Post op dress: a surgery sock

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 am

Years ago, I developed a simple post-op dress for piggies, together with a local rescue who takes sick and special needs pigs only. They had 60-80 sick piggies constantly, they had so many surgeries a week, having them give input, try it and comment, made it turn into a great idea. It took several months back and forth, till the idea was finalized.

Lots of piggies chew surgery stitches. It's also hard to keep a wound on the body clean. If a wound needs extra dressing, it's almost impossible to keep something on, but with this "dress" it can be kept in place or the "dress" can function as a cover as well on it's own, because you can sanitize wash them after.

You just place the pigs over the fabric. The holes of the feet slip over fast, fold the flaps and close the velcro. It takes me less than 5 secs to put one on. The pigs don't seem to mind at all to put one one, I tried it a few times myself. Wearing one does not seem to bother them after an op. The V shape, cut out at the bottom, prevents pee soaking into it. The stretchy material and the way the velcro is placed, makes it easy to fit any pig.

You all can copy it and I hope it will help some of you.

Here are some pigs of Floopy modeling it, years ago.

And this is it then:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:46 am

You haven't had any guinea pigs trying to slip out of it? Have you tried it on severe mite cases? It looks comfortable enough that they might not mind it so much.

Let me know if I can add your pics permanently to this post. I can also link here from the bandaging page.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:47 am

I'd seen it before and have a link from my website to the person who makes them but I hadn't seen the overview of the coat before. I'm still waiting for the ones that are being made for Oscar. When I receive them I'll post how he does with wearing one. He didn't appreciate the contraption that I made for him even though it protected his skin.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:08 am

It stays on well, I tried it out. They can sleep, eat, crawl into a hammock, onto tiles to get onto the food bowl, through the hay.

The pigs don't seem to mind at all ad maybe it's because you can make it fit so well.

GuineaPigFun, it's Theresa on your site who makes them, who got involved at the start to do the sowing, as I can't sow anymore. I asked her to help out and she does a wonderful job making them indeed, also for people who can't sow. So, the plans were sent from me to Knoevel, the rescue, to Theresa, she mailed a try-out, then more discussion and finally Knoevel got a few sets from us to use and copy if they wanted to. Lots of hassle, great design in the end.

Lynx, if you can use this thread, please do so, I would be so happy if it helps pigs in future.

BamBam

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:41 pm

This looks great. I had been thinking about something along those lines for Bob and Vic.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks, pigjes. I have a link to this thread on this page:

gl/bandaging.html

I like your design. It does look comfortable.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:38 am

I'll inform Theresa. I bet she will be pleased too!!!

I forgot to add: you can use the pics as much as you need to!

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 am

That dress looks really good! Pigjes, you say it is strechy, but exactly what material is it made from?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 am

I have several now, Theresa just send me some as a prezzie. We tried varied types of cotton fabric. It's the type of cotton that's used for underwear, I think it's called stretch cotton, so it's not 100% cotton. It needs to be hygienic, needs to be able to cope with a hot wash perfectly, or a sanitize wash. That's why this material is best.

The type of cotton underwear cotton that's sold here, is ribbed or even, with print or not, in all colors.

The one type for the post-op dresses I personally really like most, is the ribbed one, as those can be made to fit perfectly around the pig, they feel like featherweights, these are the ones I bet the pigs even forget they have one on. You know what I mean. Some clothes we have on, we feel all day long, like the stuff I'm wearing today. Some clothes fit perfectly and feels like part of your skin. That's the difference I am talking about.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1