Chirping Sound Clip

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:16 am

Every once and a while someone refers to a cavy "chirping". It is hard to know what it means and may have different meanings at different times. For the record, The times when Nina chirped, there was a trigger (she was startled). To hear the chirping sound clip, try:

http://personal.cfw.com/~lynx/guinealyn ... irping.mp3

Snickerz200 Yes, that sounded like what Bianca did when she was a week away from delivering.. I have never heard her do it before. Or, any of my other pigs for that matter...

Seansfamily Cool clip!

I can say without a doubt that my pigs have never done that.

Thanks for posting the sound of Nina´s chirping. Now if I ever do hear my pigs chirping, I won´t be scared that they are having trouble breathing or something...

GP Lover Hey that´s the sound! That´s exactly what Elsie sounds like!

mon None of mine have EVER done that!!! It doesn´t even sound like a piggie! So what does that noise mean??

Lynx I think it means different things to different piggies. By the way, Nina chirped tonight, too. It was not in response to being startled, just for the heck of it, I suspect. The fact that I played the clip a couple times earlier may also have had something to do with it.

mmeadow I put it on repeat play and my pigs loved it. Dot (the scaredy-pig) stayed calmly in my lap even after the veggie bribes were gone. Maybe too calm...she forgot to request a potty break and soaked me.

imanut4u Just played this for my girls -- everyone stood and listened except for Mimi -- she raced around the cage trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. Incidentally, she & Chili are the only ones I´ve know to chirp.

Great clip Lynx

lisam That is pretty much how Padme sounded, except hers were farther spaced chirps.

When I just played it, all the pigs froze, and the budgies started singing.

ladyveg Yep, that´s it! It seems so much more piercing in person though. Incidentally, I have another rescue in now that does it. Just don´t know who, but I suspect one of the three babies. When I played this, the three rescue boars in Bachelor Row came to the side of their pen by the computer and sat and listened very attentively.

Lynx I was able to get hold of Nurgle´s address (I have been juggling several email accounts and had trouble finding it). She wrote me once so (if I actually got the correct one), she ought to be able to find her way here. Looks like nobody else will though.

Ladyveg, if you want it more piercing, turn up the volume and maximize the high frequencies. That oughta knock the socks off those boars.

taterbug That is the same exact sound Grace has made twice now. Glad to hear it is now available to the general public to enjoy.
I don´t know if Grace was startled into making the noise the first time. It was dark and I was in the bedroom, the second time she did it I was sitting on the couch, and it was quiet except for her and the TV.

Lynx I wish I had a better set-up for taping sounds. One of my favorites is the pocketa-pocketa noise they make when they walk around (that squeaky wheel kinda noise). And I have always wanted to see a little movie of some male piggy swaying his hips (rumblestrutting). So there is new ground to break. If I get any behavioral sound bites or small movie clips, maybe I could add them to Guinea Lynx for reference.

purrie That´s exactly how Lily and Daisy sound. They all were listening carefully when I played it. It was funny to see them all come to attention!

Hedra My piggies used to make that noise just after I lost my bird. (I kept thinking it was him and the first few times I thought he had come home) but they only did it when I was in the other room and after a month they stopped and I haven´t heard them do it since. I thought maybe I imagined it but that clip sound like them.

When I played it just now they didn´t respond at all.

NurgleTWH Found my way here, Thanks Lynx! :)

And that is the sound, it is not easily forgotten. Even if it has been eight years, that clip brought back memories... *sigh* I miss those piggies!

cmtigger Yep, that is what I heard. I still am not sure who it was. When I just played it- all of the pigs in the room perked up and sat still listening.

Lynx Nurgle, you miss those piggies? I thought you had some, right? Or is it piggies from long ago?

Evangeline The only pig I was able to observe doing this is Maggie. I call her my psycho pig because she is very nervous. However, when she chirps, it´s just like she is under hypnosis. She doesn´t move at all, even if I get close. Normally, she´d be running around the cage and freaked out of her little mind, but she doesn´t seem to notice I´m there.

Unfortunately for me, her favorite time to do this seems to be between 4 and 5 am...

Pinta While I was stocking the condo with food last night, Quinn was working up a chirp. Couldn´t care less that I was there. I´ve also watched Soot teach herself to do it. Breathy at first, slowly turning into notes as she cranks up the volume.

Ours don´t care if there´s an audience and more than once I´ve had to yell at them to shut up.

The other pigs generally just look bored while they´re being serenaded.

Only once could I connect chirping to an event. The cat brought in newly hatched baby birds(found the nest) and proceeded to have his way with them in front of the pig condo in the wee hours. There was a lot of yelling, cursing and activity from the humans which was not standard for that hour. After it was sorted out and we went to bed, the chirping started up.

The rest of the time they seem to chirp just for the heck of it.

pigpal Alas, William has only chirped once. I have no clue what started it or what it meant, but it´s definitely the same sound as you recorded. Thanks Lynx!

Sonia I have never heard anything like it...well I have...it sounds almost identical to one of my female cockatiels, when she´s posturing and calling for a mate !!!

Does anyone know what it means ??? Is it a warning, or a pleasure thing ??? I would love to hear my lot do that, but not if it is going to distress them ( although it doesn´t seem like it does from what everyone is saying ! ). So what does it mean ? Any clues ???

