Shelter pigs w/ringworm

sosumi

Post   » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:32 pm

Just so I am clear on this, exactly what is the dose & frequency of using Program for fungus?

I have already gave the girls a bath with Nizoral shampoo and used a bit of monistat cream on the visible sores. There is one small spot on Cocoa's shoulders and a few tiny spots on her groin. Penelope does not show any symptoms, but they are cage mates. Cocoa's hair is visibly thinning, but no other sores.

We just ordered Program (oral suspension) for cats 11-20 lbs. I will get their exact weights, but if I remember correctly from Saturday's weigh-in Cocoa is just about 1060 g and Penelope is around 1100 g.

I understand the concentration is key here, and I hope the package gives that in the fine print. If not, I guess I should use the figures Charybdis gave of 90 mg/ml?

So, Cocoa (my 1060 g pig) should get 0.3 ml of the oral suspension mixed with about 1 ml of flax seed oil. I give this orally. Should I also make sure she has food in her stomach, such as her favorite veges?

Should I use the same dose for Penelope, my other pig who is a bit heavier?

Also, when should I repeat this. In 30 days? Just two doses total?

Thanks, I want to make sure to get this right.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:06 am

See the product for frequency recommendations. See dose here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#fungus

sosumi

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks Lynx. I have been to that page and I am still confused. In fact, that page in the medical info links to this thread, which is why I posted in this thread.

Since the package of Program I am buying is for a cat, will the frequency be the same as it is for a pig? The link you sent me to states the dose will "vary from 30mg/kg to 45mg/kg to 90 mg/kg." I am not sure exactly how to interpret that for a pig; which is it?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:28 pm

Those are the ranges for pigs. My pig was dosed at 90mg/kg. He was given another dose in 14 days. Also, the flax oil is considered the 'fatty meal' and will suffice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:44 pm

It's relatively safe, as far as I've heard. Since the higher dose may be more effective, I listed it. Up to you what you use.

Alex224

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm

The only Program for cats that I can find comes flavored like tuna or chicken. This sounds like it could be bad for my two boys who I will be treating. Please let me know if I should stay away and treat them with creams and shampoos only.

jacqueline

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Just as a related question - how do you know that the ringworm is gone?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 pm

The hair starts growing back.

wheekers328

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 am

I just wanted to comment on the air borne factor. If the pigs are in a very small room with the rabbits and its on the warmer side it can potentially be spread that way. I seriously doubt it though.

Where I work we keep sick animals in our isolation room, we had 3 ringworm piggies no one else in the room was infected. Temps in that room are kept at about 75 Degrees Fahrenheit so its pretty warm.