I have read the various threads on mouth and lip sores and did research on the Internet also. My question is what is the best way to remove the scabs so that there is little discomfort to the pigs? Also, which of the various treatment choices seem to be more effective if more than one option is given whether it be for either fungal or bacterial causes?
The photos below are not that good but they give an idea of the problem. Angelina is the orange/white Peruvian and Daisy is the tricolor roan Aby. I will try to get better photos while I'm at the vet and use a different camera. Before photos are shown for comparison.
If it turns out to be bacterial, I imagine an antibiotic ointment or creme would be prescribed? And a fungal creme if it was fungal. However, it seems there may be a problem with them ingesting it.
Please let us know what the vets say.
Angelina's looks really awful. :(Those look pretty crusty. I've never had pigs with mouth sores like those
Heading put to the vet now since she just called (it's 8pm). I have some of the items for the various treatments depending on the origin (bacterial vs. fungal). Will let you know more when I get back.
The diagnosis was cheilitis and gingivitis around the upper canines. I did bring printed items from here and elsewhere.
My vet's take on it is that the issue is that there is a underlying problem - usually poor nutrition, not enough Vitamin C, unclean quarters, poor immune system, another ailment, etc., that can set one up for the problem presented. However, this isn't the case with these two pigs since as far as I know they are well taken care of and interacted with constantly by the mother (the pigs are hers not her kids).
The vet removed hair that was wedged between her teeth and gum along with food; her canines were a bit loose. She said that there was no white growth inside the mouth (such as a yeast infection). After the teeth cleaning most of the scab was removed from the upper lip area.
I am to clean the gingiva and lips daily with diluted Nolvasan for 7-10 days. Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) is to be applied sparingly daily for 7 days to the upper lip area. In addition, Vitamin C (liquid via a syringe) is to be given daily for 10 days and then 2 times a week. Angelina is to receive the same topical treatment: Nolvasan and Silvadene (I'll bring the meds to her tomorrow) and be checked next Saturday.
If the "hair" between the teeth or the scabs come back or the meds do not seem to cure the problem then she will be tested for candida and treated with Nystatin if necessary. She said that candida is not contagious.
Daisy's mouth cleared up rather quickly (less than a week) using diluted Nolvasan first and then Silvadene applied to the upper lip and the corners of her mouth. I also withheld all veggies and fruit for awhile (they were given a lot daily; each got at least one half of an apple per day). I don't know about Angelina though. I have a call in to her caretaker for an update but I haven't heard back yet.
Has anyone used Galen's Garden "Green Cream" for lip sores? If so, what were the results? Thanks.
The vet wants me to give her Bactrim which she was on previously; I'll ask for the dose for Metacam since she really hates having her mouth area touched and it might be quite painful. For now, I'll give her 0.1cc of the Metacam.
Yes, Lynx, I saw the page; thanks. That's how I knew that her vet misdiagnosed it and was treating the problem incorrectly. I printed it out and brought it with me to my vet appointment and asked her about Nystatin but she wanted to try the Nolvasan and treatment first. It worked very quickly for Daisy but not for Angelina.
Good thought. I have the non-petroleum version. I wonder if it would block the healing properties of the Nolvasan/Silvadene combo; the Silvadene cream is an anti fungal/antibiotic agent. I also was wondering when I saw her again (today when I picked her up) whether to not the Nolvasan was too drying for the area around her mouth.I wonder if a thin layer of vaseline or similar might protect the skin. Very thin, of course.
I was given Bedadine(spelling?) with instructions to be very careful when applying it. Tehy took a sample to test for fungal or bacterial and I still haven't heard back. On the one its really bad and threatened to block his nose at one point, the other not so much. I put some triple antibiotic on the one and his has healed quickly. I'm going to try that on the other and hope I get the same result.
To removed the scabs I usually dip a q-tip in warm water and then gently rub their noses. Both seems to enjoy it a bit and it loosens the scabs just enought that I can remove them. They boys still cry because it hurts but usually a nice peice of their favorite food helps them forget.
I've also stepped up their Vit C intake. I bought Vit C drops (the human ones whtat are only Vit C and not the pet store stuff) I calculated the math (which was the same on the site here thank goodness) and have been giving them vit C like that for a week and it seems to help. Next week they will transition back to lots of vit c heavy foods.
She's not the only one dealing with the problem.
At the moment I am giving Angelina Bactrim twice a day, Metacam once a day, liquid Vitamin C once a day, and the area around her mouth is being cleaned with diluted Nolasan followed by Silvadene cream twice a day. Last night I decided that I needed to use a restraint bag in order to try not to stress her out too much when treating her. [The photo below shows Misha in the restraint bag prior to it being secured.]