European Food Options Info

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu May 03, 2007 2:01 pm

So far the search for decent guinea pig food (let alone pellets) in European countries seems to be depressingly poor! Also the list of ingredients tends to be so vague as to be of little help in discovering what is good and what isn't.

See also UK Food Options Info which also contains links to the various nutritional pages throughout GuineaLynx to help you decide what is best to feed your guinea pig.

The only pellet food found by Maja for guinea pigs in Serbia is Cavia Complete by Versele Laga (Belgian brand):

Ingredients: (very vague)
Derivatives of vegetable origin, cereals, vegetables, vegetable protein extracts, seeds, minerals, FOS, MOS, lecithin, yucca extract, marigold extract.

Nutritional Analysis:
Crude protein ......... 15,5 %
Crude fat ......... 3,5 %
Crude ash ......... 8 %
Crude fibre ......... 20 %
Calcium ......... 1,0 %
Phosphorus ......... 0,8 %
Vitamin A ......... 10.000 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 ......... 1.500 IU/kg
Vitamin E ......... 30 mg/kg
Vitamin C ......... 750 mg/kg
Copper-cupric(II)sulfate ......... 10 mg/kg

I've done a quick search and certainly Cavia Complete appears to be better than the Cavia Crispy by the same company.
A quick summary is that it certainly has better ratios and higher fibre but it is a very generalised list of ingredients. They do state it's a low energy, low starch product though. The crushed seeds would likely be there as a source of protein (could also include those of grasses or sunflower, etc). The lecithin is a binding agent to help hold the pellets together.

Their website states the FOS and MOS are the prebiotics, the yucca extract is to help with faecal odour control and the marigold extract is not only a source of colouring but the carotenoid compounds within it are antioxidants and may help the immune system.

I've found this information on marigolds in food and for info relating to the marigolds in western medicine.

Certainly Cavia Complete is a better food than the Crispy (which is a mix) and not likely to do any harm if fed moderately, but without more info on what the main ingredients are it's difficult to say.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu May 03, 2007 2:10 pm

Another food by the same company is Cavia Nature which is also a complete pellet food for guinea pigs. According to the website it is composed of selected natural ingredients and enriched with fresh harvested alfalfa and herbs. Composed of lightly flaked, dried and extruded vegetables and herbs, Cavia Nature contains 16 different ingredients and all necessary amino-acids, minerals and trace-elements.

Nutritional Analysis:
Crude protein ......... 15 % 
Crude fat ......... 3 % 
Crude ash ......... 6,5 % 
Crude fibre ......... 15 % 
Calcium ......... 1,1 % 
Phosphorus ......... 0,5 % 
Vitamin A ......... 10.000 IU/kg 
Vitamin D3 ......... 1.500 IU/kg 
Vitamin E ......... 30  mg/kg 
Vitamin C ......... 250 mg/kg 
Copper-cupric(II)sulfate ......... 10 mg/kg 

Slightly different figures but again not much information on the list of ingredients, and different Ca:P ratios which may be due to the alfalfa content.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu May 03, 2007 2:18 pm

One ingredient that seems to be in far higher quantities in European brands of food is ash. In general, be careful of foods containing more than 10% ash. I've come across pellets available in Germany called 'Wiesengras Cobs' and advertised for rabbits and guinea pigs as purely natural and without chemical additives. Although the main ingredients are meadow grass and the general figures look good, it contains 16.6% ash. According to GL member Josephine, the ash is not good and a side-product of other ingredients and relates to magnesium content. Less than 10% is ideal. Not sure how safe it is in small amounts and is unavoidable to some extent. If a feed has more than 10%, it is certainly unbalanced in other ways and has poor quality ingredients.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu May 03, 2007 2:19 pm

Maja has discovered that there is a German site that carries Oxbow products and other items for small furries. They ship to Germany, EU and non EU countries, but the shipping costs can be high.

http://www.just4bun.com/f_aktuell.htm

A UK site that stocks Oxbow and many other items for guinea pigs and rabbits and ships overseas is www.bunnybazaar.co.uk

Supreme, the makers of Science Selective guinea pig food (although not the best, see here) and Science Recovery nutritional supplement have French, Dutch and German pages that you can contact for advice on stockists.
www.russelrabbit.com

www.zooplus.com is another Europe-wide site that stocks various items relating to small animals. The food is not ideal so would not recommend that, although since they stock Prestige Cavia Crispy and Cavia Nature, they may be able to order in Cavia Complete pellets too. They deliver to UK, Ireland, Poland, Italy, Czech Republic, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France and Germany. Their related sites are at: www.zooplus.de www.zooplus.co.uk www.zooplus.nl www.zooplus.fr www.zooplus.be www.zooplus.ie www.zooplus.pl

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed May 09, 2007 3:30 pm

The Oxbow Hay Company has an international page with links that may be of help in tracking down their products. Just click on your country's flag.

