Cookie

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:25 am


I have an abby girl at least 3 and half years old (I've had her 3 years and she was not a baby when I got her), who is showing some of the signs of ovarian cysts but not all of them. She has had bulbous sides for a long time but no other symptoms. However, she has been in season for two solid weeks now. Driving the other girls crazy. She does not have enlarged crusty nipples nor any hair loss (can't say the same for her favorite humping victim-poor Nilla is missing some hair on her sides from all the foreleg action). I talked to the vet yesterday and if we do anything it will be Hcg shots. I realize in a perfect world a spay is the best option, but my vet is not that savvy when it comes to major cavy surgery, even he admits that.

Currently, she is being a pest to the others but so far at least tensions haven't been too high. Should I just wait a little longer to see if she comes out on her own or should we start the the shots? He said she would get two shots two weeks apart and that should stop it, but it will recur won't it? And if so, how often?

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:18 am


He said she would get two shots two weeks apart and that should stop it, but it will recur won't it? And if so, how often?
There's a thread with some information here:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30008&highlight=hcg

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:18 pm


If she follows the pattern Snowflake followed, you will see hairloss in perhaps a month or two. And the pmsy behavior will continue. I sympathize with choosing an alternative to a spay. Hope the shots help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:05 pm


Here's another reference:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32279

Best to Cookie and to you.

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:43 am


Thanks for the well wishes, I'll read that thread, too.

She's still mounting, the vet wanted to wait another week to see if she would come out on her own, I really don't think that is going to happen. She's been mounting Carmen's head, she's the only one she does that too, the others she mounts from behind. Perhaps it's because Carmen is so wide and round (I had her checked for cysts due to her appearance a few months ago). This really sets Cookie up for a bad bite if Carmen were so inclined. Every night I find myself saying "Cookie, stooop that", knowing full well she has no control and my admonishment is not going to make it go away. The only one she doesn't mount is Hershey. Hershey is by far the smallest in the cage, but she don't take nothing off anyone-I guess Cookie knows not mess with dynamite.

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:34 am


Cookie is scheduled to start Hcg shots this Wednesday, but now I'm concerned that she may have developed pyometra. Saturday morning there was a few blood spots in the cage. One looked to be mixed in urine and one looked like a pure blood spot with mucus mixed in, then there were a few blood spots. There is another pig in this cage that completed treatment for a UTI about 10 days prior so she could be the culprit. When I separated all 7 until they peed of course no one peed blood. There is also no visible blood around Cookies vagina area on several checks over the weekend. Sunday morning there was another urine stain that looked like it had blood in it. No other blood. This morning all was clear.

Question: Should we start the Hcg if there is a possibility the blood is coming from Cookie? As mentioned earlier, spaying is extremely risky as this vet is not very experienced in cavy spays and I lost a girl to a spay at this clinic a few years ago. There is another vet I might consider using for a spay if it comes down to it, but she works at Banfield now which means its a) going to be very high and b) they will expect payment immediately. At this point money is very tight and I've got something leaking in a closet at my home which MUST be fixed and could be very expensive to do (I'll know more when the plumber gets there tomorrow).

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:49 pm


The blood may be unrelated. Maybe a urine analysis would tell you if it's coming from the bladder. I don't know if you should try the Hcg now or later. See what the vet thinks (there should be cautions on the drug info pamphlet that would help you decide whether or not to use it).

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:40 am


Cookie got her hcg shot yesterday morning and perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but the mounting behavior already seems less-not gone, but the poor girl seems less frenzied this morning. Fingers crossed. I didn't really expect to see a change so soon.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:30 am


I sure hope this works for her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:13 pm


Same here. Please keep us posted. And I hope the pipe in the closet wasn't too expensive, too.

User avatar
Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:58 pm


Keeping my fingers crossed for Cookie!

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:44 am


OK now for another question. Cookie has stopped mounting, Yea! But now I wonder if I should at least get her the second shot. I really didn't think one would work this quickly and had planned on getting her the second at one at least and perhaps even a third. Her symptoms only included the mounting-no hair loss and no crusty enlarged nipples-perhaps this means that her cyst was small and easily treated? What would you all recommend? A second shot or wait and see if the the mounting behavior returns?

My pipe in the closet is a freaking nightmare-what a way to dampen any Christmas spirit I had. The closet is not commonly used but it is where I keep many of my Christmas decorations. It was while getting them out that I discovered the leak which had ruined most of the decorations. So plumbers come and tell me that if I'm lucky it would be a pipe in the wall and if I'm not it would be the shower pan. So they cut a hole in the wall and find a leaky pipe. Even though it cost me $115 I felt like I had won the lottery. Until I took my next shower. There is still water leaking into the closet-so not only was I unlucky; I was doubly so, as I had both a leaky pipe AND a bad shower pan. I keep hoping I'm going to wake up soon and discover it was all nightmare-except of course Cookie doing so well after one shot.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:51 am


My Plumb's handbook says for cystic ovaries: 1000 unites/animal IM, repeat in 7-10 days (Adamcak and Otten 2000).

Adverse effects, warnings in humans are that hcg has caused pain at the injection site, gynecomastia, headache, depression, irritability, and edema. Other than abortion in mares in early pregnancy, there aren't any reported adverse reactions for veterinary patients. Sounds like a second shot might help so long as you're not seeing any adverse effects.

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:03 am


Well, he wanted to repeat in 14 days. I wonder if I can get him to do it in 10 instead. 10 days would be Saturday the 23rd maybe I can use that as an excuse-I need it done on a weekend.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:09 am


I have the 4th edition and it specifically lists the dose as that for guinea pigs.

I know no more.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:40 pm


I would definitely get at least the second shot.

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:43 am


I got a call from the vet yesterday, he doesn't want to repeat on Saturday (10 days from first shot) and indicated I was putting her at risk by doing so. I kept my appointment and as of now plan on getting her the second shot on Saturday. Anybody know if what he is saying holds water? I want to do what is best for Cookie. Right now she seems to be doing great.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:15 am


Since this is not an antibiotic that is "knocking something out", it probably is not important to do it in 10 days. I just posted the info I had available in my book.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:46 pm


I suggest emailing Elly through the mailer. She may not see it or have time to respond in time, but she has had very good success with the shots for one of her pigs, and a very good vet she has confidence in. Perhaps her vet could shed some light on 10 days being dangerous or not.

Knowing absolutely nothing about this, I would tend to agree with Lynx; the timing may not be as critical as it would be with an antibiotic, for example. Could you go next Saturday, 12/30? That would be 17 days (vs. the 14 the vet wants).

User avatar
mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:48 am


Well, Cookie is a mounting raging lunatic again. She came in last week and at first it appeared to be a normal season for her-some mounting but not overly aggressive. I was hoping it would not escalate, but it has. She is driving her cagemates crazy. I will make an appointment for another shot, but I really need to decide what is best for her in the long run.

There are no vets here I trust to do surgery. I can talk to Dr. Booth again to see if my trust there will increase, but I just don't think she has enough gp spay experience.

How realistic is it, really, to take her on a 5-6 hour car drive to St. Louis to be spayed? And if I do this, how long will I need to stay there before bringing her home? Or is it best to just continue with the Hcg shots indefinately?

Post Reply
63 posts