A chemotherapy protocol for lymphosarcoma

melcvt00

Post   » Thu May 22, 2003 5:17 pm

Even though I never got to use this information, I figured I would pass on the information so that someone else might it useful.

For those that would like chemo drug information in regards to lymphosarcoma, I've found this information (talked to an oncologist at the University of Illinois):

Prednisone/Prednisolone - 2mg/kg/day, divided in half for BID dosing. Even if chemo is not done, this has been shown to improve quality of life.

Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) - 150-200mg/m2 (squared) SQ
This is to be done every other week to start off with, and starting at the lowest dose to determine the animal's ability to tolerate the medication. Dosing can be increased slowly to meet the highest dose done weekly.

The very minimum of bloodwork with this protocol is a white count done every other week, or every week if chemo is increased to that frequency.

melcvt00

Post   » Tue May 27, 2003 6:46 am

Julian's chemo protocol:

Protocol they are using:
Predisone 0.1 cc by mouth daily
Leukeran ( cancer drug) 1/4 tablet every other day. orally ( MUST wear gloves!!!!)
Baytril 0.5 cc once a day orally
Vitamin K 0.15 cc SQ every other day
Lasix 0.02cc SQ every other day

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 27, 2003 10:01 am

Julian, can you give the mg's/kg? The actual dose? Or the weight of your animal and the concentration in mg/cc? This is another example of information that is not truly useful, other than to say that these drugs are being administered, it tells us very little.

We need the weight of the pig and the concentration of each drug per cc to know what the dose is.

Dose rate is in mg/kg
Solution is mg(of drug)/cc
If we have the weight of the pig, we can figure out the dose rate in mg/kg.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 27, 2003 11:08 pm

I'll e-mail her owner. I returned all her medical records to her after Blondie died.

In hindsight, I wish that I had photocopied her medical records for future general reference. I was too shook up after loosing her to think straight to ask permission : (

Sharlene is very busy and always has some big medical issues that she is working with amongst her many pigs.

We share the same vet but his working situation is iffy untill he buys into a practice. He's been offered an exotics research position at UC Davis. It might be good overall for animals, but it would be tough to lose him as our regular vet. I'm scheduled to see him next week, so perhaps I can clarify the information then.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue May 27, 2003 11:23 pm

Please, please, please....

I would LOVE it if Dr. O was at UCD! They really need some good exotics vets there. Even research is better than nothing. He could even work into a clinical position, if he wanted.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 2:51 am

He's a great guy and an awesome vet!

Working funky hours at two different emergency vet practices is inconvenient but I'll do it to see him. Losing him with regular hours at Montclair was a huge issue. The owner/vet there is such a jerk.

His insight and knowledge into exotics is incredible. He is very close to his Mom in New York, who has very serious health issues, and I dread the day he decides to move back to be closer to her.

He really likes the laid back Berkeley life style. I'm hoping it keeps him here. Great vet care makes life so much easier.