Medical and Care Reference
Home Register Profile Faq Records GLX-Files Search

Carrot tops/greens, watercress and parsley root?

Guinea Lynx Forums -> Cavy Chat Print
Older Thread :: Newer Thread  
12/20/2009, 7:28 pm
codyNpatches   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

I was at the store tonight trying to get my boys some new veggies. I have a couple of questions.

How often can guinea pigs eat carrot greens? How much?

I thought I read somewhere that any kind of root can be harmful. Like parsley root?

How often can they have watercress?
12/20/2009, 8:53 pm
Lynx   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Modest amounts infrequently. They are quite high in calcium.
12/20/2009, 9:03 pm
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

Thanks Lynx

So parsley root they can have as well?
12/20/2009, 9:03 pm
slavetofuzzy   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
slavetofuzzy
Zzzzzz!

4 the Good of all Pigs

Lynx, is that the watercress? Usually when I buy a bunch of carrots with tops there aren't too many in the bunch. I can divide that pretty well between my 10 pigs but for 2 pigs I would imagine a couple of sprigs apiece every couple of days would be ok?
12/21/2009, 8:28 am
EllieMom   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
EllieMom

My pigs are afraid of watercress. When I tried to serve them some they acted like I was trying to poison them.
12/21/2009, 8:42 am
Feylin   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Feylin
Lois' Mom

I thought it was the cress that had the calcium?

We don't have problems with sludge here, so I do feed carrot tops and cress whenever I get them.
12/21/2009, 8:54 am
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

They gobbled up the carrot tops! I cut the top chunk off of two carrots and left the greens and gave one to each pig. They inhaled them!

I decided to print out the veggie chart from guineapigcages and I am going to post it on my fridge. It took me a few minutes to find it. Of course carrot greens are not on there.

Still curious about any kind of roots?
12/21/2009, 10:55 am
Lynx   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Lynx
Heartless Dictator

Sorry I wasn't more specific. The carrot tops are extremely high in calcium (someone had trouble finding the info but that's what we discovered).
12/21/2009, 11:07 am
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

Thanks Lynx. I will use it sparingly.
12/21/2009, 5:07 pm
slavetofuzzy
Zzzzzz!

4 the Good of all Pigs

Ah, good to know. I don't get them for my pigs very often and will keep it that way since I now know they are high in calcium. Thanks!
12/21/2009, 11:52 pm
sus4rabbitsnpigs   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
sus4rabbitsnpigs

Rabbits love carrot tops. They get the bulk of it here but the pigs get it sparingly.

They are good for babies or pregnant sows though!
12/22/2009, 11:32 am
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

Sus, what about any kinds of roots? Can guinea pigs have parsley root? I imagine it would be very high in calcium too.
12/22/2009, 3:15 pm
slavetofuzzy
Zzzzzz!

4 the Good of all Pigs

I don't think I'd feed any type of root. But if someone else knows any different, please let us know! Always nice to have more options.

The Whole Foods near me had some lovely bunches of dandelion greens today!
12/22/2009, 7:26 pm
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

STF, I am jealous that you have a whole foods so close to you.

I feel stupid asking this, but here it goes. Dandelions are those things found in your yard right? What do people use them for? I thought they were just weeds, but I keep seeing here that people are purchasing them at stores?
12/22/2009, 9:12 pm
sus4rabbitsnpigs   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
sus4rabbitsnpigs

Dandelion Greens :

I buy them at the farmer's market mostly. They are overprized at my Whole Foods - $4 for a tiny bunch.

Parsley roots are high in calcium. Don't know about feeding them. Google says they have positive effects on stomach and uterus ailments though.
12/22/2009, 9:19 pm
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

Thanks for the visual sus. That is cool about parsley root though! I'll stick to the veggies that are known to be safe.
12/23/2009, 8:22 am
Calvin & Hobes   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Calvin & Hobes

Carrots are a root! Radishes & turnips too. Unfortunately, it isn't as cut and dried as saying all roots are bad or all roots are good. THAT would make life too easy for us poor cavy slaves. lol

CnP the dandelions that you'd find in your yard aren't nearly that large. In lawns that are mown they tend to be smaller and grow very flat to the ground. Usually lower than the surrounding grass. If the sun will cooperate this morning I'll try to get you a photo of what the wild ones look like around here.
12/23/2009, 8:44 am
codyNpatches
Vegetable Hoarder

Supporter in '09 - '10

I mean, I know what they are I think, but didn't realize humans ate them? We have tons in our front yard, but unfortunately the boys can't have them.

They are the greens that have the yellow flower? Or and I am completely off my rocker here?
12/23/2009, 10:58 pm
tashab   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
tashab

Dandelions were originally brought to North America by European immigrants as an easy to grow salad green.
I live in the "little italy" neighbourhood of my city (note: i am not Italian), and dandelion greens are always available at our grocery store because of all the little old Italian grannies :)
They're actually pretty tasty - they remind me of a cross between spinach and arugula.
12/24/2009, 9:03 am
Calvin & Hobes   Link to Post Go to the top of this page  
Calvin & Hobes

Sorry, I took some photos yesterday with my phone but it's such a PITA to get them on the computer that I haven't tried yet. Yes, they have yellow flowers on them in the spring & summer months. If it's been a while since the DH put out fertilizer or sprayed the lawn then they should be fine. If it's rained on fertilizer at least once you're good. With pesticides or herbicides you're okay after a rain and two weeks. The only exception to that is if he's putting out some type of long lasting stuff for fleas or fire ants.

This applies to horses but since pigs are so small I'd likely wait a month instead of two weeks if he's used a pest or herbicide.
  ::    
Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic  

-22F = -30C
-4F = -20C
14F = -10C

32F = 0C
41F = 5C
50F = 10C
59F = 15C
68F = 20C
77F = 25C
86F = 30C
95F = 35C

98.6F = 37C
100.4F = 38C
102.2F = 39C
104.0F = 40C
105.8F = 41C
107.6F = 42C
109.4F = 43C
111.2F = 44C
113.0F = 45C
114.8F = 46C
116.6F = 47C
118.4F = 48C
120.2F = 49C
122.0F = 50C
Order your Cavy Health Record Book today!
Contact Us -- Home
Please Support Guinea Lynx in 2014

TRACIS' LINKS INDEX

Are you a Guinea Lynx Fan? Tell the world on Facebook!

Guinea Pigs are for Life