Building Ginny's & Sakura's Cage (with photos)

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Dasio Japan sells a long strip that is about the same height that works for the sides, bottom, and top if needed for a ramp. I think it was $3. It could also just be cut into portions to create the base as seen in the photos above. One would need to file the cut edges or cap them off with rubber end tips.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 am

I really like the mini-loft idea.
Ben seemed most fascinated by its ability hold both Sakura and Ginny's weight... :p

Do you sew the Velcro into the sherpa pockets too?
I can already see Mitzy shoving Mojo off the mini-loft already. :)

Alas, yes, DAISO has answers for everything under the sun!

BuddyMommy

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Can I come over? I think I'm small enough to fit in there! Your pigs are in piggy heaven!

New Guinea Mom
There is No Cure

Post   » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:29 pm

WOW! I'm impressed. It's beautiful. They must be in heaven.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 am

What a smart and practical cage you have for your girls, tracis!! I love it! :-D

Your girls are so lucky and happy for sure. ;-)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 am

I would love to have your cage as well but I want the pigs to be in it : )

greensgirl

Post   » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 am

Here is a link to get the grid squares and the connectors inexpensively http://www.gershelbros.com/wire_cubes.html and this site as well: http://thefixturezone.com/gridbasbas.html.

I was wondering if anyone has yet been able to find those mini grids. I really want some so that I can make a cage with a ramp for Koster!

If anyone can help that would be appreciated!

geekygirl aj

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 am

Thanks for the tip on the flannel, the fleece is very hard to clean!

Tuggell

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:57 pm

I found some mini grids on the second link greensgirl sent. They're 10x10. I don't know if that's as little as you guys were looking for. Here's where they're at http://thefixturezone.com/14x14epcowig.html

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun May 08, 2011 9:45 pm

How time flies!

Recently I've been inspired by the many wonderful cage ideas and pictures on Guinea Lynx, and so I decided to remodel Miss Sakura's cage.

Points I considered:
  • As many already know, Miss Sakura recently celebrated her 5th birthday.
  • Sakura has not been using the upper loft or mini-loft very often after Ginny's death last year. Perhaps the lofts are not necessary?
  • Sakura still enjoys playing with draped towels and fabrics. She feels most secure when part of her body is hidden.
  • If there is only one good hiding spot in the cage, she will not move around very much. She needs more than one hiding spot.
After a few tries, we've finally settled on a cage design that fits Miss Sakura and her lifestyle.

Now, Miss Sakura invites everyone to view her new cage!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun May 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Nice cage! It looks very comfy for the beautiful Sakura. So glad she approves of the colors and layout.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun May 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Very cool step by step pictures!
I love those mini grids, they make a great hay rack.