UK Supplies and Sources Info

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed May 09, 2007 3:09 pm

This is an update to the UK Sources and Suppliers thread started here by aj_trouble and other UK members.

I've pulled together the main websites that provide a variety of supplies with a brief introductory list of items they stock.

Other Health Care items and websites stocking medical supplies will be found on the UK Veterinary Info thread. Remember you will still need a prescription from your vet if ordering any medications marked POM.

The following websites also help guinea pig rescues with fundraising:

Hay, Accessories, Gifts and Health Care
http://thistlecavies.tripod.com/shop/
100% of profits go to the care of the guinea pigs at Thistle Cavies Rescue, Rehoming and Sanctuary.

Hay, Food, Bedding, Toys, Accessories and Health Care
www.sphsupplies.co.uk/
Donations and a percentage of the order goes to Reading Guinea Pig Rescue.

Toys and Accessories
www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents
Discount with fundraising for Sprowston Guinea Pig Rescue when using the coupon code ZOOPLUS-FEB5219

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed May 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Oxbow products and various other items are available on the following websites:

Hay, Food, Bedding, Toys, Accessories, Gifts and Health Care
www.bunnybazaar.co.uk

Hay, Food, Bedding, Toys and Accessories
http://www.penstone-petstore.co.uk/acatalog/

Hay, Food, Bedding
www.petlifeonline.co.uk/

Hay and Bedding
http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/products.htm#Hutch%20Hemp

Hay and Naural Toys
www.westwaleswillows.co.uk

Hay
http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/

Toys and Accessories
http://www.chinchillacymru.co.uk/nibbleshousing.htm

Gifts
www.winking-cavy.co.uk

Guinea Pig Skincare Products
www.gorgeousguineas.com

UK Distributor and Additional Stockists of Oxbow Products available here.

Since prices tend to change, these have not been listed for individual items. You may still have to shop around between sites so happy browsing!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Suppliers of Grids for C&C Cages.

Robert May Shopfitters, for the moment seems, to be the only consistent supplier of grids for C&C cages in the UK.

The website is www.robertmay.co.uk – the grids cost £22 +vat plus delivery so is not cheap.

Milly states the pack contains 17 chrome grids and 22 connectors. Minimum order of £25, otherwise you have to pick them up from the shop in Holloway. The grids are 14" with squares of 1.5".

2 packs cost £62.28 including vat and delivery.

Grids have also been available at some point from the following places, so keep your eyes peeled as hopefully they may get them in again at some point in the future.

Poundstretcher - called house & home organiser cubes
Argos
B&Q
Costco
Homebase
Kleeneze catalogue (more flimsy version)
monarchdirect.co.uk
Selly Oak, Birmingham at Pets Plus
Also you can sometimes find them on www.ebay.co.uk

Milly also found grids at Screwfix which has grids with fine silver mesh rather than the 1 1/2" squares that Robert May sell. They are £18.99 for 4 cubes (which I think works out as 16 panels). Delivery is £5.95 or free for orders over £45.00

The catalogue number for them is 43900-85 with a link here.

Alternatively you may be able to make something creative using the pens available from www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents or www.bunnybazaar.co.uk

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:13 pm

A more specific link to getting Coroplast/Correx on eBay UK through CPS Supplies eBay shop. Various sizes and colours.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:18 pm

More fine mesh cube options from Eden Shop Equipment.

The larger grids from Robert May.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:12 pm

Just an update from Josephine's thread:

Hay, Natural Toys and Gifts
www.pamperedpiggies.co.uk

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:45 pm

The cheapest place to get Correx/Coroplast is from the signmakers Signs Express if there is a branch near you.

I got 4' x 3' 3" sheets (1000mm x 1230mm) of 4mm (any colour) for less than £3 each. I had to order it but it only took 2 days. You can get different sizes up to 8' x 4' but that tends to be the thicker Correx.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:37 pm

If anyone hasn't already heard of Megazorb bedding as an alternative to shavings, hay or fabric then this is it - with a poop comparison for sizing!

Megazorb is a horse bedding made from virgin wood pulp and soft to the touch. It doesn't smell, is not dusty, is lightweight, has excellent absorbency and the piggies seem to like it better than other beddings I've tried. They don't shove it out of the way but can move it about to get comfortable.
So far this is the best alternative bedding I've come across and more piggy friendly than shavings, Aubiose (another horse bedding), CareFresh or Supreme's Russell Rabbit Bedding, all which I've also tried out at one time or another. It's also safe and doesn't swell if eaten and is fully biodegradable.

They come in fairly large bags which may put some people off but are not excessively heavy and it means it lasts longer. Delivery may be an issue but many websites such as www.pamperedpiggies.co.uk www.bunnymail.co.uk and www.thehayexperts.co.uk also stock it so delivery can be with other items.

A full list of stockists throughout the UK can be found here.

If you are lucky enough to live in Scotland near a Davidsons Chemist, they can stock it for you as they also have a veterinary division so if you order through the vet supplies the delivery will be free to the shop.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 pm

Webs, this looks similar to what I use. I get Morrisson's paper based cat litter. Maybe I have a finer texture, but its nice. I only use it in the litter trays, though.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Safeco grids are now available with the cheapest cost being from here at buy-stationery.co.uk costing £34.85. This price includes VAT and FREE DELIVERY.

20 grids with connectors in the standard 14" x 14" format.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Cube grids are also available in the UK here at Display Sense though not perhaps the cheapest and prices do not include VAT. They do however, offer a more custom range of cubes per pack and offer the individual components for sale too.

Delivery is free over £150 (ouch!) or £7.95 + VAT see delivery info for UK, Ireland and Europe. Display Sense has Irish and EU sites too.

From single grids up to a 53 grid pack!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Have recently discovered that Costco have these exact grids in stock for £10.87 (can't remember if that includes th VAT, if not it's still only around £12).

Sadly I bought mine from Amazon 3 weeks earlier!

Kingsd316

Post   » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:42 am

Hi Webs,

Which costco was this?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:59 am

It was Costco Aberdeen but as a group they tend to get specific items round to most of them all at some point. If you haven't got any in one near you, they should be able to order it from another store.

lilbitorange

Post   » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Do you need to be a member/own a business to go to a costco? Or can you just walk in?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:46 am

You need to join, individual membership is £20 a year approx if I remember correctly, trade membership is £50 for 6 names. Or if you know someone who is a member that helps too!

lilbitorange

Post   » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:32 am

Thanks!

liland

Post   » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:55 am

Is anyone buying from Costco? I'm in Brighton and cant find any stores remotely close to me.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:53 am

Over here, some people say this is a great site to order hay from:

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Raz

Post   » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am

Hi

Am a long time lurker, but this is my first post, will do proper introductions later. This is maybe of interest to East Midlands piggie owners, but I've been using Megazorb for my two girls, and was surprised to find it being sold at Downtown in Grantham a few weeks ago. They're not listed on the main suppliers page for Megazorb.

31 posts