Lynx, need a new section in the index

Teresa

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:29 pm

Arthritis.

It's becoming an on-going issue with my aging pigs. I'd really like a section referenced in the index with a page devoted to the different kinds of treatments or suggestions for improving quality of life on aging pigs.

Anyway, it would be nice and very helpful to me and I'm sure others.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:55 pm

I have a list of things that should be added. I don't know much about arthritis though. Except if you take an xray, supposedly you will see deposits at the bones and that an animal physiotherapist can supposedly break up the deposits using a laser. I vaguely remember some drug that can help but not much more.

Anybody what to put together a page?

cavyhaven13

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 am

I could add to the Arthritis a little. I found a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement that is liquid and fruity flavored that does wonders for my old-timers. Best part is that it's available at Wal-Mart. I had to find some way to make them feel better without interfering with their heart meds.

Pitter Patter

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:44 am

How much Glucosamine do your arthritis pigs get? I always wondered if pigs could take that stuff, but wasn't sure about dosages.

rpaws

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:23 am

cavyhaven13,
I currently have a foster guinea pig that suffered a break in the past somewhere in her pelvis area. The vet said that taking an x-ray would only show where the break was, it wouldn't help. The vet also said she would likely get arthritis later in life in that area.

Currently she is estimated to be about 1 1/2 years old. Even though she clearly has a weakness in her hind quarters, she can scurry around when she wants to do so. Would it help to be proactive and start her on the supplement? If so, I would like to do so.

Could you post the name of the supplement, generic if possible, along with the dosage level? I personally like to shop at other stores than go to Wal-mart (unless I have to) and will check and see if it is available at CVS, Walgreens, Brooks, www.drugstore.com, etc.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:18 am

I've been told that my Nutmeg, who broke a hip rather badly, would eventually end up with arthritis. I asked about the glucosomine, but my vet didn't want me fooling around with it. I'll have to check out why.

cavyhaven13

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:00 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. We've had a death in the family (my Great Aunt) and things have been a little mixed up lately.

Regarding the glucosamine supplement, here is the image of the bottle:

I found it at Wal-Mart in the vitamin isle for less than $14. But you are supposed to be able to get it at Costco, Walgreen's, RiteAid, Longs, and Brookes Pharmacy.

I think this is a press release from Symtec about the supplement.
http://www.symteclab.com/news_23-12-04.shtml

For Butters, a 6+ year old neutered male, weighing about 1200 grams, his dosage is 1.0-1.5ml daily. I am going to see my vet on Friday (Aug 4th) for another matter, so at that time I can ask her to show me the calculations she used to come to that dosage. I love how this has helped Butters be as active as he wants to be now. But it has also helped another 7 1/2 year old male regain some flexiblity in his legs, plus made some of my middle-aged sows be less cranky and run away faster when I'm trying to catch them.

They all think it's a treat, and even some come running when they hear me shake the bottle. My vet has even begun keeping a supply of it at her clinic to give out to her patients. Maybe we're on to something.

Teresa

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:25 am

Alright, well, I'm going to try it. Sammy is really starting to drag his back legs now.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:33 am

I found another liquid Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement at one of the health food stores. It was either Hi Health or GNC. The brand name is NOW, in a brown plastic bottle with an orange label. It kinda tastes like orange juice. Reba did really well on 1ml a day. I saw a definite difference within a few weeks of starting it.

She eventually ended up on daily doses of Metacam, but she had the calcium and teeth issues making things worse too. The Metacam did a good job at relieving her pain also. I continued the Glucosamine with the Metacam, per the vet's recommendation.

Electra

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 pm

This is wonderful and timely.
When I got Skip a year ago, Theresa and Leah said he was 5. Since I've had him a year, he's now in the area of needing some help.
I've noticed he doesn't go out of his pigaloo as much as he did earlier in the year. So, it could be due to stiffness.

When we put our geriatric dogs on this years ago, our vet said to "front load" the dosage and then back off. So, don't know if that still applies. We saw a huge difference in their comfort and activity level. The dogs went on to live to be 18, 17 and 16 respectively. Our vet was astounded by the 18 year old Golden Retriever. He believed Oliver to be one of the oldest he'd ever seen. I attribute it to making him so comfortable with the Glucosamine/Chondroitin combo.
Thank you for sharing this information. I'll pick some up for Skip and get him started.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:45 pm

Peppi is 6 or 7 years old and has pretty bad arthritis in his hind legs, and he does pretty well with Metacam. He even still stands on the bars of the cage and on his hind legs if he's really excited and sees food coming.

Incidentally, I have the x-rays for his stone here, and you can also see the arthritis in his knees. I'll try to scan and post them later tonight, if that would provide helpful info.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:46 pm

I would be interested in seeing more on this, too. Gilbert's x-ray also shoed arthritis in his knees.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:40 pm

Oh, that would be great! I was hoping for some xrays of arthritis.

I was doing some research earlier, reading Pinta-posts. She said: "Arthritis shows as white lumpiness/swelling around a joint in an xray. Your vet will recognize it is it's there. Sometimes you can see the bone degrading at the joint."

cavyhaven13

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:30 am

Dosage for the supplement is 1.0mL/kg. Dr. VanBuer is excited to know that others are trying it. She has also recently been giving it to a bird, a rabbit, and a cat with good results.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:51 pm

I'll ask Dr. Swenson on Tuesday about getting copies of Gilbert's x-ray.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:25 pm

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a good scan of an x-ray? I tried scanning Peppi's so you could all see how his arthritis looks, but it's a pretty crappy scan. You can see the bones but no soft tissue, so it's not as easy to see where things are in relation to each other. I'd like to do better. The arthritis is somewhat visible.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:01 pm

I think Salana did it successfully. I seem to remember her holding it to a window but I may be all wrong. Try a good digital camera with strong back lighting.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:26 pm

I apologize for the length of time it took me to get around to posting this. I've been having a hard time finding time to get on the computer these days.

Here's an x-ray of Peppi from August showing his bladder stone that was since removed, but also showing the arthritis in his back knees. At this size, it's a little hard to see, but there is fuzziness around the knee joints that indicates the arthritis. Lynx, if you think a larger picture at a higher resolution would be helpful, let me know. I have one.

FYI, Peppi is a 6 or 7 year old boar.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:54 pm

A bigger pic would be great:

cavyhaven13

Post   » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:36 am

Has anyone tried the Symtec supplement yet? Just curious if it's working for anyone else.

39 posts