beano pills?

Jill

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:45 pm

My foster pig is sick, and I'm not exactly sure what is going on. We just got home from Christmas and she won't eat. Is puffed up, sounds congested and just wants to stay in her house. Her stomach seems really big. It hasn't been long enough to know if she is pooping and peeing.

I've read where 3 drops of beano 2x day is good. Does anyone know about the Beano pills? That's all I can get my hands on right now.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:32 pm

I think simethicone works better. If you know how to spell it right (not sure if I did), you might be able to find some info on it. You might try gentle heat and massage. I'm sorry you have an ill pig.

Why do these things happen on Christmas?

----------------------

Pinta posted recently:

For the Simethicone dose this is from Judi Lainer:
I use .15cc, give or take a bit (its 1/2 the low end infant dose), and I use it 2x per day.

Jill

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:43 pm

Thanks Lynx. I can get some gaviscon, which has simethicone, but it has a bunch of other stuff too so I hesitate to use it.

pinta

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:06 pm

If the stomach is bloated you really need Reglan. Beano is good for daily maintenance to help digestion(not sure how it works but it does something to help with gassy foods). The Simethicone works in the intestinal tract as I understand it.

Reglan stimulates the gut to get food moving thru. I believe you can use all three concurrently.

If she's gulping air and is congested, there's a possibility of a heart problem. An xray will show fluid in the lungs for which Lasix is usually prescribed if there are other heart problem indicators like an enlarged liver.

Jill

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:14 pm

Thanks, Pinta.

No gulping for air, she doesn't seem to have runny eyes or nose either. No poops or anything since we have been home, about two hours.

I did find some Gas-x gelcaps and dipped my syringe tip in it to give her a couple of times. I don't have a needle, so couldn't get enough in the syringe to measure. I tried "thumping" her stomach, but didn't hear the hollow sound suggested on Guinealynx if bloat is present.

I did call the vet, but she said they wouldn't do x-rays after hours like this, and about all they would do is put her in an incubator. She thought she'd be better at home with someone to watch her. Thing is, I can watch herconstantly, but there isn't much I can do for her.

I've been syringing water and tried a bit of mushed pellets and a poop. But without any output, I hate to put anything more in. The good thing is that she has enough energy to protest the syringe.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:36 pm

Wow, you got hold of a vet today? The reglan would be great if you could get it.

pinta

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:39 pm

Damn, The least the vet could have done was given you a prescription for Reglan.

One of ours is on Reglan daily due to motility problems. Big stomach and her weight shot up by 6 oz. over 2 or 3 days. She's also on beano drops to deal with potential gas. But the only signs of something wrong is her weight shooting up and slightly decreased activity(uncomfortable for her to move around as much as she'd like to).

You don't see them gulping for air - just the evidence of air in the tummy in an xray.

If she suddenly has difficulty holding her head up or walking then you will need an emergency vet for Lasix (if an xray indicates it's needed) and oxygen.

Try gently massaging her tummy.

Jill

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:29 pm

She went to the vet this morning. Her weight was up just under 2 oz. last night, and back down this morning. She did poop overnight and wasn't shy about it. She ate some and was more active this morning too.

The x-ray indicated lots of gas - and her stomach was even smaller this morning. I think the vet said "right up to her colon" - does that make sense? She suspects bacterial enteritis and has put her on bactrim. Lungs are clear and heart looked good. She is eating again.

They want to keep her overnight. The other two girls seem just fine.

Thanks for your help, Lynx and Pinta.

pinta

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:51 pm

Why do they want to keep her overnight? Is there someone there 24 hours a day? Our vet never wants to keep our pigs overnight simply because there isn't staff there all the time and we would give more attention.

Reglan is still a good idea. So is a poop from a healthy pig.

Jill

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:23 pm

She is back home and seems to be doing great. I saw the x-ray and her stomach looked like a big balloon. They said she ate a lot and was active while she was there. Came home with bactrim, but they also said to use mylanta. I think I'll skip the Mylanta and give her simethicone instead. I still have some Beneback left over from Piggie's abscesses.

I did a search for aluminum hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide, and saw where Josephine hadn't heard of the aluminum hydroxide used for cavies.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:42 pm

What I'd like to know about is the product recommended by another site for diarrhea, Diocalm:

In one Diocalm product, Diocalm Ultra, the active ingredient is loperamide hydrochloride EP 2.0 mg. And the inert ingredients are lactose, maize starch, microcystalline cellulose (avicel PH 101) , pregelatinised starch, croscarmellose, sodium, dimeticone.

Also recommended to relieve pain is Buscopan
http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/b/buscopan/buscopan_tablets.htm
Buscopan tablets
Buscopan brings effective relief from the pain and discomfort of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), stomach cramps and painful periods (dysmenorrhoea). Buscopan works by relaxing painful muscle spasm.

The active ingredient is hyosine-N-butylbromide 10mg. Inactive ingredients are soluble starch, maize starch and sucrose.

If anyone knows if these are safe for cavies, I'd appreciate it. They may be UK products only (not sure).

11 posts • Page 1 of 1