Gas, how long to see improvement

Teresa

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:02 pm

Someone else´s pig in my area:

Symptoms:
Still, not eating

Took her to the vet last night, midnight.
Vet checked teeth, lungs, belly, etc.
Said it was gas, gave her some meds there.
Prescribed some children´s gas-x type stuff to get at the drug store.

IF that´s the problem, how long before improvement?

pigpal

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:16 pm

I seem to remember someone using Simethicone drops for gas. Seansfamily maybe?

Gas, or bloat? Is she pooping and did the vet tell her to hand feed?

I´ll take a look around.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:51 pm

Can´t find anything where just "gas" was treated. What were the other meds given at the vet´s office?

Did the vet mention an intestinal obstruction at all? It´s important to know whether she´s pooping and if so, what they look like.

Most everything I´ve read involving gas or bloat mentions other meds in addition to something to relieve gas. For example Reglan, to improve intestinal motility and antibiotics plus probiotics to restore the correct balance of bacteria in the gut. However, not if there is an obstruction.

Sorry to ask, but is this a vet we know to be cavy competent?
Last edited by pigpal on Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:07 pm

Dr. Sara at Adobe.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:23 pm

Ditto on the it´s imprtant to know if she is pooping.

If she has stopped eating and the vet has determined there is no blockage and she can pass poops, it is extremely important to hand feed the cavy. I would imagine you have already impressed this on the owner

pinta

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:29 pm

If the vet gave her Reglan you should see an improvement within 2 to 4 hours. This is the only treatment I know for gas. Simethicone(sp?) is a baby gas remedy. I´ve never used it but think it´s more for maintenance then immediate treatment.

This is an email exerpt from a friend who has a few pigs with med problems:

I have found what works with the g.i. track problems is a small piece of a tablet of peptic ac over the counter. This is used in place of
banamine which some vets like to use...but I have found sucess each time I used the peptic AC (on advice of one vet
who sees alot of exotics).

I am unfamiliar with this product so can´t really comment on it. Unfortunately, if a pig´s digestive system isn´t operating properly, oral meds may not be very effective.

If there is concern that there is a bacterial infection the vet may give a baytril injection. And if the pig isn´t "shocky" (pale gums) a hydration subcue treatment may be beneficial.

Did the vet do an xray?

Do a search at Cavies Galore for the thread on Scooter. Try barium and Scooter for key words. He had an obstruction and the owner posted info.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:14 pm

Thanks. I´m following up with the owner and will try to get some more info.

J-LPigcard

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:16 pm

I lost my dear pig two weeks ago due to gas. Use "bloat" as a keyword to get info from other people. It is really, really important to keep the pig hydrated while trying to address the bloating. Get unflavored Pedialyte and syringe that to the pig. Also, a glucose suspension to protect the liver from shutting down is a good idea if the pig isn´t eating. How long has the gas been going on? And please ask the vet to address the pain and discomfort of the gas, too. Vets seem to overlook pain management, but it is my feeling that if the pig is in less pain, the pig will be more willing to eat. (Just rule out intestinal blockage before forcing food.) The simethicone is to help the gas come together in larger bubbles to make it easier to pass. Has an x-ray been done?

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:50 pm

I believe this pig did not make it.

Hydration should be by subcue on pigs with Bloat.

If the pig is "shocky"(pale gums and tongue and with a low temperature), a hydration subcue treatment is not a good idea.

Bloated pigs should not be syringe fed anything, The food and liquid will only back up(risk of choking) and add to the discomfort. The bloat must be taken care of before handfeeding anything.

Reglan (metoclopramide) is the only effective treatment for Bloat I know of.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:35 pm

This pig did have an Xray when first examined, it showed no blockage, just a lot of air. The evening of the initial post, the pig was given Reglan, pain meds, an antibiotic and vitamin C.

Unfortunately, she failed to recover and died the following day at the vets. Thank you to everyone who offered information.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:19 pm

It sounds as though all that was possible to do was done.

Teresa

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 11:58 pm

Yes, thanks from me, too. I think it was too late when the problem was discovered.