Is he happy?

daisy

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:23 am

I am a new piggy owner who has fallen in love with her male piggy Oscar who is 3 months old. I have had him for one week and I have noticed that while we are sat together as well as his deep purring noise, he has starting doing the squeek, but so quietly you can only just hear him. He also also started to lick my hands every time we cosy up with a run of his teeth along the skin (not biting or nibbling). With us being a new couple I am not sure whether I am irritating him by stroking him or whether he is happy. Can anyone help? I dont want an unhappy piggy.

SandraVE

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:08 pm

Sounds like he's one happy pig. I think the real soft squeek that you can hardly hear is a good sound. I feel that Licking is also good, and only once in a while will my pigs do that. I notice when I have a sick pig, after syringe feeding it for many days, they will often give me a lick after feeding. I like to think they are saying "thanks for taking good care of me".

aj_trouble
Gave a Guinea!!

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:25 pm

I have set up a website of Guinea Pig body language for new owners, which might help..

www.guineapigdictionary.co.uk

daisy

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:35 am

Thats great. He has some odd little habits, which I now know to be normal! I am pleased that he is running the course of a normal young male.

Becky

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:55 am

Do a search on mites. There's always the possibility that he is feeling uncomfortable.

It's not unusual for new pigs, particularly if they're from a pet store, to have a flare-up of mites.

daisy

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:18 am

This will sound like a daft question I know, but I have read all the books and all the sites on the net, but with regard to mites as I dont know what they look like I am not sure what or where I am looking for them. I would hate for him to be uncomfortable.

Does anyone have a link where I can see them?

Also, can a piggy eat too many carrots?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:05 am

you cannot see mites, have a look here for more info: https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#mangemite

SandraVE

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:25 am

Yes, too many carrots are not good. You can feed one or 2 baby carrots every other day. Give Oscar a variety of veggies, but introduce new veggies one at a time to see how his digestive system does with them. Green leafy veggies such as Romaine, red/yellow peppers, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, apples are some of the things my pigs enjoy. Pigs develop their likes and dislikes early in life so give a wide variety.

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

This is a great link for additional information on their care. Additional information can be found by clicking on the button that says "Guinealyx" at the top right of this page. There is lots of information there.

SandraVE

Post   » Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:44 am

Here's a more comprehensive list of fruits and veggies that are appropriate for guinea pigs. Each pig will have his preferences, so try different ones.

Apples, Green Beans, Blueberries, Broccoli/leaves, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Swiss Chard, Cucumbers, Dandelion Greens, Endive, Kale, Parsley, Sweet Peppers (Red/Yellow), Spinach, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Romaine, Red/Green Leaf Lettuce

DO NOT give them the following veggies: Iceberg (head) lettuce, NO DRIED BEANS, Onions, Cauliflower, Cabbage. The last 3 items cause too much gas.

There are additional fruits/veggies that others give, but the above list is a good start.

daisy

Post   » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:35 pm

I have had Oscar for a ripe old month and I feel I have never lived without him. He is so social and funny, well I could watch him all day. This week I have got him a friend a little american albino called Albert. He is beautiful. They hit it off straight away, no fighting and Oscar doing his strut for dominance, which I expected. Oscar has started to wander around him in a circle and kinda wiggle his bottom, specifically from side to side, if that makes sense. He has also tried humping the poor little thing, but Albert seems to be taking it in his stride and they generally sit cuddled side by side.

Is Oscar generally happy do you think that Albert is there. If I take Albert out for some one to one Oscar wheeks so loud I am sure my neighbours can hear it! He stalks the cage looking for him. I am sure this is a good sign and I read all this forum looking for an answer, but I still dont know. PLease help! You havent let me down before.....

Slinky

Post   » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:36 pm

Sounds to me like these two adore each other.

daisy

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:26 am

Yes, I thought that would be the case, but you never know what you miss. Albert (6 1/2 weeks)m actually fell asleep on me last night, thats the first time he has ever done that. I havent managed hand feeding yet, but he curls up in a ball and rests his weary head.

I find it hard to give them both decent one to one time, but they have a ball without me! I did manage to hold both of them at the same time the other day and I did get a bir nervous.

I always thought my gp was happy being on his own, but now I wish I had bought two in the beginning, Albert and Oscar are just the cutest, funniest, social little animals I have seen.