Salt Licks?

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:47 pm

I was reading in one of my guinea pig books that salt licks are good for them. It said salt licks not mineral licks. I saw them at the store today and I got a pack but I wanted to check before I give them to him.
Any opinions?

JoePig

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Save your money, don't do it.

Neewom4

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 pm

I got a salt lick for my pigs a long time ago, and they just ignored it.

HazelNut

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:04 pm

All the piggies we ever had ignored them.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Nope, no salt licks.

JoePig

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:39 pm

(and no mineral licks either)
:-)

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:13 pm

So are they bad for them? I can't remember which book I read it in. Peter Gurney?

JoePig

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Quoting Kermie831,
Mineral wheels are like multivitamins. Vitamin A and D, and others in excess can cause kidney or liver issues/failure, In many animals (humans included!).
After doing more searches on "mineral wheels", the general consensus is that pigs already get what they need from their pellets.

Some folks wonder if giving their pigs such treats worsened health issues (heat issues, bladder stones) later in the animals life and wish they had never given their animals these items. However, I do not think there is proof that the salt or mineral licks were the direct cause; just that maybe these health issues may not have had onset so soon or so severly.
Last edited by JoePig on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm

That's why the book said to get salt licks and not mineral licks.

JoePig

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Perhaps you should consult with your vet.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I don't think they need extra salt. Just like we don't need potato chips. I would imagine it's just as bad for them as it is for us. They don't sweat, so they wouldn't be sweating away salts. Can't see any reason for it.

meggielou

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:36 pm

I also just did a very quick search and found the consensus to be that salt licks are unnecessary and even thought to contribute to kidney and liver problems.

I don't see the point if they're getting a varied diet of greens in addition to hay.

There is a lot of misinformation out there.
Last edited by meggielou on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.