18 more Lab Piggies need rescued

TX Rustlers

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:05 pm

We got an e-mail today saying there were 18 more Lab piggies that needed to be rescued.

We still have 15 of the 32 we took from them March 2008

How depressing

Post   » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Oh gosh, I am sorry! Are they from a college or a company's testing lab? I remember reading about the other ones you took in last year, I can't believe there are still 15 left.

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:06 am

Can we start protesting or something against people using them in labs? grr I see many of those situations here but with rabbits or mice.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:24 am

Same University, the one that told me they weren't going to use Guinea Pigs any more.

Most people don't even give them a second look when they are here because 'they look like rats'

All but 7 of the ones we have adopted, were adopted by volunteers and fosters

Oh Sus, if only I thought there was even a chance we would make a difference, that's a battle too big for us

You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Sus, that's a battle I tried to get involved in years ago when I first became interested in animal welfare and good guinea pig care.

They are at least protected under the AWA, which doesn't mean squat as far as their care and what they are subject to, but it makes recordkeeping necessary (and thus, of course, onerous) to researchers who will then use rats and mice if they can. (Rats and mice are, astonishingly enough, not considered "animals" [thank you, Jesse Helms] and therefore are exempt from the provisions of the AWA.)

Enough people believe that animal research is beneficial and enough people think they can somehow become immortal, I guess (cynicism fully intended) to keep the grant machine running. Oh, and plenty of "researchers" who might have to get a real job if they couldn't get a grant to perform worthless experiments that have already been done dozens of times before ... not to mention the lack of correlation between animal results and the human reaction (to substance x, procedure y, whatever).

Rant for another thread. TX R, do you think you'll be able to help them? (For those who are wondering, these are all PEW's and nearly impossible to adopt out.)

TX Rustlers

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 pm

I have sent in the paperwork to 'adopt them'. to prevent them from being gassed.

Now I am praying for a miracle.

We are working on a plea for donations and adopters which we will hopefully get posted on our website soon.

We have a major issue with space (I have absolutely no floor space left at all) In fact tomorrow I will be splitting my personal pig's 2 x 5's into duplexes so we can fit in the piggies we have already committed to - 4 from Lufkin and 2 from Dallas.

Cavy Slave since '05

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:07 am

Made a small donation. Thanks for taking in the piggies.

Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:51 am

Could you piggy train some out to the different rescues out west?

TX Rustlers

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:04 am

Thank you CavyConfusion

Would be glad to try and organize something, if anyone had room. I would be concerned about stress levels though, the 1 hour drive the last time was one of the worst I have ever done with piggies.

2 of the females, according to the lab, have hairloss from stress.

I am still waiting for the lab vet to evaluate them before they are released

Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:55 am

I wonder if Piggie Poo still has some openings.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Still no release for the lab piggies - I was hoping to get them this weekend

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:21 am

If you ever need some cozies or sleeping bags, I would be happy to sew some and send them over for free. In case you were low on supplies or anything, might help a little. Let me know and good luck.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 am

Thank you Vicky that would be great.

We really appreciate any help right now

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:56 am

Just let me know how many you need and beds or sleeping bags.
I'll just send them to the address on the website. And if you don't mind, they might come in some old ebay boxes I never used. hehe

Post   » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:49 pm

I live in Texas, and I am looking to adopt. Where are you located TX? I am in the Houston area.

Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 am

Julia1140 - just north of Dallas http://www.theguineapigrescue.com/

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Sent you a donation.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks Vanillapooh!

Post   » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I'll make half beds half sleeping bags.
How many will you need? Don't be shy, I'll sew as many as you need. :)

TX Rustlers

Post   » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 am

Well, it is hard asking for a specific quantity

It would be nice to know how many lab piggies are together and giving them a bag / bed per cage to share when they 1st get here

Would 9 / 10 be too many?

203 posts