Discharge from a Sow - Is this a mucus plug?

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:45 pm

This came out of Dara's vagina years ago when she was a "teenager." I was holding her and noticed something down there kind of hanging out a bit. I gently pulled on it and out this thing came. It's exactly the same as your picture, Clotho, and the same thought occurred to me at the time: it looked just like a condom. It must be a mucous plug. I doubt many of us get to see them in person. They probably usually come out and get lost in the bedding.

Here are my pictures:

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 am

Twinkie and Sadie are very beautiful girls, and I hope your vet visit goes well on Saturday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:49 am

How interesting, Athena. May I add these to the thread? Assuming you are right, it might help someone else down the line.

clotho

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm

We are back from the vet. I took the mucus plug with me, and our vet did, indeed agree that it was a mucus plug. When she squished it (it was in a plastic baggie) you could see that it was mucus. Now that I know how to post pics on here, I'm going to put two pictures of the mucus plug.

Thank you Athena for posting those pictures. That is exactly like what came out of Twinkie. I think maybe this happens more than we realize, but most times no one ever sees it.

Our vet visit went very well. Both Twinkie and Sadie had a thorough check over. She palpitated, but was unable to feel any cysts.

We have been advised to keep an eye on the girls and see how things develop. If there are any more symptoms of cysts, etc, we will take them back in. We will have to wait to see if both sows continue to spot blood each time they are in heat.

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Absolutely, Lynx! This information needs to get out there. I think this is just a normal part of their maturing process and nothing to worry over. Finding one of these things can be really scary when you don't know about it, or what it looks like. I'm surprised there aren't more pictures of these things, but maybe like I said, they get lost in the bedding. I was just "lucky"? to find it where I did.

For the first time in a long time I have two young sows. Maybe I'll get "lucky" again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Cool! Clotho, can I add your pics too? I can add a link from the GL reference thread to this one, also.

clotho

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Sure Lynx you can add the pictures no problem!

Athena - I'm not so sure how "lucky" I felt when Twinkie "deposited" that mucus plug on my hand though LOL!!!

I am going to be very curious to see if both girls continue to spot blood when they go into heat.

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Clotho, You can see how "clean" Dara's was, no blood at all and she never spotted blood either. But I imagine there is a range of normal, considering where it comes from!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks! This set of pics should be very helpful to people in the future.