Diablo's Medical Thread

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:56 pm

So, my little boy Diablo has a few medical problems. I thought it would be best to give him his own medical thread, so I can ask questions and get advice. First, a little background on him:
Diablo is a 3-4 year REW boar. He used to belong to a friend, but she no longer wanted him. On Feb. 8, 2007 she gave him to me. He has had a poor diet all his life. VERY crappy pellet mix-nearly all seeds, and no hay, hardly any veggies. When he came to me, his poos were hard and light brown.

Diablo's first issue would be his head tilt. His head is turned significantly to the right. Dr. Crum says there is no neurological damage, so it is probably from an old ear infection, because he has had the tilt for at least a year. Although there is a chance it's tooth problems, I doubt it because he eats hard foods like pellets, hay, and carrots without problems.

Right now, he also has a corneal ulcer on his right eye. This is from Snickers biting him. Diablo is now in his own separate cage. He is currently getting 1-2 triple AB drops in that eye 3 times a day for two weeks. If anyone is interested, the box says "Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Gramicidin Opthalmic Solution USP".

Diablo's other problem is his weight. As of yesterday, he weighs 750G. The little guy looks very skinny, too! I'm giving him 6 mLs of Critical Care twice a day. He's also getting .4 mL of liquid vitamin C because of his poor diet. Any suggestions on what his diet should be like? I'm giving him unlimited hay (of course) and lots of veggies. I'm not sure what to do about pellets, though. He has been on the aforementioned seed crap pellets, and refuses to eat Oxbow pellets. Should I keep him on the crap (Vitakraft Menu) while he gets his weight up, of just switch him to Cavy Cuisine now? What about Cavy Performance? I think that it might be good for him, because it is higher in calories, right?

All feedback/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:11 pm

That was smart to start a medical thread for him.

As I said in the other thread, be careful with TOO many pellets.

I would also introduce new foods a little at a time and feed him small meals more often, at least in the beginning.

His "sister" and her mate are so glad he's got a better home now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:51 pm

Does he like the Critical Care?

If he does, I'd up the CC to more than 6 mL twice a day. I think I'd shoot for 10-15 mL twice, or more, per day if he wants it and if you can manage it.

If he likes it well enough to eat on his own, you could make a clot of it and put it in his cage, on a small plate or saucer, so he can nibble on it at will.

Cavy Performance will help give him nutrients he needs and bulk him up a little. My concern with it is at his age -- well at any age -- you sure don't want him developing stones, sludge, chronic UTI's etc. from the excess calcium.

Is he drinking okay? How does his urine look? If it's not exceptionally cloudy or with crystals in it, you could try the Performance and see how he likes it.

Bless you for taking him and helping him.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:10 pm

He does not like the CC much, but maybe he will like it more with time.

He is drinking plenty and his urine looks fine, so I guess I will try the Performance. I'm guessing it would be good to cut down on high calcium foods once I switch him over to it, right?

Thank you guys for the help!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:14 pm

" ... cut down on high calcium foods once I switch him over to it, right?"

Right, but unfortunately a lot of the high-C greens are also high-calcium. You may want to go easy on the high-calcium greens (parsley, kale) as long as you are supplementing his C.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Maybe if you gradually add the oxbow pellets to the crappy pellets, like maybe over a week or so, he'd be more willing to switch?

He's a lucky boy that he's with you now.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Topaz- I think that's what I'll do. The Cavy Performance is ordered, and should be here in a few days, so once it comes I'll do that.

Talishan- I will keep supplimenting him with vitamin C, and cut down on the high calcium foods, then. Are there any high-C low-calcium veggies you reccomend?

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I just wanted to update and say that Diablo's doing great. He ate somee criticasl care paste on his own, and is eating LOTS of veggies, as well as hay.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:03 pm

It turns out he probably does have a tooth problem. I watched him eating pellet, and he would take one in his mouth, chew a few times, then spit it out. This happened over and over. I'm going to call the vet in a minute.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:24 pm

I just talked with Dr. Crum, and we both think he probably has Malocclusion. He is eating veggies and hay just fine, but not pellets. I've also watched him eating carrots, and I'm not sure if it is hard for him to eat them, or if he just doesn't like them. He eats some of the carrot, and nothing falls out of his mouth, but he never finishes the carrot.
I will take Diablo in to check out his mouth once he reaches his target weight of 800G. Right now he is 760G.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:44 pm

"Are there any high-C low-calcium veggies you reccomend?"

Bell pepper. It's nature's perfect guinea pig food.

Hopefully one or two molar trims is all he will need. Best to you and to him.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:46 pm

I'm glad to heaar bell pepper is good. He loves it, and I've been feeding it to him every day.
Thank you!