero experience with sows and rescuing, so I'm a big, fat load of no help at all.

Just wanted to send you hearty "Good luck!"

lisam

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:27 pm

Have you checked out feed stores for the hay and bedding?

leebee

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:32 pm

I think she'd probably be better off with you, despite the three hour drive, since they know nothing about guinea pigs.

Can they feel babies moving? This would give them some idea of how far along she is.

If you do get her, you probably should be prepared with an emergency vet, due to her age and the fact that she hasn't gotten the best prenatal care.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:32 pm

I have petitioned the shelter to have her checked to make sure she IS pregnant and if so, how far along she is, and also for a best age guesstimate. She's over 2 lbs in size so she's probably pretty old, and I won't risk her health transporting her if she's due soon.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:34 pm

I told them how to check, and the girl I spoke with can't feel any babies yet. She said she is definitely pear-shaped though. I'm still trying to get them to let a vet look at her before I arrange for transport. They're going to call me tomorrow.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:35 pm

Sometimes there is no choice but to move pregnant sows.

We have transported VERY pregnant sows for two hours in cases when they would have been at risk to stay where they were, e.g. the Hollister sows immediately after seizure. I have transported sows who were in earlier stages of pregnancy for over 12 hours, rather than see them euthanised.

It all depends whether your shelter is prepared to keep the sow through delivery and if they are knowledgable enough to deal with her. Is there an alternative to moving her?

Regarding wholesale prices on bedding supplies etc: I would ask the advice of your HRS contact. We have a great relationship with our House Rabbit people and they have helped us purchase all kinds of items at wholesale or below. Other things like pellets, we have to pay full retail price for.

Good luck to you with your rescue. Remember to take it slow at first and avoid getting in over your head. When you have a kind heart and a generous nature it's all too easy to become overwhelmed, before you even realize what's happening.

leebee

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:36 pm

If they can't feel the babies moving, she's probably OK for transport.

She may just be pearshaped from earlier litters - we had a few sows fool us from Hollister. It could also be ovarian cysts.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:37 pm

Yeah, it sort of seems that way. It started off today with two piggies nearby, and then the shelter in AL called with two more.. and oh by the way, one of them is pregnant... Heh. I don't mind seeing her through delivery, but I am completely inexperienced with this. I feel that if she's close to delivery I either need to go get her NOW or wait until after she delivers and have her transported then. My vet is less than a mile away so if she delivers here, I'm not as worried. I just don't want her delivering in some teenaged volunteer driver's car.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:39 pm

Yeah, I remember that as well. I've called my vet to warn her I'm going to be bringing some critters by soon for checkups. The shelter is going to call me tomorrow with an update on if they can have her seen by a vet or not. Depending on when the HRS lady has her rabbits scheduled for transport, I guess I'll make the decision then.
I'm going to have to build some quarantine cages. :)

pigpal

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:41 pm

Paravati, I'm moving this thread to Cavy Chat, as it's about cavies rather than an unrelated topic.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:58 pm

Thanks.. Sorry for putting in the wrong spot..
Is moving threads a special access priveledge thing?

pigpal

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:00 pm

Only a true control freak can do it.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:05 pm

Okay.. Thanks for your patience with my inexperience but this is my first time getting piggies from rescue situations, and they're happening simultaneously. I am trying to make sure I have everything I need taken care of: I'm building quarantine cages, I'm going to have everyone checked by a vet when they arrive, the pregnant sow in AL is going to be checked by a vet there (the rabbit lady is assisting with this) and once transported here, the two AL pigs will be put in quarantine also. Do they need separate quarantine areas or can all quarantine pigs go in the same area together if they arrive around the same time?

If I decide to foster the pigs out or try to place them, can I work with adoption agencies and go sit out in front of Petsmart like everyone else, should I place ads in the paper.. How do people foster or adopt out? I want to personally screen all the new familes and make sure they have a good setup and a vet in line before they adopt.. Is this too strict, or is that standard? Should I charge a fee?
Forgive all the questions... I just want to do this right.. and save the little piggies. :)

EarthMama

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:14 pm

Oh Lord- you're from Atlanta and you might be bringing babies to the big City?

I was just saying the other day that I wouldn't mind having a pig baby.

I'm from Roswell!! (waving from outside the perimeter).

I am more than happy to assist in any way I can, whether it means transporting, fostering, vet visits, etc.

Do you have a good vet? I know an EXCELLENT one, and she's really into helping out rescue. She's one of the few board certified small animal vets in the state.

Have you contacted Stone Mountain Guinea Pig Rescue?It is run by Patty Ward, she has a website. I'm happy to dig it up for you, though she can't always keep it updated (five homeschooled kids and a pig rescue). She is super nice, I got my Harper Lee from her.

I am sure she will be delighted to show you the ropes, and more than happy to share the burden with someone.

feel free to email me for vet info, rescue help, etc.

ettamae74@aol.com

EarthMama

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:19 pm

PS- A great resource for hay is a feed store- the guys at my store let me scoop up all the bale "droppings" as much as I can carry. Not always the freshest, but it's free, and sometimes I get lucky.

And of course you can always buy a whole bale.

They also sell 50 pounds of MAZURI pig food, for ridiculously cheap.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:36 pm

I can't remember if anyone has provided this link yet, it has lots of useful resources like adoption application forms, contracts etc.

http://www.cavyrescue.com/rescuerresources.htm

Kims Critters

Post   » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:16 pm

Paravati
Good luck and congrats! Always good to hear another rescue opening up. If you need any help, please feel free to ask. I know I am new to the board, but I have been doing rescues for many years.

33 posts