Gilbert -- Severe bladder bleeding

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:58 am

Since Gilbert's bladder issues were lumped into Sully's bladder stone thread, I'm starting this one on Gilbert exclusively.

Gilbert is currently about three weeks post-op for his second bladder stone removal operation. In the past couple of days, we've seen evidence that someone was making sludge and/or slight bloody pee.

Tonight, Gilbert is peeing /blood/. It's blood with a little urine in it, maybe. We're watching, but there are at least four dime-sized spots from earlier, and he's made two or three quarter-sized spots since we got home a half hour ago.

I called the vet on call, but it wasn't our usual (exotics) vet. The on-call vet advised just starting Gilbert on antibiotics tomorrow morning.

Gilbert isn't giving signs of discomfort in any way. The only evidence of discomfort since he healed up from surgery was a single instance of a pain vocalization (like a distressed wheek/grunt) when he was pooing a couple of days ago. This was identical to the pain vocalization he gave when he was recovering from surgery and before his pain meds kicked in.

My main concern here is blood loss. It's very hard to track how much he's losing, but I'm concerned that I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning to him having gone from comfortable and active to severely ill, or worse.

The most recent pee spot had less blood in it, so maybe he just had sludge that irritated his still-healing bladder.

What is the panic point for blood-in-pee? Is there anything we can do? Of course, it's Friday night, the nearest emergency vet hospital is a 2 hour drive away, and Diana works tomorrow.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:06 am

I have no idea what the answer is to your question, but I sure hope Gilbert's going to be ok.

whittibo

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:10 am

Oh man. My heart just dropped when I saw this thread.

I have no answer for you, I wish I did. But good thoughts and prayers will certainly be sent for him and you two.

Could you try to flush his system out with some pedialyte? If it's sludge that is irritating the bladder, I think flushing might bring some relief?? I am just grasping at straws. I am so sorry Gilbert is having so many problems as of lately.

I hope he'll be ok.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:32 am

Cuddles had that. She had sludge that was irritating her bladder wall, so her body grew blood vessels all over it. Then if the piece of sludge would tear free, she'd have all this pee that looked like red wine.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:47 am

Red wine describes it pretty well.

He went into a pigloo and looked like he was going to sleep, when the other guys were running around, so I was worried about anemia.

I called the KSU vet hospital, and they called a doc on duty to talk with me. On her advice, we're going to watch him for a bit, try to get a better look at how much he's peeing, and re-evaluate in a couple of hours.

If he's fine until 8AM, then we can go to our vet in town. If he needs to be seen sooner, we can make the trip to KSU. It's a couple of hours by car.

Jim

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:05 am

Gilbert is seperated and on white towels now. The blood he's peeing now has some clots in it, so I'm going to just blindly assume that that is a good sign, because it means that his body is trying to stop the bleeding.

I'm off to get Pedialyte.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:41 am

There is a line from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer: "Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night."

We don't have a prayer exactly like that in the Roman Catholic Church, but I find the above very comforting. I work at night and I have worked, watched and wept many nights. I have an idea what you're going through.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:52 am

He's drinking. He's eating. And, although it is hard to tell, it looks like maybe he has a higher pee:blood ratio (more pee less blood) to go along with the clots.

We have contact with the vet hospital at KSU two hours away, with a vet hospital in Topeka, and it's only five hours until our own vet office opens up (and maybe our exotics-qualified vet will be around...).

I don't pray much, at least not for myself, but I've prayed for our little guys before, and I'm praying now.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:09 am

Yeah, one of the local TV news dudes was in front of my church after the Easter vigil this year. Since I was one of the sinners who tried to sneak out early I was one of his victims. He asked me what I prayed for. I said something uninspiring like "I prayed for some personal things." Had I would have been honest I would have said "I prayed for my pig (s). I prayed for more money. I prayed for my sex life to improve."

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:40 am

When Sophie had bladder stone surgery quite a while later she passed blood clots and tissue. It was very very frightening but she acted normal and the vet said it was normal to pass a blood clot after surgery. He did say it was odd that it happened so far after the surgery but she was fine nonetheless. I hope that's the case with Gilbert.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:32 am

Lots of blood in the cage this morning, but he's still behaving OK. Looks maybe a *little* uncomfortable.

Called our vet's office, they're recommending I take him to K-State's vet hospital. So, after I get them fed, I'm off to KSU.

I definitely would appreciate good wishes and prayers directed Gilbert's way.

whittibo

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:41 am

I was so hoping for better news this morning. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers that Gilbert will be just fine. Have a safe trip!!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:47 am

We'll be thinking about you and Gilbert today and wishing you all well. Please let us know how he's doing when you return.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:20 am

And the nanny boars were parked on the other side of the sick-pig grids just watching over him when I went downstairs this morning. *sigh*

This would have to be the one weekend a month I supervise at work.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:36 am

Good luck to you. My thoughts are with you guys today, give him a kiss for us.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:16 am

Good luck at the vet. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gilbert.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:25 am

Poor boy - I hope he's ok.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:28 am

I'm sending healing vibes to Gilbert as well. It's always discomforting when the others know something is wrong.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:21 pm

I can only say that I think blood looks scarier than it is, quantity wise. I hope your experience is similar to GP Lover's and things clear up.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:24 pm

I have a video of the inside of Cuddles's bladder, and now that there's YouTube, I can actually put it up on the internet later today. Dr. Stuart had wanted to scrape out the inside of her bladder to get rid of all the blood-vessel-attached sludge. It was always very scary when she would start peeing puddles of blood.

838 posts