help! mom guinea pig died after birth

COCO2

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:56 pm

Hello. I really am not sure about this I hope it is right. Well we recently found out our coco was pregnant. I've read after you can tell it could be any day. So we kept an eye and ear on her.

Well last night was the worst night ever. me and my kids left in the evening to pick up there dad. any way, we got back a baby was there and hiding under the alfalfa sofa another one. My coco was there barely alive. called the emergency vet. was getting ready to head back out my husband had her in his arms the whole time and then before leaving she died.

Well the vet said the babies probably won't survive without mom. I cannot except that I kept them warm they ate but what do I do to suppliment there mothers milk?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm very sorry you lost Coco.

A few people here have successfully raised orphaned pups. Here is a link about hand feeding:
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups

emilythegreat

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm sorry that you lost the mom.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm sorry about mom. Yes, babies have been reared sucessfully. Good link above.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm so sorry you lost mom. Yes, babies have been successfully raised on critical care handfeeding formula. Whatever anybody tells you (and you will hear this), do NOT give any milk products whatsoever.

Kermie831

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm so sorry about your lost momma. Kisses to the pups.

My 3 orphans are a year and a half. They took critical care out of a kitten nurser and learned to eat veggies, hay and pellets by watching the other pigs. NO milk products. Weigh them daily to make sure they are gaining (they can drop a tiny bit the first 24 hours, just like human babes do).

Our thoughts are with you and the family.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 pm

I'm sorry. Breeding is always risky. I know you didn't unintentionally do it but it's hard on the sows.

Read the link given to you. Your vet is wrong. Many of us have raised orphans.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Oh no. God's Speed, Coco.

Keep us posted on how the babies are doing. You will get great advice here from folks who have experience.

COCO2

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:28 am

some one I know said to give them kitty milk mixed with carrot baby food, because they used it before on a Guinea pig also rabbits.

But you guys have been wonderful. so far so good. I just feel bad for my jinx he lost his partner and searches for her. even though he would have still been alone if she was alive. but we give him extra attention now.

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 am

Don't give them kitty milk at all. Use Critical Care like Kermie831 said, instead.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:56 am

I just feel bad for my jinx he lost his partner and searches for her
Unfortunately these are the dangers of intentionally breeding. The risks are high, and what you experienced is not uncommon.

If the babies survive be sure to separate any female babies from dad at 21 days to avoid another pregnancy.
some one I know said to give them kitty milk mixed with carrot baby food,
And now you know, this is dangerous advice. Do you have access to Critical Care? What have you been feeding the babies?

COCO2

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 am

The babies began eating celery, timothy hay guinea pig food right after they were born. I have also been mashing the pellets with baby food carrot. I have been using a medicine dropper for water. they are already investigating the water bottle. but should they stay with the dad? I seperated them.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:37 am

Oh wonderful. I'm glad the babies are eating. Having them caged with dad will actually help that. Piggie see, piggie do. They can stay with dad until the girls are 21 days old. Do you know how to sex them?

I would suggest getting a very small water bottle (like the 8oz ones marketed for hamsters) and hanging it very low in the cage so the babies have free access without having to wait for the medicine dropper.

Jasmaya

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I noticed that you mentioned they were eating timothy hay guinea pig food... be sure to add some alfalfa hay or alfalfa feed (like Oxbow's Cavy Performance) as it is more beneficial for the young ones. It provides additional protein, calcium and energy that growing babies need.

I am sorry to hear about Mom, but I wish you the best of luck with the babies! :)

COCO2

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:54 pm

well came and one of them has died. that onewe named onyx. It was the second born well I think it was because the first was all cleaned up. this one I had to clean.

I knew it could happen but I just didn't think it would. well thank you every one.

COCO2

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:26 pm

I left the last baby in the cage with papa jinx. He won't harm it will he? I just don't want the two alone. and can you tell me when and how I can tell if its a boy or girl. thanks again. :-)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:28 pm

You may or may not be able to tell right now. You have 3 weeks to figure it out. At that time if it is a female, it must be removed or you risk a pregnancy for this little guinea pig.

Read over gl/sexing.html and check the pics.

emilythegreat

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm sorry that you lost another one. Be sure that they are getting Alfalfa pellets and/or hay.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:34 pm

And regular hay, not just hay based pellets.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Onyx didn't make it. Baby should do well with Papa Jinx. He will teach the baby all things Cavy. Do be sure to ask for help sexing before day 21. What's this baby's name?

33 posts