Skinny Pig Data and T-4 count

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:27 am

I think it would be a good idea to get the skinny pig data all in one place. Sex, age, colouring, health issues.

Even if your skinny has died - please post age at death and presumed cause of death or what lead to death.

Bliss 2.5 years, female himi colouring, tons of moles.
Assumed hyperthryroid
T-4 AFTER being on tapazole - 16(Can. T-4)
Assumed heart issues - on Fortekor
Has had 3 moles removed. One was tested at lab - basal carcinoma.

Heart 2.75 years, female lilac colouring.
T-4 - 28 (Can. T-4)
has had 2 moles removed. One was sent to lab - pre melanoma.
Slight chronic incontinence.

Gretchen 2.25 years, female TSW colouring.
T-4 - 24 (Can. T-4)

All three get low level light laser treatments to boost the immune system every three weeks.

I am particularly interested in T-4 counts of both Skinnies and regular pigs. There are no norms established so the more T-4 counts recorded, the closer we'll get to finding out what is normal.

I am wondering if the extremely fast metabolism rate of skinnies might actually be inherent hyperthyroidism. To find out we need to know what the normal T-4 count would be.

So if anyone has the opportunity to get a T-4 count done on any pig - please post results here.

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:43 am

Shiraz - chocolate satin sow
T-4 - 30 (Can. ) at 1 year - 30 (Can. ) AFTER she went on Tapazole - 23. AFTER taking her off Tapazole - 30. Died from complications of Paget's Disease at 18 months

Bloom - red and white abby sow
T-4 - 44 (Can. ) AFTER tapazole - 19. Lived to about 5 years. Died of a cyst on the liver

Beachez - brown and white american sow
T-4 - 15 (Can. ) Lived to 7 1/5 years

Fanny - TSW american sow
T-4 - 23 (Can. ) at 1 year 5 months. Died at 5 1/4 years of complications from assumed hyperthyroidism. Classic indications of the disease relieved by Tapazole. We didn't get a second thyroid count.

Allysse

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Herbie - TSW Skinny
Born 4/29/05, Died late June '05
Death believed to be heart related
Sorry, no T4 count

Moby - black/white american boar
Born 6/01/2001, he is 4 years 9 months old
T4 counts as follows:
5/05: 3.29 (US)
8/05: 3.1 (after 1/4 5 mg tapozole tablet daily)
12/05: 6.? (dosage doubled after this test)
1/06: 5.3 (after test dosage increased to .75 daily, .25 in morning, .5 in evening)

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:06 am

With cats, hyperthyroidism often results in heart issues. I'm wondering if the heart issues that seem so common in skinny pigs are actually a symptom of hyperthyroidism.

Is Moby on any heart meds?

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:43 am

Moby is a skinny?!?

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Oh good point - no mention of him being a skinny. I'll just have to read more carefully.

However, hyperthyroidism can result in heart issues in cats and our regular american sow with hyperthyroidism was on heart meds before she was on hyperthyroid meds. So the question is still valid: Is Moby on heart meds?

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:48 pm

We'll have to see if we can get her back, Allysse is hiding! But she hasn't mentioned that he has a bad heart when we've talked about him.

Allysse

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:15 pm

No, Moby isn't on any heart meds, but I'm tempted to try new things because his weight and T4 levels have never been very satisfactory with just the tapazole treatment.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Hyperthyroid animals are revved up - everything is working too fast, including the heart which is why heart becomes an issue with hyperthyroid animals.

She might not know he has a bad heart and without Tapazole, he might have already died of a heart attack. Conjecture, I know but it is logical.

Allysse

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 pm

It makes sense. I'm curious to see if Moby would improve on heart meds. I think I'll call the vet tomorrow.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Try to get him on Fortekor.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Is that Benazepril?