Ruby's spay - have some questions

Tim + Angie

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Ruby had her spay done today to remove ovarian and uterine cysts. The ovarian cysts were the size of small potatoes. They weighed a total of 300 grams.

I've read the surgery, post-op, and handfeeding pages. As well as some of the spay threads, but I have some questions that I couldn't find a definitive answer for.

We got her home at 5:30 and gave her 6cc of Critical Care (mixed with Pedialyte), and 6cc of Pedialyte. I'll be handfeeding her about every 2-3 hours around the clock. She's not eating on her own at all right now.

How much Pedialyte should I give her? Should I use it in place of water? Or, in addition to water?

We were given Metacam oral 10ML (that's what the label says, should it be 10mg?). It's divided into 5 syringes pre-filled at 0.1ML each. The vet said to give once a day for 5 days. Can I go ahead and give her a dose tonight if she seems to be pain, or should I wait until tomorrow? I sure don't want her to suffer any more than she has to. She's been through enough today (if you would have seen the size of those cysts, you would agree).

She's resting in her cuddle cup right now. She's in a 1 x 2 grid area within the 5 x 2 that she shares with her daughter. She's on white fleece over white towels and has some pellets, a water bottle, and a small pile of hay in with her. I'll keep offering her fresh veggies, but so far she's only made a small attempt to nibble some endive out of my hand.

I'd appreciate any help to get her through this and back on her feet. It's been a long, emotional day of worry and my brain is too fried right now to keep searching for these answers.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 pm

Was she given a pain shot? Ask when that will wear off in order to give the metacam. Pain control will be most important. It's not unusual not to eat right away.

That is a good sign to eat a little endive out of your hand. I would let her be until tomorrow. 6cc's of fluids and cc is not that much so that is okay but I would not overload her system with fluids and such right after surgery. I've always given them a day to just be left alone and watched them. If you had subcue equipment, I would do a small one and a little feeding (like you did) but she'll get liquids from the cc if you want to feed her.

You've blocked off her area and she can see and smell her daughter to that will help with recovery. I have also used a heating pad (the kind that heat for a few hours automatically when you open them) under a towel on one side of the cage. If she wants warmth she can use it. Sounds like everything went well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Give her as much Pedialyte as she will take. You can offer her water through a syringe, but most pigs prefer the taste of the Pedialyte. Try offering her water and if she refuses it, offering her straight Pedialyte. As she improves, you can either mix the two, with a decreasing concentration of Pedialyte in the mix, or offer both.

I would not attempt to forcefeed fluids if she's not drinking at all. If she gets to the point where you feel she badly needs more fluid than she's taking in, consider a subcue.

Call the vet and find out the exact concentration of the Metacam you have received. Standard suspensions sold by the manufacturer come in 1.5 mg/mL and 0.5 mg/mL. If you have either of those, your prescription for analgesia is woefully inadequate, especially for surgery this invasive and this major.

If you have a 10 mg/mL suspension, if it were me I would give her half of one of them (0.05 mL, for a dose of 0.5 mg meloxicam) and the other half in 12 hours. Metacam in my experience works best when dosed twice a day.

What did they give her for post-op pain relief? If you don't know offhand, it'll be on the bill. (Edit: ditto what HollyT said about all of this.)

The 1x2 inside 5x2 sounds like a perfect setup.

Tim + Angie

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:35 pm

Talishan-
She didn't say anything about post-op pain medication and there is nothing listed on the bill for it.

I don't have sub-cue equipment so I have to rely on syringing fluids into her. She hasn't urinated since she got home at 5:30.

HollyT-
It's ok for them not to eat? She hadn't eaten since 5:30am, that's why I was worried about her not having any food in her.

Tim + Angie

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:56 pm

The last time we took her out, she did a strange jerky/vibrating kind of thing for a couple of seconds. Does this sound normal?

Her eyes look better than they did when we got her home. They were very dull and listless. Now they look bright and open again after she had her feeding.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:21 pm

The jerking does not sound normal but if it is not repeated I don't know if you have to worry about it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 pm

I suspect the jerking/vibrating is evidence of extreme pain.

This is the equivalent of a human female having a complete ovariohysterectomy, being awakened from anasthesia after successful surgery, being given nothing for pain, and sent home that same day with a couple of Tylenol.

How might you feel?

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:53 pm

I wish the best for her. Poor girl, her cysts were huge.

I am curious - how old is Ruby? I'm wondering because my sow is over 5 and has cysts also, but I'm afraid of surgery. Right now her vet says to keep an eye on it with regular checkups.

Wishing you all the best for your girl's recovery.

Tim + Angie

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Talishan-
I know how I would feel. I had a total hysterectomy and it hurt like hell even with morphine!

She's comfortable right now, which surprises me. I'm keeping an eye on her to give her a half dose of Metacam if she starts looking like she's in pain.

amy-
Ruby is about 19 months old. Another vet had tried the hcg injections, but they really didn't help much after the first one.

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:21 pm

Thank you - I'm also wondering about injections. I'm planning another checkup soon as she's lost most of her hair on one side.

Glad to hear Ruby's comfortable! She is in good hands.

Tim + Angie

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:28 pm

Thank you for the compliment, but it sure doesn't seem like it. I feel like a total ignoramus when I have an ailing little piggy that depends on me to make them better.

We were trying to find a vet that would use GnRh or Lupron, but the cysts were so large that spaying was really the only option we had left.

Ruby's poos were getting very small, so we knew she wasn't able to get enough food in her because of the cysts pressing on her stomach and other organs. We just didn't have the time to be able to wait while experimenting with other hormones.

I've heard really good things about both of those, though.

Tim + Angie

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:06 am

I just gave Ruby some Metacam. I went ahead and gave her the full 0.01cc dose. She was wiggling around and and looking uncomforable.

She's resting again, so I'll keep checking her throughout the night.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions before she's on her feet again!