Boar-Boar Introductions or Greetings from the Bathroom Floor

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:13 pm

In what has to be a first for me, I am online from the floor of my bathroom where Piggy and Smudgie have successfully received a buddy bath and are now bonding in a tiny temporary pen on the floor (aka neutral territory). I now realize I have neglected to obtain one piece of the infinite guinealynx wisdom. Exactly (or approximately) how long do I need to sit and watch these little buggers before I can be realitively sure they're ok together? I need to go scrub the cage so they can be roomies!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 pm

Um, hard question to answer. I'd think if all looked well after about half an hour I'd leave them to it, and keep popping in and out over the next hour or so.

At least that's what I do when I do introductions.

Since there's no history on this thread, did you have problems with them before?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Cool. I love GL and I love Mum, I really, really do. They are doing super well together in this little bitty pen. They are mostly percolating and sniffing each others noses. It will be so much fun to have them living together.

I did try a brief floor time non-bathing introduction and it ended after LOTS of teeth chattering, chasing, and humping so needless to say I am pleased as punch this is going so well this time.

I'm so glad my neighbor has unpassworded wifi so I can post from the bathroom. Needless to say, I don't have a phone line in here.

Zalida

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm so glad my neighbor has unpassworded wifi
I'm laughing my a** off here :D

That's so cute you're sitting there with your piggies and guarding them, they have a great mom.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:32 pm

I aim to amuse Zalida! CavySpirit was not unclear saying to be on guard with a towel to seperate any battles that may crop up.

sef1268

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:41 pm

I learned the "towel" rule the hard way, after sticking my hand in to separate a fighting Tobias and Petie back when they were living together. Still have a little scar to show for it.

I usually say if nothing remarkable has happened after an hour or so, it should be okay to go for it.

Good luck! I'm still debating if I'm going to try another round of intros with Henry and either Petie or Otis. I'm tired of having 6 cages to clean. :-(

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Uh, I am so not sitting here for an hour. I sprained my ankle just before I left town (which is why they weren't introduced last week) and ugg, this is definitely not comfy. They're getting 30 minutes and then I'll just move the neutral territory pen to the kitchen where I can keep an eye on them and scrub the cage at the same time.

Jennicat

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:07 pm

My general rule of thumb is to watch them for an hour, and then peek in every 5-10 minutes after that for an hour, and then peek every half hour, etc.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:10 pm

Ok, I've compromised. The neutral territory pen is now in the kitchen where I can observe without pain so I can now do the whole hour. Works for me.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Excellent - hope it continues to go well!

May your neighbor never catch on to his lack of password. Posting from the bathroom is just so useful :-p

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:16 pm

rshevin - When I introduced my two girls, I left them together in a large play area for hours. The first two were spent observing them. The rest were spent cleaning the "new" cage.

Of course, I wasn't sitting on the floor of the bathroom, either. That probably would have speeded things up quite a bit for me. :)

eta: When are you posting pictures of the cuties?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:46 pm

Wow that was a lot of work! Dare I say it, but I think everything is just fine. They are both in the C&C cage with 2 of everything and I don't hear anything but burbling and percolating.

Mum,
I should have included this link with my first post. There was no history on the post because the pigs didn't really have any history together. http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34429&highlight=rescue+underweight+boar

Smudgie is a new rescue from animal management, Piggy is my original boar from the SPCA. That brings to mind the question of why I went ahead with buddy bath while forgoing other tactics. Well, both are older boars (4+ years) who have been single their entire lives. I really wanted it to work so I went ahead with the big guns.

I'm going to leave Smudgie's old pen on the floor put together for a few days just in case.

The only thing I can't seem to fit into the 2x4 C&C is 2 houses. I have a single pigloo, a double pigloo (inherited), and 2 fiddle sticks houses (but those smell like Piggy). I'm guessing it's time to break out the shoe box hoard?

Pictures of the new friends will follow when I'm not so bushwacked.

Smudgie:

Piggy:

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 am

Smudgie and Piggie are beautiful! I hope they have a long and happy friendship!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:21 am

I can only fit either two single pigloos or one double pigloo in my 2x4s. You may get lucky, and the boys may share a double pigloo. Or not!

I'm so glad the intros went well.

happyhoppy

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:28 am

Who's the boss?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:56 am

I'm not sure yet, Piggy is the original pig of the house, and is twice Smudgie's size, but boss is yet to be determined.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:11 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! It was going so well and then I picked up both boys for nightnight snuggles and Smudgie's foot is bleeding like mad. He's had a black toenail there as long as I've had him and it looks like he's knocked it off. I've washed and washed and put styptic powder on him but now I am at such a loss. I don't want to harm him but I also don't want to risk the work he and Piggy have already done. I have no idea if this is related or not. I haven't left the apartment all night and I haven't heard any squabbling, squealing, screaming, etc.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:08 am

I would leave them be, although you are probably sleeping and have done whatever you did.

sef1268

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:12 am

Piggy is just so darn adorable. I totally love that little face.

Foot injury might not be a bite...is there anything (like a ramp, or wire hay rack?) that he might have snagged it on during a retreat?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:02 am

Well you're right, I had already gone to bed. I knew getting a response at that hour would be iffy at best and after traveling I was beyond exhausted. I washed the foot really well, put oodles of styptic powder on, and made darn sure it wasn't bleeding. Then the pigs and I vegged on the couch for a long while to make sure everyone was getting along still, and they are. I kept them together while treating as much as possible. I'm going to get materials for a foot bandage today in case I need to wrap it up.

This morning I found both of them crammed into a single shoebox, sharing! I figured that was a great sign that maybe the double pigloo would work, nope. Soon as I put it in there, chasing, humping, rumbling, and teeth chattering arose. Go figure. I washed it twice, with vinegar and then with soap and hot water. Shoe boxes it is.

52 posts