The following are the direct links for the European countries with some additional sites.

Belgium

France

Germany

Italy
There is also an Italian Oxbow site at www.oxbowhay.it

Netherlands

Norway

Sweden
Another site including a list of Oxbow stockists is www.chalimac.se

Switzerland

Israel - www.exoticpetshop.co.il

Malilla

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:00 pm

In Germany go to the Raiffeisen Markt. They have good quality pig food and hay.

Anais

Post   » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:56 am

I found some pellets yesterday that look better than the ones usually available here in Slovenia (usually lame seed mixes with colourful pellets...).

Bunny Nature (no, it's not bunny food): Schlemmer Wiese Basis (for guinea pigs):

alfalfa, wheat bran, husked oats bran, carrot jam, ground sunflower seed, fruit jam, wild oats, yellow oatgrass, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, perennial ryegrass, red fescue, smooth meadow-grass, timothy, white clover, red clover, bird's-foot trefoil, dandelion, silverweed, common mouse-ear, yarrow, plantain, bloody dock, ground flax, brewer's yeast, barley skins, ground rape plant, sodium chloride

crude protein.............14, 5%
crude fat......................3%
crude fibre.................20%
crude ash....................7%
calcium........................0,8%
phosphor....................0,4%
vitamin A....................12000UI/kg
vitamin D3....................1600 UI/kg
vitamin E...................50mg/kg
vitamin C.................600mg/kg
Copper-cupric(II)sulphate, pentahidrate.....24mg/kg

Bunny Nature: Schlemmer Wiese Young (for young guinea pigs):

alfalfa, husked oats bran, wheat bran, ground sunflower seeds, barley sprouts, timothy, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, perennial ryegrass, red fescue, smooth meadow-grass, redtop, tall oat-grass, yellow oatgrass, Dutch clover, red clover, dandelion, goosegrass, common chickweed, yarrow, plantain, bloody dock, linseed, lignocellulosis, calcium carbonate, sodium chloride

crude protein........17%
crude fat ................3,3%
crude fibre.............19%
crude ash................7,4
calcium....................1,1%
phosphor.................0,6%
vitamin A...........12000IE/kg
vitamin D3...........1200IE
vitamin E..............60mg
vitamin C...........600mg
Copper-cupric(II)sulphate, pentahidrate.....10,5mg/kg

*there might be mistakes in there, it's translated from Slovenian.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:22 am

The fiber content is a little low so be sure to feed in a rationed amount with plenty of hay but yeah that does look better than a lot of other options. It's not perfect (alfalfa base, seems to be VERY energy dense with all the oats and sunflower seeds and such), but it's better than a seed mixture.

CheesyMouse

Post   » Sat May 02, 2009 7:23 am

Oh thank you SO SO SO SO much Anais!
I've been looking for some good cavy pellets here in Slovenia!
Thanks again!

mmasters

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:34 am

The Swedish website for Oxbow products provides excellent customer service. Use the email address on the website. Product is usually shipped immediately.

TERRA-POLY VET is a useful antibiotic skin cream and it is well tolerated by guinea pigs.

VIBRAVET, a useful antibiotic medicine, has been banned in the EU.

mmasters

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:37 am

Bating Guinea Pigs:

Some animal shampoos and hair conditioners are quite expensive, so I use DOVE SHAMPOO and LOREAL CONDITIONER FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR on my guinea pigs. Both products are mild, get the piggers nice and clean, and leave their fur in perfect condition. I use both products on myself too.

The reason I used the above conditioner is because it's extra mild. (People who color their hair need a deep conditioner that is mild because their hair has been damaged.)

mmasters

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:39 am

BEST FRIENDS produces good quality grass hay. In three years, I have only run into one bag which was dusty with some mold.

However, I do NOT recommend BEST FRIENDS pellets or their guinea pigs. The pellets contain bad things and while the little treats have fruits and other nutritious yummies, my cavies just hate them.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:02 am

The best pellet made in Europe is Science Selective by Russel Rabbit, yet the piggies refuse to eat it daily. It is tasty though, but they don't like it very much. You can mail RR for a list of ingredients. No additives,, no colorants, extra fiber and ingredients to help piggies with bowel issues, like fennel.

