Storing Ringers

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:36 am

I have searched and searched but can't find what I'm looking for. How do you all store your Ringers?

I was talking with Dr. Morrissey yesterday and he recommended that I put the bag in the fridge, so it would last longer.

I typically go through bags (500 ml) pretty quick but I just got a 1000 ml bag and won't be able to go through it as quickly.

I use a new needle for drawing the fluids up each time, then switch to a butterfly. But I'm understanding that even then, the fluids can be exposed to bacteria. Maybe that's wrong though.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 pm

This page says to store it at room temp out of sun light.

Bacteria wise, the lower the temp, the less bacteria can thrive. In the fridge would be good, but to use, draw out what you'd need about a hour before use to get to room temp.

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:11 am

Our un opened bags are in the bottom drawer of our stack (black fabric) and closest to the air conditioning vent.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:23 am

My vet told me to store it in the fridge once I had started using it.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 am

What are ringers?

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:52 am

The solution that is used to give subq fluids.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 am

Oops, I should have been more clear. He told me to store it in the fridge after opening it.

Do you know how long it lasts after being opened, Feylin?

I have my unopened bags in the bottom of my med cart (kitchen cart). The cart is a small room with a a/c unit, it stays pretty cool in there.