Malocclusion and self-trimming

Hunnie

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:31 am

Hi,

My GP is somewhere around 4 years old (rehomed so not 100% sure). We have had him for a year and over the last month or so he has begun to lose weight until he is now extremely thin. He can eat - just about but it is difficult for him.

Have read around the forum/site and I'm 99% certain that it is malocclusion as his lower incisors are extremely long and slightly-off center.

I live in deepest darkest rural france and the local vets are farm vets - they have no knowledge of small animals or rodent dentistry (speaking with other locals - the general consensus is that the vet would recommend euthanasia!).

My question is how do I trim his teeth myself? What are the absolute minimum tools I need?

I am about to order the Buccal Pad separators but there is a postal strike in the UK and the French postal system isn't fantastic and I honestly don't think that I can wait the possible week to 10 days for the tools to arrive as he has lost so much weight.

My partner is a chiropodist and has surgical grade nippers and the like - could I trim the overgrown lower incisors with the these? We also have surgical rasps etc. so I can file the teeth afterwards.

I am aware that i shouldn't trim them too short and also that the molars may be an issue but I need to act quickly.

TIA
Hunnie

tree_hugger

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:36 am

Hunnie, I don't know about trimming the teeth, but what are you doing to help him eat in the mean time?

If you can't get Oxbow Critical Care where you are, you can still make a mash out of his pellets and syringe it to him.

Cut up his veggies into small, long strips (like McDonald's fries) to make it easier for him.

Suisan

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 am

It's not a good idea to go after the incisors.

Usually malocclusion is an issue with the *molars*. When the molars go off alignment, a gap can be created at the front of the mouth. Then the incisors grow to fill in that gap. Clipping the front incisors isn't going to do anything except recreate that gap.

So you need to file the molars so there is a correct grinding surface and then address the final detail of the length of the front incisors.

I'm not sure what other advice to give you. I'm sure more experienced folks will be along soon with more ideas. However I would like to caution you against only filing the front incisors.

slfalzone

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:21 am

Wow - my advice always is find a good vet but if that is out of the question I don't even know!

I wish you the best of luck. I don't know if there is anyone here that trims their own pigs teeth but hang around and others will come and offer advice.
Definitely you will need to hand feed if your piggy can't eat by himself while you research how best to help him. Please read the hand feeding links:

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 am

Ditto to what the others have said: Start hand feeding at once. Use pellet mash now, and try to find a supplier of Critical Care for later, but don't wait for the CC to arrive. It is very important that the pig gets food moving through his system, and pellet mash is far better than nothing, and will definitely do if you don't have other options.

Use a sieve to get out larger lumps in the mash if thy clog the syringe, and feed it through a 1 ml syringe where the tip has been removed (the pigs nail clipper is good to take of the tip with).

It is all explained in slfalzone's link. But again: It is vital that you start to feed your pig at once, and continue to do so for 5 - 6 times a day until you can find a way to solve the underlying problem.

If you are handy and very careful I guess it is possible to fix the pigs teeth yourself, but you will need some equipment.

There might be other places to get buccal pad separators from than the UK. Here is a link to one in Canada: http://www.im3vet.com/. They have kits with complete equipment for rabbits and rodents. Go to the link "Dental hand instruments", then "2. Rabbit and Rodent Hand Instruments" and then "Complete Rabbit and Rodent Dental Kit Instrument" where there is a picture of the kit. As you can see they use the term "Cheek Dilator". You will also need a mouth gag and a bur, or similar.

Try a google search with different terms, and I am pretty sure you can find a dealer in France. Good luck!

Hunnie

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

We have made a mash from the feed and he has taken a fair bit from the syringe but he is also eating it from a dish. I will also mandolin some apple and cucumber for him.

I will try and get some pictures of his incisors to see if any the knowledgeable folks here can confirm my home diagnosis. I am unable to get a look at his molars at the moment.

I am getting in contact with a large veterinary practice in the departmental capital that are more likely to have some experience of small animals and possibly rodent dentistry.

He currently weighs 15 5/8 oz (which is about 462 grams) - so he is very underweight :( but he is at least eating now.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:11 am

I agree...he may really have a problem with molars and not incisors.

Also, look up Pinta's chin sling info.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Note the gauze looped around the incisors to hold the mouth open. With a cooperative pig (not frightened and squirmy) you might be able to have someone help you and use the handle of a smooth eating utensile (spoon) to push aside the cheek pads so you can see the molars. If you have a camera, be ready to take pics. It is often very helpful to you to see things later because you can't spend much time looking at a struggling pig. You can also post them here.

https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion_pics.html

egustavson

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:37 pm

I don't have anything to add except to echo the advice about handfeeding. Your little pig needs nourishment.

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm not super experienced but I wanted to chime in to investigate the cause of why his teeth are malocclused. Sometimes it is genetic, but for post-teeth trim purposes, does he have access to unlimited hay to chew to grind down his teeth? Could another underlying condition be causing him to eat less, resulting in teeth growing out? etc?

Good luck with the handfeeding. Remain determined!

Hunnie

Post   » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:06 am

Good news is that he is eating the mash by himself and that the vets in the departmental capital can carry out the tooth clipping (and molar grinding if necessary) and he is booked in for treatment on Tuesday morning.

So that gives us a few days for some weight gain before he goes under anaesthetic.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:45 am

Often the cause can be lack of good hay, but some pigs get it anyway. Steve and Gus both have hay daily, but they were both diagnosed with bad teeth. Sometimes bad teeth can go hand in hand with heart problems or other issues. Steve ultimately died of renal failure. Gus was given the all clear with his heart, but it was a consideration.

With handfeeding, remember both the mash and water.