Lynx From everything that has been said, it shows up under different circumstances and means different things. I did initially say that Nina was startled into chirping. But yesterday when she started chirping it seemed to be for no reason at all (I had been playing the clip -- maybe it gave her ideas). Who knows what goes on in those furry brains? Given that they mainly eat and sleep, they must have decided this would improve their lot in life by adding some mystery.

I am my pigs mom Out pigs have never made that noise, interesting clip to listen to Lynx, thanks. I thought our girls might enjoy hearing another piggie, but they were rather indifferent. Piggie "growled" a couple of times, and Sissy just sat still on my lap. See if I go out of my way to entertain them any more! (like I´ll follow through with that threat...)

RavenShade That´s what I heard from Max, only a lower pitch. Sounded to me like a ceiling fan with a wobbly blade, but it´s comforting to know that I was right. If you lowered the pitch on that clip, and made it a little more whispery, it would be what I heard. Very weird.

NurgleTWH Lynx--the piggies that chirped were my girls from college. Serenaded me through my thesis with their wheeks for food in the form of apples & carrots. Alfred, Snowball, and Rocky! And yes, Alfred was a girl.

I have three boys now, who have distinct personalities all their own, but I have yet to hear them chirp. One of them is so scared of people I rarely see him except when I put out hay, Streak is starting to realize that if I walk by their cage it is not the end of the world, and Stanley is just a big beggar. Timing such that it was, I ended up with new guinea pigs and a new baby about the same time, so I do my best to provide them the best in housing, as my attention to them is probably not what it should be. But I adore them!

Shani77 I just recently got a new Cavy which I named Domino. I got her on Tuesday. The first day she was pretty scared I guess and on Wednesday she started to make purring sounds when I pet her sometimes. Well I read somewhere that that is an annoyed sound and every one else so far says it is a content sound. Now it is Friday and she still purrs when I pet her or when I reach for her sometimes she will try to get away. Yesterday she started to chatter, it kinda sounds like soft bird chirps or something, but it is not like the Nina chirps it like chattering and chirping. She will make this chattering sound and run around in her cage or when I have her laying on my chest sometime. What does this mean?? It feels a little too soon for her to be happy or content being that she was just introduced into this new environment.

cavytopia Cool clip! I will have to play it for my boys, Squeaky and Tiny. :)

lisam I am one who thinks the purring is an annoyed sound, and the chattering is a mad sound. When mine are content, they make little "squeak" sounds, not the loud wheeks they make for food.

cavytopia

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:12 pm

It was interesting to hear this clip again since when I first heard it I had just gotten my piggies. Still, I haven´t heard them chirp. Most commonly I hear:

the teeth chattering (between 2 boars, of course, in their strive for dominance - LOL)

the loud wheeking (it didn´t take long to recognize this as "Gimme food! Now!")

the purring -- only by Squeaky who is far more comfortable with us than the timid Tiny. When we stroke him under the chin, he purrs. According to Dick King-Smith (in I Love Guinea Pigs - yes, it´s a children´s book ::grin:: ) a purr is a sound made when one guinea pig tells another "I love you" but I think that they use it for us humans too :)
Last edited by cavytopia on Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:25 pm

I don´t think I have ever heard a purr. Maybe one day. It was difficult getting my tape changed into a file I could stick up on the web. I wish we had a nice collection of sounds to offer the web cruising public.

cavytopia

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:29 pm

Trying this nifty quick reply box again...

If I ever get computer literate enough to figure out how to put sounds on the web, I´ll be happy to offer a clip of Squeaky´s purr.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:59 pm

That´s exactly how Pinkee sounds when she makes her chirping sound.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:53 pm

When my guy wants food, he wheeks loudly, but I call it screaming.
As for that chirping....I can´t recall him ever doing that.
He´s always making some low squeak when he´s going around, and he purrs when I stroke him or scratch him, sometimes he purrs so long that you can tell his throat´s getting dry, then he coughs like he´s got emphysema. It´s scary, but not overly.

Never heard a chirp like that. What´s that supposed to mean, anyway?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 12:03 pm

TTT re: Tubbit´s singing debut

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 12:12 pm

Thank you RS... that´s it! Tubbit´s song was louder and faster, but that is it! I thought I had heard it before, but now I know I hadn´t until last night.

Laura823

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 12:22 pm

Wow, I always heard everyone talking about this chirping as if it was a rare event, and I assumed my pigs had never done it or I would have noticed. Now that I listen to the sound clip...Mitzi does that all the time! She has ever since I got her. Hers are a little softer and "breathier" like pinta says, but the same basic sound. She doesn´t seem scared when she does it. She usually does it when she´s near me, especially if she´s gone off exploring a bit and then comes back to me. She sort of sniffs me and kisses me at the same time, sometimes. Is this something different or would that also be called "chirping", I wonder?

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 12:28 pm

Hey, I remember this thread... ;)

And we were finally graced with chirping from my boys. Stanley was up to it the other night a couple weeks ago. Sitting in the hay rack, totally oblivious to the world. First couple of times were in the middle of the night, and then a couple of times during the day, and I haven´t heard it again since. Not that it has been that long, just a few weeks, but it was very interesting.

:)

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 2:02 pm

I´ve still never heard any of my girls chirp. Guess I should be glad?! lol

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 6:02 pm

My girls (mentioned in the original post of the thread) always chose to chirp at 2 am. Very loudly. Very VERY loudly.

LoL, it is an adorable trait the first few times, after that... well.. 2 am????