Help in gaining back weight after being ill.

Littleplane

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:31 pm

My guinea pig was very ill about a month ago. The veterinarian I was going to determined that it was probably a blockage (though she couldn't see it on the x-rays). She had stopped eating, drinking, and pooping.

We had her on Sub Q fluids (which was so sad for me to do...) and critical care until she starting pooping again. Once she did that, we were told to feed her hay only and dark greens until she was eating well on her own, then add in her pellets.

She eats Oxbow guinea pig pellets and Oxbow hay. She is about 6 months old and is smooth coated and looks to be a golden agouti (but I'm no expert).

I figured she would put the weight on right away and gain it all back but she really hasn't. She gained a little bit back but she still is boney. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense because she eats literally ALL day her hay and pellets and squeals to let me know when she's running low on either, so she's interested. She gets piles of parsley and occassionally carrots. She poops A LOT. She seems happy, wants out, walks around, doesn't sit in her box puffed up, squeals when I come home so she can be let out...

She was 436 grams at her lowest, gained to 560 grams, and then just stopped gaining, stopped losing. Is there something else I could feed her to help her gain weight faster? As I said, she's eating ALL day, seems happy and interested, etc.

Am I just being paranoid or should I be worried?

slfalzone

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:44 pm

I think you should keep handfeeding until you can figure out if there is another problem or if you just need to help her get her strength back.

If there is another issue then she'll need all her strength to fight it, and if not it couldbe that she just needs your help for a while. She should at least be maintaining her weight.

Good luck!

egustavson

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:09 pm

It sounds like she is doing well. From the advice I have gotten here and my experience, pigs gain weight slowly. How long has she been the same weight? Is she eating pellets for young guinea pigs?

Littleplane

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:30 pm

She gained the weight back quickly at first (within the first couple weeks) and then has just maintained that weight.

egustavson

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 pm

It may be normal for your pig (What is his or her name?) to plateau for a while and then start gaining weight again. Also, I asked about the pellets. Is your pig eating Cavy Cuisine (timothy hay pellet) or Cavy Performance (alfalfa pellet)? The alfalfa pellets are higher in protein and may be a way to help her gain weight if she is not eating them already. Others may chime in and let you know if such a diet is a good idea under the circumstances. I am not an expert--it is something I thought of that may help. My pig is older and the vet did not think an alfalfa pellet was a good idea in her case.

Another possibility is to supplement her diet with Critical Care. You could leave some moistened CC in a small dish for her and see if she will eat it.

Littleplane

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Let's see... I want to say it's cavy cuisine (I'm at work right now and can't look at the bag). I'm like, 99% sure it is. It's Timothy Hay also. As far as I know, that's all they sell here where I live but I can check again. If alfalfa will help, I'll try that for sure after I wean her off the stuff she's on now. I just don't want her to get sick again.

Giving her the Sub Q injections was so sad. :(

Littleplane

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Oh, and I'm sorry, her name is kind of weird, that's why I didn't include it.

I couldn't think of a name when I got her so I was calling her "Piggy" temporarily until I could think of something better. That never happened, so I enlisted the help of friends and family, now she has a whole bunch of different names including but not limited to:

Woodchip, Baby, Tank, Fluffy, Waffles, Piggy... the list goes on and on. That's why I didn't say her name. :P

egustavson

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:54 pm

You may want to check with your vet to see if he/she recommends alfalfa pellets for your pig. I think it should be okay since she is still young and has not reached adult size. The bag of Cavy Cuisine recommends mixing 1 part of the new pellet with 3 parts of the one you are using to start and increasing the proportion of the new pellet over time. I don't have the bag anymore and can't remember the time frame or the intermediate proportions. I got KM pellets with the intention of switching from Oxbow but my pigs wouldn't eat them. I have yet to try gradually mixing them over time.

I agree with you about the subQ injections, but I think they were necessary.

Littleplane

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm sure it somewhere on this site (I was looking around but I'm at work and couldn't do a WHOLE lot) but what is wrong with Alfalfa for Guinea Pigs?

And thank you everyone for responding.

EDIT: I know Alfalfa is bad for them, I just don't know why.

lainier

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:27 pm

How about some critical care mix.

Littleplane

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:34 am

I have some but the vet said if she was eating on her own I should let her do that. The critical care was what really helped her put on weight but I think since she made such good progress to start with the vet thought she didn't need it anymore.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:41 am

I don't think there is any harm in giving her Critical Care. I would call the vet and discuss my concerns about her gaining weight and ask about it (and the alfalfa pellets).