Mouth and lip sores: best way to remove scabs?

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 pm

With bite wounds I've used a q-tip dipped in saline solution to help loosen old scabs. But I don't know if that would work as well with fungal "crusties."

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:33 am

It looked like a little bit of the scabs came off today; there is deep pink in some areas. I tried to gently remove other scabs with no luck so I'll see if the Nolvasan and Silvadene soften them at all to make them easier to remove. When the vet cleaned the debris from Daisy's teeth she used diluted Nolvasan on a Q-tip under and around the roots of her upper incisors so it's possible that the area was damp for a little bit and loosened up and came off with the action of the cleaning in the mouth.

I'm thinking that the saline and also the diluted Betadine would be less drying than the Nolvasan. I have Betadine but not sure if I have any saline left.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 pm

At lunch when I came home to give Angelina her meds I noticed some black stuff on and underneath her upper incisors. I tried to get it off but it wouldn't budge (it's most likely what I've read can occur in some cases). Has anyone had experience with this and what did you do if anything to remove it?

The vet had cleaned Daisy's upper incisors but it looks a bit different (or was the start of what Angelina's is now). She used a dental pick/scaler (?) and a q-tip dipped in diluted Nolvasan to clean the debris off. I used it for a week afterward since her teeth were loose and the gums irritated from the cleaning. I'm not really sure what Angelina's is so I'll just use the q-tip dipped in diluted Nolvasan for now. She said that she would put out some Nystatin tomorrow for me to give to her orally. Unfortunately, she is going away on vacation and will not be available to see her again until March 18th.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 pm

You mean April 18?

No idea what the black stuff is.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:11 am

Yup, April 18th ... guess I want her to be seen any day soon (in March) but that won't happen.

As for the black stuff, I have read (but can't find it now) that there can be a brush-like and/or black stuff (fungal?) between the teeth with this type of problem so that may be what I am seeing. I'll try to get a photo of it tonight.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:57 am

As for the black stuff, I have read (but can't find it now) that there can be a brush-like and/or black stuff (fungal?) between the teeth with this type of problem so that may be what I am seeing. I'll try to get a photo of it tonight.

I found one reference on Eva's pages but I can't find the other one. There is less of the stuff tonight since I tried to get it off. Also, you can see that there is stuff between the teeth that was not there in the first photo. (It is also directly behind the upper incisors.) The vet did remove some stuff that was between and underneath Daisy's teeth but there may not have been any when she checked out Angelina. With Daisy, the separating caused the teeth to loosen up a bit and I had to use diluted Nolvasan to clean around the teeth and gums for about a week.

I picked up a copy of her records tonight and it indicates that a cytology of the lesions around her mouth showed no yeast or candida. However, I'll pick up the Nystatin tomorrow night and start using it. Angelina has lost some weight but she's not getting all of the veggies and the bread and her mouth area really bothers her so that might be the reason. However, her weight is still okay for her size.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 am

How about bacteria? (bacterial infection) There seem to be either several causes or several things going on at one time with cheilitis.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:05 am

How about bacteria? (bacterial infection)
That was what the vet noted in the records after she wrote that there was no yeast/candida: "possible bacteria". She's currently on Bactrim/TMS. Whatever it is it seems to be be quite painful for her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:13 pm

If you read the cheilitis page, you will have noted (I think) that someone had to lightly apply tripple antibiotic ointment (should not be ingested) to keep it at bay. May have been Josephine, maintaining at every other day that I am thinking of. I imagine direct treatment of bacteria would be much more effective than oral treatment if it is in fact bacterial in nature.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 pm

I imagine direct treatment of bacteria would be much more effective than oral treatment if it is in fact bacterial in nature.
As noted above, she has been receiving diluted Nolvasan and Silvadene cream (an antifungal and antibiotic agent) topically and Bactrim (antibiotic) orally. However, the caretaker did not do a follow-up visit as requested a couple of times and it's possible that the treatment may have stopped (it was started again when she arrived here). She gave her bread and fresh grass even though we had both indicated that she needed to not give her them during the initial treatment; not sure if either of them may have created an environment that would present the current problems. I don't give bread to my guinea pigs and I withheld veggies from Daisy during her treatment and so far she seems to be okay.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:37 am

I realized after responding to another thread that there never was a "cured" photo added to the thread. I'll put a couple here and add them to the thread so you can see that their treatment worked. It has never come back. If I were to do it again and the case was mild, I would start with Galen Garden's Green Cream (which I did use toward the end of their treatment). If that did not cure the problem then I would use the treatment that I listed.

The photos below were taken toward the end of Angelina's treatment. As you can see there is no longer any "food" or debris in between her teeth.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:17 pm

There is no listing on their site of ingredients.

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=11

What are the ingredients listed for this product? What ingredient do you think made a difference? Why did you decide use it?

That said, sometimes problems resolve on their own and what we think worked, actually had no effect.

Glad to see the pics though and happy to see it cleared up.