Shedding-Not an emergency, just looking for advice.

SStroh

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Within the last week my piggie Stella (7mo female) has started to shed terribly. The hair is not coming out in clumps, and she doesn't have any bald spots or anything, but whenever I hold her I get completely covered in hair. She also scratches a little bit, but not always. I've been worried about her for a while, but I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if I need to get her to the vet to be sure. I've read a bunch of different things and some places say that shedding is normal and others say it's a sign of some problems.

I've just started feeding her about a half cup of romaine lettuce and a half cup of kale every evening, before she wouldn't eat anything but carrots, but after reading up a little I started only giving her one small carrot every other day. Along with this she also has pellets and hay available all day. I haven't been weighing her, but she doesn't appear to be losing any weight, and she's eating fine.

I'm also giving her a vitamin supplement in an extra water bottle in her cage, which I change every 12 hours (I know vitamins in the water aren't necessarily a good thing, but she does have regular water to drink as well, and she drinks from both bottles regularly).

Basically I just want to know if I should get her into the vet right away to get her checked out, or if I can wait a week or so to see if anything else happens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:21 pm

She likely has mites. I would get her treated with ivermectin. Don't get a skin scraping if your vet treats her. Treat all your pigs.

www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

SStroh

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:20 pm

That's what I originally thought as well, but I checked with the people I got her from and they said they check all their pigs every other week and they haven't had any problems with mites for about 8 months now. Is there any way for her to have gotten mites at home? We don't have any other pigs, yet (We're getting another soon), and she hasn't been anywhere except the vet and our house.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:25 pm

A pig under stress can have a mite break out.
Treat your pig for mites. She will thank you for it.

SStroh

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks a bunch! I am going to try to get her to the vet tomorrow afternoon.

SStroh

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:52 am

Allright, I have a bit of an update and another question. First of all, I treated Stella with topical Ivermectin for 4 weeks, and she's still shedding and biting.

She's not itching at all, but she bites whenever I pet her on her left side. She even attacked my poor boyfriends chin one time when she brushed it while walking around on his chest.

On top of this we finally got to introduce her to Shasta (our new piggie who was in quarantine for almost 5 weeks because she had lice and a URI). They seem to get along fine most of the time, but Stella is a bit of a bully. Everything I've read talks about dominance mounting, and rumblestrutting and such, but I've seen none of this. Instead Stella always chases Shasta around and tries to climb under her.

It's the strangest thing I've ever seen, and when Shasta doesn't cooperate, Stella bites her! Stella also seems to have taken over all of the pigloos we have. If Shasta goes in one, Stella will stop whatever she's doing and run in to chase her out.

When they're not bickering they both seem perfectly happy, and they popcorn and run all over the cage like crazy! It is a 4 x 2 C&C cage with a 1 x 2 hayloft, so I don't think it's a issue of room.

Just today I found a small spot on Shasta's ear that looks lke it might be a little scab. It's just a rough spot on the end of her ear, but I can't figure out what else it could be. She's also been treated for mites, along with the lice. She got 3 weeks of injected ivermectin followed by 3 more weeks of topical ivermectin, so I'm sure it's not mites.

I just realized this is a bit long, but I'm basically just wondering if this is just normal dominance stuff, or if I'm going to have to separate them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, let me know if you need any other info, I don't think I left anything out, but I can never be sure.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:44 am

It may take a few more treatments to completely clear it up. You're treating both pigs?

jenkila04

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:17 am

I'm guessing the scab is just that, but maybe not from scratching... One of my piggies doesn't hesitate to nibble or pull on the ends of her cagemates' ears if she wants access to the pigloo, water bottle, etc. I think she's discovered it's a very effective means to get what she wants without having to expend much energy! That said, be sure to continue the treatment for mites just in case. It won't hurt them!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:25 am

I haven't been weighing her, but she doesn't appear to be losing any weight, and she's eating fine.
Are you weighing at least weekly now? Please do this. By the time you can actually see weightloss the pig is very sick.

