Doodle's Thread

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Please give the brave little Doodle a gentle hug from me. She's quite a girl.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Is she on heart meds?

EllieMom

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:30 am

No, Doodle doesn't seem to have any heart problems. While she's a tiny, little thing (738 grams down from 875 before her cyst was removed but up from 650 at her lowest post-op), her problems all seem to be associated with the uterine cysts and post-op complications.

Oreo, one of my other girls, just started heart meds and seems to be benefitting from them already.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:33 am

I've had some good luck with frequent saline rinses for hurt feet. I know the chlorohex can be drying for their poor little feets.

I hope she gets better and you can leave this behind soon!

pinta

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:13 pm

A light pressure bandage can help as well.

EllieMom

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Just a brief Doodle update. We went back to the vet to have her foot re-checked and to see how she's doing in general after her surgery. The foot is better, but still needs attention, especially because I found sores starting to develop on her front foot as well. So it looks like the daily Doodle spa treatments will continue for a while.

Her weight is up to 758gr, which means she's gained almost an ounce in the past week. And that's with no supplemental feedings! "Dr. Dave" told her that she's looking more like a guinea pig and less like a ferret every day.

All in all, she's coming along.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Good news. Keep doing well Doodle.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Sending more healing thoughts for Doodle. It is wonderful that she has gained some weight. :)

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:16 pm

Don't rule out heart issues. Circulation is affected by a bad heart and just like in people with bad circulation the outer extremities swell. When pigs' feet swell they usually end up with ulceration.

I can't remember if a lung xray was done to check for fluids. It might be a good idea.

In my experience, heart pigs with swollen feet have needed lasix.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Doodle has been doing so well in the past year, I was floored when the vet found a mass in her abdomen at her well pig appointment today.

He thinks it's probably a tumor on her kidney. She hasn't lost any weight and is eating and pooping fine, so he sort of ruled out intestinal issues. He mentioned it could also be adrenal or some tissue that wasn't removed during the spay but with no hormonal issues, those don't seem likely otherwise.

Keep your fingers crossed for her. She's going in to have it removed on August 3rd.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Oh man, everything crossed for Doodle!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Fingers & toes crossed.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm keeping Doodle in my thoughts, and I hope everything goes smoothly.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:54 am

Yesterday I was fine, but now I'm starting to obsess (as usual).

Any advice on how to prepare her for surgery? In the past when we faced surgery, our pigs were sick and we had to handfeed to keep their weight up. Doodle weighs about 900gr now, which is the most she's ever weighed, so I'm not sure she needs the supplemental feeding. Anything else I should be doing? Other than just making sure she's happy and gets her favorite foods and things to play with, that is.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:05 pm

I would recommend fasting for 4 to 6 hours prior to surgery. Water is fine. Since we have done this we have not had any aspiration events on the operating table. We received this advice from Dr. Legendre who was alerted to a pouch/pocket far down in the throat that collects food matter. The fasting is to make sure this pocket is cleared out. Glucose administered by the vet will compensate for any liver issues.

If Doodle is a senior pig a prevemtative dose of fortekor is helpful to reduce the stress on her heart.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:49 pm

I imagine you read gl/surgery.html and gl/postop.html ? I would supplement with vitamin C daily before the surgery.

EllieMom

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 am

I took Doodle in for her surgery this morning. They'll be performing it between 1:00 and 4:00 and have promised to get back to me asap on her condition.

She was so bright-eyed and sweet this morning. It's awful taking what looks to be a perfectly healthy animal in for major surgery.

Keep her in your thoughts.

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:11 am

Good thoughts for Doodle today.

EllieMom

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Doodle is out of surgery and doing well according to the vet's office. They said that the mass the doctor was feeling was an enlarged liver and they performed a lobectomy. We'll get a biopsy back soon.

I know other people here have had pigs with major liver problems, so any advice on post-op care would be much appreciated.

Also, should I be worried that two of my three pigs apparently have developed liver problems in the past three months? How common is that? Are we doing something to cause this?

pinta

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Are the two liver pigs related? Have you changed anything in the environment - air freshener, water source, bedding etc.? Have they been fed an excess of any particular food over their lives?

112 posts