Brick is over the Bridge

Acanoffleas

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 am

We lost our Bricker last night around 8:30 at the E-vet. It all happened so unbelievably fast. We had him out with us that morning, and he was his old self. I went to work, Dan fell into his weekend pattern. He left around 6 to go to church, checking in on everyone before he left - all the pigs were fine, and the cat was his usual. He got home around 8 and Brick was laying in his cozy, lethargic with severe diarrhea. He scooped him up and took him to the e-vet nearby where they did x-rays and gave him oxygen. Something had ruptured in his abdomen and there was nothing they could do but offer to humanely ease his pain. But they didn't have to. He slipped away on his own. Dan called me at work around 8 when he was at the e-vet. Then called me about 1/2 an hour later to tell me Brick didn't make it.

The only way of knowing what caused the rupture is to have a necropsy. But I don't think I can do it. It's a weekend, no one is open. Our vet doesn't offer the service for small animals (though there is another one nearby that would). I just want to put my little guy to rest. The humane league here offers cremation services, and that's what I want to do. I'm at a loss for what on earth led up to this. There were no changes AT ALL to their diets. He was eating, pooping, and running around normally up to two hours before he died. It was just...so fast. I pray to god it was something pre-existing and not something he ate, though again I have no idea what that would have been.

I'm still in shock, as is Dan. We're really going to miss you, Brick. You were our most spirited piggie. We had to separate you from everyone else because you liked to start rumbles. We nursed you back to health last winter from the "toe-biting" incident you had with Mason when we tried an introduction. You were such a trooper (and a little instigator!). I'm going to miss most your kisses and your whistling. It's already so incredibly hard seeing your cage empty - but today I'm going to clean it out fresh and move your adopted brother in so Mason, the neighbor, has someone to talk to. He misses you, too. We can definitely tell.

Rest well, baby. You were loved. Hard.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 am

What a shock. I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet face.

papiggieluverz

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:44 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 am

Oh, no... I am so sorry. He was so adorable. :-(

TexCavy

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:39 am

I'm so sad to hear you've lost him. What a beautiful pig.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:00 am

Oh, I am so very sorry, Acanoffleas. Yes, he has the sweetest face. It sounds like he will be greatly missed.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:06 am

I'm so sorry, he was a handsome piggy

Sterlings Mom

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 am

I am so sorry for your loss, Acanofleas. He sure was an adorable pig!!

critterluv02

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:18 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Let me just say that by those photos, that piggie knew he had a good life and how much he was loved. I can just see him smiling in every photo.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:37 am

I'm so sorry.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:53 am

I'm so very sorry - he was an adorable little pig.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Oh no! Not Brick! Wasn't he your first (with Mortar)? Or am I not remembering right?

I am so sorry he's gone and for the way it happened. Hugs for you and Dan.

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:52 pm

I'm so sorry. He was a handsome little bugger.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Poor little Brick.

I'm so sorry you lost him, Acanoffleas. Hugs to you and Dan.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. What a beautiful pig. What a sweet face. This is probably not relevant, but our Tildy died abruptly with no warning symptoms (turns out she had a tumor). Our new vet said some tumors grow so fast that they can't maintain blood supply to the interior of the tumor and it ruptures sending toxins all over. I know you didn't mention a tumor, but I wanted to add this on the subject of abrupt deaths.

eacostner

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Acanoffleas,
I am so sorry for your loss of Brick. I know you loved him.

This has been an incredibly hard week, hasn't it? Too many losses of our sweet little companions.

Hugs to you.

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss Acanoffleas.

Kellyjo

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Sorry for your Loss.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Oh no. Not sweet Brick. You must be shocked and devastated. Sleep well, Brick. You are loved.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:06 pm

I am so sorry that Brick is gone. He was so adorable.

God Speed little Brick. You will be missed.

37 posts