I feed the pigs JR Farm. It contains far too many seeds, but the pigs don't eat seeds. It's not the best food, but it's the only one I can find that they want to eat and that doesn't make Kooky's bowels protest.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:07 am

This is a food, not medications thread.

Vibravet (doxycycline) appears on the safe meds page:
gl/antibiotics.html

Any triple antibiotic ointment (and likely your antibiotic cream) contain medications that are harmful if ingested. It is vital that it is not overused and only used very sparingly when necessary.

Your human shampoos strip oils. Animal shampoos are milder and work better.
gl/grooming.html

mmasters

Post   » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:37 am

My vet recommended TERRA-POLY VET and I've never had a problem with it in the six years I've used it for various cuts and abraisions.

Sorry about the mix-up with medications and food stuffs. MY mistake.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 am

How about Union Mischfutter

Its German, but I live in the Netherlands and can get it through: www.caviaflat.nl

Only just tried these pellets and both my piggies seem to like it. Not looked around yet to see where I can get it besides that one site.

I was using Versele Laga Cavia Complete, but that has a lot less vitamin C in it, and they recently changed from small bags to only big bags at the only pet store I could get it at, and with that little vitamin C, it will all be gone by the time I reach the end of the bag.

What I could translate

Crude protein 20,5%
Crude fat 3%
Crude Ash 8,3%
Crude Fibre 14%
Calcium 1%
Phosphorus 0,5%
Natrium 0,3%
Vitamin A 16.500
Vitamin D3 800
Vitamin E 40 mg
Vitamin C 4000 mg
Copper 12 mg

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:24 am

It helps to see the actual ingredients.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:27 pm

here's the official site for union, scroll down to Cavia Korn

http://www.union-mischfutter.de/content/heimtier.htm

My german isnt good enough to translate the ingredients:

Luz.- Grünmehl; Sojaextraktionsschrot, dampf-erh.; Weizengrießkleie, Weizen, geschr.; Maiskleberfutter; Zuckerrübenmelasse; Leinkuchen; Mineral-, Vitamin- und Zusatzstoffvormischung; Dicalciumphosphat aus anorganischen Verbindungen; Pflanzenfett; Natriumchlorid

Queenitsa

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:32 pm

I've been feeding my little ones Bunny Nature Basic since they were 2 months old, but I'm thinking of switching to either Oxbow or KMS Hayloft. Do you think they're worth it?

Here's the analysis for Bunny Nature Basic:

Ingredients

Growth of permanent grassland*, oat peel bran, sunflower ex- traction meal, linseed extract, carrot pomace, whole plant corn, rape seed extracted, brewer's grains, brewer's yeast, amaranth, quinoa, chokeberry pomace, camomile blossoms, peppermint leaves, maca root, sage leaves

*original plants from natural meadows: timothy, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, German ryegrass, red fescue, blue grass, cocks-
foot, velvet grass, annual panicle grass, white ragweed, vernal grass, couch grass, tussock grass, red canary grass, white clover, red clover, dandelion, yarrow, ribwort, caraway, cow parsley, meadow sweet, common hornwort, bedstraw, thyme-leaved speedwell, bush vetch, comfrey, bedstraw-meadow thistle, ground ivy, daisies, germander speedwell, lady's mantle, greater burnet-saxifrage, narrow-leaved vetch, meadow saxifrage, spring cinquefoil, green field-speedwell, common whitlow-grass, autumn dandelion, red ragweed, cowslip, small clover

Raw protein 13 % • raw oils and raw fats 2.5 % • raw fibres 21% • starch 6 % • raw ash 8.5 % • calcium 0.6 % • phosphorous 0.4 %

Additives per kg

Nutritional additives
Vit. A 10.000 IU · Vit. D3 700 IU · Vit. E as alpha-tocopheryl ace-
tate 60 mg · Vit. C as ascorbylmonophosphate, calcium-sodium-
salt 600 mg · copper as copper (II)-sulphate-pentahydrate 10 mg · iodine as calcium iodate-hexahydrate 0.9 mg · iron as iron (II)-sulphate monohydrate 50 mg · zinc as zinc oxide 60 mg · manganese as manganese (II)-oxide 40 mg · cobalt as cobalt base (II)-carbonate, monohydrate 0.4 mg · selenite as sodium selenite 0.18 mg

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't know the amount of each item. I think some items are added in tiny quantities to make it sound like a good product but I don't really know if it is. Does not seem to be grain heavy, which is good. With the addition of items like clover, the calcium percentage may be higher. It is encouraging to see that calcium has not been added through additives (if I am reading right).

38 posts