How much should I pay the sitter?

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Okay you guys I need your expert advice. I will be going on vacation soon (I now have no fingernails left). I will be gone 8 days, but actually home at noon on the 8th day. I have:

My dog - Cooper - he gets fed in the morning and at night. They might take him for a walk.

My two piggies- Guinea and Oreo. You all know what that involves.
I want the sitter to also spot clean the cage daily and completely change the bedding midweek.

My two rats - Dusty and Lucky. Pretty much like feeding the piggies. Sitter does not have to spot clean (ratties don't poop as much as some others we know LOL), but he does need to completely clean the cage midweek.

My bird - Scooty - lineolated parakeet. In addition to her daily feedings I would also have the sitter change the paper towels at the bottom of her cage daily.

My 8 fish tanks - yes, there are 8. Actually, this is the easiest task. Just has to turn lights on in the morning and off at night.
The fish get fed every other day while I am gone. The fish food has already been premeasured and placed in pill boxes - sitter just has to dump appropriate day in.

2 betta bowls - just feed every other day.

The sitter will also be turning on fans and A/C during the day and off at night. Bringing in newspaper and mail.

Whew - I can't believe I am so out of control. How much do you think I should pay my sitter daily or overall? He is my neighbor's son (and my neighbor) who is 14. My neighbors know how much my pets mean to me so the animals are in good hands.

Thanks for suggestions.

Nancy

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:36 pm

P.S. I don't mind paying well. I will pay a lot just to have my animals well cared for.

Nancy

mooser

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Maybe $25 per day? How much time do you think it would take to do all of that? It's easy for him since he lives next door, so maybe a little less.

I'm getting paid $30/day to watch one dog for someone. I have to stay overnight at her house, though.

I'm really bad at this sort of thing, but hopefully that helps.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:54 pm

I recently paid $40/day for someone to stay in my house, and they didn't even have to do a thing with the guinea pigs (I had a couple of wonderful GL members come in and take care of them, twice a day).

But this area is probably pretty expensive in comparison with some others.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:00 pm

Last time we were gone it was four days. I paid my neighbor $15 a day then - he was shocked at that, but I 've added my bird since then and probably another fishtank. Drew (my neighbor) will not be staying at the house - just coming over in the morning and evening.

Now after hearing from you guys I know I need to pay him more than $15 (I told you I have no clue)daily. If I pay $25 daily that's $200 for the week. Should I pay more? I'm so bad at this. Like I said I definitely don't want to underpay, but I just don't know what the right amount is. Should I pay $35 per day - that's in between what you guys mentioned?

Nancy

mooser

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:08 pm

I think that would be fair. Our (professional) petsitter charged $15/visit for our 3 dogs, cat, 7 pigs, 4 hamsters.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:10 pm

Which would be fair? $35? 30? 25?/day?

Thank you
Nancy

Can you believe I have this zoo over here?

sef1268

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:22 pm

I charged $5 a day to pig-sit two pigs, with spot cleaning daily and full cleaning mid-week, plus the other stuff involved with piggies (including nail trim). If it were me, I'd want an extra $5 for the ratties, $5 for the bird, and $10 for the dog (I assume the sitter will need to take the dog out a couple of times a day for pee and poo?), plus maybe a couple of bucks for the fish. So, $30-35 seems fair to me.

Are you leaving fresh veggies in baggies for the piggers, or how will that work?

mooser

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:25 pm

Sorry, I was saying $35 is fair.

Sandy, can you go over to Hamsterific and add to what I posted? There's a person with a sick pig and it doesn't seem like the vet they took it to knew much about pigs. Try to get her to post here, I mentioned it.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:29 pm

Yes, I am leaving the wheatgrass in baggies (and red bell pepper too). The dog stays in the house and has his own dog door so he can go in and out as he pleases.

So $35/day then? That would be $270 for the week. Is that right?

Thanks you guys for all of the input.

Nancy

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Walk through what needs to be done. Figure on $20/hr.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:03 pm

Now there's a thought Lynx. When I do everything it takes me 45 minutes in the morning. At night, there's not much to do except feed the dog.

Nancy

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:21 pm

If there are two visits, add $5.

See what he thinks about $20 to $25/day.

You also have a long list. I hope he's reliable.

Gessika

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:29 pm

I think $25 a day sounds generous.

That should seem like a LOT of money to a 14 year old.

I get $20 a day to housesit and take care of a 13 year old blind mini weiner dog.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:29 pm

He's reliable - plus his mom (my friend) will be making sure all is well. They took care of the pets for 4 days back in April and a few other times as well. We in turn take care of their pets. All went well when he has taken care of the pets in the past (his mom checks up on him LOL). My daughter who is 12 takes care of their pets, but I go over there with her and do what she might miss.

Nancy

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:52 pm

I think $25.00 a day sounds fair and maybe bring him a little something from your trip (tshirt etc). I am sure he will be thrilled.

I agree with Lynx, show him how it is all done, maybe he could come over when you are actually doing feeding and/or cleaning time. Good luck.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks you guys. He's coming over the night before we leave so I can show him how to clean the cages. As far as everything else goes he's done it before so he knows most of the ropes.

So I decided to give him $30 a day now. That will be $240 and I'll just round it up to $250. It will seem like a million dollars to a 14 year old kid, but he's very reliable. I just emailed his mom (my friend) to tell her what I'm paying him.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm always worried I'll either not pay enough or too much. And since I want him to take care of my pets in the future I'd better pay him well.

Nancy

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Nancy you are a wonderful Pig, fish and dog Mommy.

sef1268

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 pm

I hope you have a wonderful trip -- with no worries! You deserve it.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks you guys - you're very sweet and extremely helpful. We don't leave for a couple of weeks yet, but I have to get all the details ironed out you know. I'm such a stress basket for weeks before vacation. Once I'm out of the house I'm fine, but for weeks until vacation all I do is worry. Sometimes I think I'm nuts.

Nancy

38 posts