Strange bloody thing just came out of Sanford.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:14 pm

This object came out of Sanford at about 4pm today.

It was about an inch long and half inch wide. I had assumed it was blood in the urine, but it certainly doesn't *look* like urine. It almost looks like mucus. It wasn't laying in a puddle of pee, it was just laying as is. All I know was that it came from Sanford and it came from her backside. I don't know which opening.

Other than this bizzare thing, Sanford is eating / pooping etc. normally and appears to be in no pain.

The emergency vet at UPenn had no idea what it was either. Granted they only had these photos to go on since I coudln't take the cage with me. They agreed that it didn't look like urine and that they wouldn't recommend an x-ray because they are doubting stones or UTI. They gave sub-q fluids to induce a pee, and when she did pee, no blood or signs of distress.

They told me to take her home, separate her (since intros were just today anyway) and monitor her output.

What in gods name is this? Does anyone have any ideas? What should I request from my normal vet when I call? I'm at a loss.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:16 pm

Did they test it and see if it was blood?

It sure looks like some sort of clot that was passed.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:17 pm

I have no idea on what it could be, but I sure hope Sanford will be ok. I am sure the experts will be along soon and will have some ideas for you. Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:18 pm

No, they only had the photos to go on because I coudln't take the cage with me. I wish I had thought to take the fleece but since it's so huge and I panicked it didn't occur to me.

So what steps do I take next?

rshevin

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:28 pm

The things I can think of, and you can hopefully rule out, are:
UTI (you mentioned probably not that)
Ovarian cysts
Endometriosis (do pigs even get this?)
Colon abrasion or polyp (do pigs get this?)

As you can see, some of these things I don't even know if pigs get, but if it were a human, those would be initial guesses at least.

I'm new and not familiar with her story. Is there any chance at all she could have been pregnant sometime recently?

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:33 pm

I was wondering that myself, rshevin, because it looks like it could be something vaginal (or anal?) since sanford has recently peed and there are no signs of blood.

I've had her for about a month and a half and the guy we got her from had her as an only pig. I can't even imagine her being pregnant, it seems impossible. Now, I don't know how long he had her or what her situation was prior to him. I don't know if she was bred or anything. But the chances of her being pregnant currently seem unlikely.

I'd almost RATHER it be a UTI or *something* so at least I know what it is, but this is most unusual. It hasn't happened since and she's only peed once since and nothing.

The only thing out of the ordinary were the introductions that took place today with her and my two others. Sanford was the bully and scared my other two to death. But I don't know that the other two could have done anything to induce internal bleeding or whatever this is.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Any chance during introductions there could have been a fight or a bite that caused a wound that bled? Could it have been from the mouth?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:35 pm

It is most likely urinary but could be reproductive. rshevin's guesses sound good. Looks like a possible clot to me too. At least once one of my pigs passed a clot (she had a uti).

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:37 pm

If any biting was going on it was from Sanfords end towards my others. She was the bully and left my other two too scared to move, literally.

It did not come from the mouth. When I noticed this in the cage I watched her for a bit and when she moved another spot was on the fleece from her rear area. But then -- nothing. And both I and the vet checked for wounds, there were none.

It's as if she passed this weird blob and just went on with her life. She just ate veggies and pooped.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:38 pm

Ok, Lynx, should I just watch her this weekend and call the main vet on Monday? Should I ask for x-rays? What else? Or should I go back to the ER tomorrow?

Oh and is it possible for her to have a UTI and no blood in the pee but just one clot passed?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:40 pm

The ER already saw your pig, right? Could you call and get them to prescribe you some bactrim in case it's a uti (hate to have you pay for another visit)?

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:42 pm

I will call now and see. If they won't give me an rx, what's my next step? Go back tomorrow? It's about 45 minutes away and I just got back.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Gee, 45 minutes away. Hey, if they agree and will do it, it's a human med and maybe they could call a prescription in to a regular pharmacy for you. Won't hurt to try.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:47 pm

I don't even know a pharmacy that's open this late (it's 9:50 right now). No one's even picking up the phone now even though they said it's 24 hours.

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:54 pm

I'm thinking it's reproductive, specifically the uterus.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:55 pm

Geez, what does that mean for poor sanford? More importantly, I guess I need to know what steps to take next.

The ER is being a bit unhelpful as they won't allow docs to talk on the phone. The boyfriend is on hold with them now asking about Bactrim.

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 pm

Reproductive problems usually means a spay.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:01 pm

The ER will do nothing for me. They won't call in an Rx for me. I'm quite annoyed with them. They want me to drive back and pay another $100.

Do I go back to these fools tomorrow or wait until monday for my regular vet? :(

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm scared now and don't know what to do. I just read this thread and I'm getting very upset.

I'm not sure where to go from here. If I need to spay I don't know that I want the ER vet to do it, they seem uncaring anyway. Also I don't even know if this is reproductive or urinary or what? Can this wait til I call the regular vet on Monday?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:28 pm

Hang in there. You can increase her fluids (syringe water). Weigh her and make sure she's eating. If she is otherwise okay, your regular vet should be alright.

While it could be reproductive, urinary tract problems are more common.

By her behavior you should be able to tell how serious it is.

342 posts