Scruffles medical thread

BamBam

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:12 am

Yes, it's a problem with all supplements that contain omega 3 including arthri aid omega. I'm not sure which fish oil is used in the latter but I don't suppose one is any more preferable than another?

Brainerror

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 am

the difference is that in atrhri aid it's added, in the other one the main ingredient was green lipped mussel. In arthri aid the main ingredient is glucosamine :)

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Scruffles has been a bit off colour the last 5 days or so and she has dropped 70g in a month (I know it's not that drastic, but it's a sign). I noticed her top two incisors are a bit discoloured. They're slightly yellow and not as white as her bottom ones.

Her nose is a bit crusty too, so she's on baytril for a week to see if that improves things.

Should I be worried about the discolouring? She still eats carrots etc with gusto.

She's 853g and is 6 (or more) years old.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 pm

The discoloring is unusual. I think of some antibiotics (perhaps long term baytril?) sometimes discoloring teeth (I may be misremembering this). She's a grand old girl. I hope she perks up.

BamBam

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Could be fungal infection.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:32 pm

That reminds me, teeth that have been infected or injured supposedly can discolor too.

Brainerror

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 am

I'm baaaaaack!

Scruffles has another lodged stone and a lovely URI on top - woohoo!

The good news is that she's improving slowly on baytril (today is day 4) and her weight has stabilised (she was 828g, she's now 870g).

No idea wtf I'm going to do about this stone.. it's mobile, but too small to massage out like last time.

She's still on metacam & arthri aid for arthritis (which has greatly improved her mobility).

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am

I'm sorry to hear about Scruffles feeling poorly. I hope somehow the stone will work itself out quickly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Poor Scruffles. I wish our guinea pigs didn't get stones!

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:25 am

It's been a while, but this doesn't mean nothing happened.

A month ago we removed yet another gigantic stone from Scruffles' urethra and again it was almost 1cm long and over 5mm wide *cringe*

Sadly since we came back from holiday last Sunday after 3 weeks we discovered she had stopped walking and lost 100+g.
I asked my sitter when she noticed her having issues and she said that the previous thursday she displayed discomfort in her back legs but had perked up the following 2 days after so it seemed like her arthritis had just flared a little.

We went to the vet yesterday afternoon after I found Scruffles immobile and screaming in pain whenever I touched her back legs, especially the ankle joints. She improved slightly after her daily metacam, but looked dehydrated and weak (as she would be as she can't get to the water/food now).
Our vet did some spinal tests and luckily it's nothing to do with that, but she says it's acute sever onset of arthritis which has completely locked up her ankle joints and is also affecting her knees and hips. Because of this defecating is very difficult too and poo gets stuck in her (we pull them out manually).

As Scruffles was already on arthri-aid (glucosamine supplement) and metacam there was little else we could give on top apart from opioids and we didn't want that (having a stoned animal isn't a life). So our vet increased her metacam up to 0.5ml twice a day of dog metacam and for us to add physio and hydro therapy.

I was hoping that the higher dose of metacam would encourage her to move, but she has been on her pillow in the same position all night (I got up to water and feed her every so often).

Her weight is 748g at the moment as she has lost all her muscle tone in her rump and legs.

Our vet says she has seen recoveries in pigs this bad before, but if this treatment doesn't work it looks like bad news.

Scruffles is 7 (may be older as she was adopted) and battled through 12 bladder stones. It would be sad if she ended this way..

Any tips or advice that could aid her recovery or make her more comfy is greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I will document her treatment so if it works it would be a good thing to have on record.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 am

Poor Scruffles.

My Arnold suffered with arthritis, mainly in his back knees.

I know you will anyway, but watch out for sore feet. When his arthritis took a turn for the worse he suffered with really sore feet, they were very red.

He seemed to enjoy having warmth on his joints, I gave him legs a warm soak in a bowl every day. That seemed to help him find a bit more movement briefly.

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:45 am

We will be getting a hot water bottle later today or I may bring the cozy pad which is microwaveable from work today.

She will get warm baths when we do her hydro therapy :)

The vet checked her feet and said she was very happy that there were no signs of sore hocks or urine scalding from her lying in one place all day. This is probably because I made her several soft comfy pillows to lie on when she was first diagnosed with arthritis.

It may still get worse regardless though, so I'll eagle eye her feet every day to be sure tom prevent/alleviate that.