ALERT: Imidacloprid + moxidectin (Advocate/Advantage Multi)

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Bayer is planning to release imidacloprid (Advantage) with moxidectin added this year. From what I've found, they will be calling it Advocate in the US. It has been available in Canada for some time as Advantage Multi.

They are marketing it aggressively against the superproduct Revolution (selamectin), since it prevents heartworm disease, sarcoptic mange, etc. as does this new product. Please use great caution as moxidectin has been implicated in many toxicities in the past in other species and was pulled off the shelves as ProHeart6 (the injectable heartworm prevention for dogs) a few years back.

If you will be using imidacloprid for lice in cavies, please make sure you have the PLAIN Advantage and not the new product.

(I will cross-post this on the reference thread).

Bayer Website Press Release

rshevin

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:30 am

Thanks Josephine. That's good to know. Why don't these drug companies understand that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Let me guess, the patent is running out on Advantage soon? Personally, I keep my cat on advantage year round and it's doubly useful in case of lice in the pig folk. Maybe Advantage will become cheaper because of this.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Just got a flyer in with our Bayer order today. Apparently, the US IS going with the name Advantage Multi?!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Oh crap. Nice and confusing. Why can't they call it Advocate?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Probably a more well known name will sell better.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Thanks Josephine for making us aware of these things. It's easy to overlook details if you're not forwarned.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Josephine, do you have more informations about moxidectin toxicity?

I'd like to have more informations, because a member of my portuguese forum used Advocate in her guinea pig, she said it's on a Bayer's pamphlet that it can be used in guinea pigs. I asked and she put pictures of the pamphlet (it's about exotic animals), it says Advocate can be used for "mites, fleas and flea larvae and nematodes" but I could not find the same information on the website.

She said after using Advocate her GP expelled a worm (?). I'm intrigued and worried, if it's potentially dangerous for the pig. I'm thinking in write to Bayer, but I'm trying to find more informations on moxidectin. Thank you!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:54 am

We should clarify, that Advocate is the same product as Advantage Multi. The name changes from country to country.

I couldn't find info on usage of Advocate online in species other than dogs and cats?
http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.a ... &ItemId=73

Drugs.com info, including warnings of avermectin-sensitive animals and toxicity. http://www.drugs.com/vet/advantage-mult ... -dogs.html

There are way too many sites to sift through on moxidectin toxicity.