I agree with Lynx - you may need to be continuing the mite treatments.

I wonder if Stella can see well out of both eyes? How old is she?

SStroh

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Mum, I didn't notice I had said that earlier- yes I am weighing them both weekly, and I am treating them both with the ivermectin.

Stella is under 1 year, our best guess based on her weight, which is about 620 grams, is that she's only about 5 or 6 months old. Is there any way to tell how well she can see?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:38 pm

"Stella also seems to have taken over all of the pigloos we have. If Shasta goes in one, Stella will stop whatever she's doing and run in to chase her out."

I had to remove all the pigloos when I put my two girls together. They just could not share, and pigloos really seemed to set them off.

I only use hideys that have two exits now.

SStroh

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 9:35 pm

I have a quick question. I think Stella has ear mites, and I've read over the site information so I'm going to start ivermectin treatment this weekend for both girls. My question is, she also has some white flakes on the edge of her ear that might be fungal, but could it just be from the mites as well?

I can't get to a vet until next week, unfortunately, and the fact is I trust the judgement on this board more than any of my vets anyway. I've got a couple pictures, but they aren't very good.
These are of the bad ear:
This one is her other ear, and all that's there is one little bump that almost looks like a small blister.
It's the small white spot in the picture.

She shakes her head whenever I touch her ears, and she's been shaking her head quite a bit all this week, but I just noticed her ears today.

She also has some crusty stuff in her ears, but it's hard to see because her ears are dark and the stuff is dark as well. Plus I can't get a good look because she keeps shaking her head, and I'm afraid I'm hurting her.

So I'm starting ivermectin, should I also get some fungal cream? Also, should I bother going to the vet, or should I try home treatment first, and then if that doesn't work, take her to the vet?

Thanks to anyone who responds, I really appreciate the advice given on these boards!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 10:10 pm

You might try an antifungal cream like Monistat on the ears.

www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Treating for mites is a great idea. If there are ear mites it will help. You might start cleaning her ears regularly. Read about ear mites too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Ditto Lynx. Try the Monistat. A thin layer only, don't glob it on -- you don't want her to eat it.

To the best of my knowledge you can treat for mites with ivermectin and use Monistat at the same time with no injury or 'conflict'.

SStroh

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Excellent. Thanks so much! I will go get some cream tonight or tomorrow and I'll start the ivermectin tonight.

To clean her ears I saw on the site that mineral oil or ear cleaner will work, is there an ear cleaner specifically for guinea pigs, or will any pet ear cleaner work?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 26, 2007 8:19 am

Any pet ear cleaner should work. I think Otoclens is a good one.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Sat May 26, 2007 8:39 am

With the first treatment of monistat topical on Queenie's ear the white fungus went away pronto. And I learned it here folks!

SStroh

Post   » Sat May 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Allright, I got some monistat to try on the outside of Stella's ears and some pet ear cleaner. I couldn't find otoclens, my pet store is kind of an all natural sort of store, but they did have a pet ear cleaner that contains witch hazel, glycerin, boric acid and tea tree oil.

I've read a few things on here about using tea tree oil, and it seems a bit conflicting, will it be okay to try or should I look for something else?

khb1582

Post   » Sat May 26, 2007 8:59 pm

That looks a lot like Rupert's ear spot that popped up a few months ago. He had been treated for ringworm prior, but this spot came up after all the rest of his ringworm was gone. Monistat cleared it up but it did take about 1-2 weeks. It hasn't come back, thank goodness!

SStroh

Post   » Sat May 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Well, she won't let me touch her ears to clean them. I got some monistat on them, but she will not let me anywhere near the inside.

Will it be okay to just treat her with the monistat and ivermectin for now, and wait to clean out her ears until they are less sensitive?

I can't believe how bad they are! I check them every week during weigh in, and last week I was in a hurry and never looked. I feel bad that I didn't catch this earlier, and now she seems so miserable! Is there any tricks to helping her be more comfortable until the treatments start working?

29 posts