Chewing metal bars

MrJoecat

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:56 am

My pig has only recently - just in the last day - taken to chewing the metal bars of her cage, even though she never showed interest in them before. She has other chew toys in her cage. Is this anything to worry about? I've heard that their teeth can get broken. Is this likely? And how would you get them to stop? Thanks for any help!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:01 am

How old is she, how long have you had her?

It's usually boredom or seeking attention that makes them chew the bars - she wants OUT! What size is your cage, she's likely to be happier with a buddy to keep her company.

Edit to say if she's showing other symptoms of illness it can sometimes mean she's in discomfort.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:27 am

Edit to say if she's showing other symptoms of illness it can sometimes mean she's in discomfort.
My Sophie was doing that and turned out she had a bladder stone. I would pay attention to her when she goes to the bathroom. See if she whimpers or has a wet bottom.

MrJoecat

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:50 am

Shes's about 2 years old, we've had her maybe 2 months. I doubt if she wants out, she's very skittish and always wants back in. The cage is one of the largest they sell, so there's no worry about space. I noticed she seemed to start to do it when she finishes her treats and wants more, only you can't let her eat all day long. I just didn't know if it was a urge to gnaw like with hamsters. etc, and she decided the cage was best, or if it is likely to hurt her teeth.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:02 am

"The cage is one of the largest they sell, so there's no worry about space."

Have you seen http://www.cavycages.com yet?

Does she have a constant supply of hay available?

pinta

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:43 pm

Does she have a friend? Sounds like a typical method of communication to a human. She could be doing it to get your attention.

If she's an only pig she may be bored.

Moodhart

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:54 pm

In relation to what others have brushed upon, one of mine chewed his bars since the day I got him, and the day he got a cage mate he stopped. He does chew occasionally, but it is out of frustration because he wants to go "next door" to the other boar cage (he can see them).